Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently got my wife's XC40 and last night I saw some odd items when it was plugged in. We hardly drove the car yesterday, so maybe the SOC dropped 3-5%. I have the charge set at 80% and the vehicle was plugged in yesterday to a Wallbox Pulsar Plus EVSE. I looked this morning and the charge session showed ~13hours (it only count charge time when it's actively charging the car) and it was approximately 10.5kwh for the session, which is extremely high for what it should have been. This morning when I pulled the EVSE app up, it said the car was still charging and the charge pull was bouncing between .3kw to 1.5, but mostly hovering in the .3-.4kw range. I plugged my Tesla in to the second EVSE to see if it was an issue with the wall unit and the Tesla pulled current for a few minutes then it immediately when into Waiting status, which is normal since the car was not requesting any power.

I had the Wi-Fi on and last night I set up a schedule to be ready at 7am during the week. Those are the only things that I changed yesterday compared to the settings over the rest of the weekend, and last night was the only night with the issue.

Another odd thing is that i have my EVSE set at 40A and I have the XC40 set up for 48A, but the XC40 will never pull over 38A. Again I tried the Tesla on the same EVSE and it's pulling the full 40A.

I have turned the Wi-Fi off now and I will turn off the scheduling for tonight to see if it does the same thing again, but figured I'd ask if anyone else has seen these items before too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I can only comment on the EVSE. I have a Grizzl-E and have car set for 48A but it delivers 38A instead of the 40A. Always has but not sure why. For me it's a non issue.

·
Registered
462 Posts
As noted By John above, I’d assume the EVSE and communication between that and the car is what is making for the 38A draw. I’d also take the data on screen with grain of salt. I have an LCD display on my EVSE and it usually shows 40.2A overall (it does fluctuate in real time to 39.x -> 40.x while charging) — but still that is within 5% of the requested amperage, and probably within spec. So prob nothing to worry about—

As for the issue with the car basically drawing power constantly, that is odd. I will be curious how the timer scheduling might impact that. I also wonder if the Volvo does a less good job of going idle, compared to Tesla. With that said, our XC40 plugged into our J1772 cable (Amazon bought NEMA 14-50 EVSE) — after fully charged, the unit always shows idle. i dont have WiFi on the EVSE so i have no visibility to see if it turned back on, but i have been out in my garage many times after finished charging and never witnessed it back “charging” (even when stll plugged in)

almost sounds like you have a phantom drain of some sort for some reason — does the battery lose any SOC overnight when -not- plugged in?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
The Wallbox will count the time it is plugged in until the time you unplug it as the session time. If you look at the portal (or app) you will so how many hours it really delivered Energy.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue MFD 6/21
349 Posts
I’m getting a similar but opposite situation.
Car was charged to 80%, left plugged overnight, preconditioned in the morning and after preconditioning was done charge was showing at 84%.
I’m using the Grizzl-E smart charger so I still need to learn to use the “smart” options that can be configured.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As noted By John above, I’d assume the EVSE and communication between that and the car is what is making for the 38A draw. I’d also take the data on screen with grain of salt. I have an LCD display on my EVSE and it usually shows 40.2A overall (it does fluctuate in real time to 39.x -> 40.x while charging) — but still that is within 5% of the requested amperage, and probably within spec. So prob nothing to worry about—

As for the issue with the car basically drawing power constantly, that is odd. I will be curious how the timer scheduling might impact that. I also wonder if the Volvo does a less good job of going idle, compared to Tesla. With that said, our XC40 plugged into our J1772 cable (Amazon bought NEMA 14-50 EVSE) — after fully charged, the unit always shows idle. i dont have WiFi on the EVSE so i have no visibility to see if it turned back on, but i have been out in my garage many times after finished charging and never witnessed it back “charging” (even when stll plugged in)

almost sounds like you have a phantom drain of some sort for some reason — does the battery lose any SOC overnight when -not- plugged in?
The XC40 won't pull above 38A (EVSE is only showing ~8.5kw though) from the EVSE even though the EVSE is set at 40A (~9.6kw). I plugged the Tesla in the same EVSE and it pulls the full amount the EVSE will provide.....this is just odd and not really a huge concern.

The wife took the XC40 to work today and it was 64% when she got to work and 64% when she left work.....no phantom draw on the car when it is unplugged.

Friday night and Saturday night everything functioned correctly with the XC40, so that's why i'm thinking it's the timer or Wi-Fi....only things I changed before last night. I guess i'll know tomorrow!

Reactions: arijaycomet

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m getting a similar but opposite situation.
Car was charged to 80%, left plugged overnight, preconditioned in the morning and after preconditioning was done charge was showing at 84%.
I’m using the Grizzl-E smart charger so I still need to learn to use the “smart” options that can be configured.
My Tesla does that sometimes as well. Most days it will be what I set it at, but some days it will be 2-3% higher than the target. I just ignore that little oddity and am happy it's not way overshooting where I want it at.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Wallbox will count the time it is plugged in until the time you unplug it as the session time. If you look at the portal (or app) you will so how many hours it really delivered Energy.
When i look at the app on our units, it will only show the session time as when it's actively charging, otherwise it goes into a Waiting status while it's still plugged in....the Waiting time is not counted for the session time on our units. For example, on 11/6 it had a session time/charged for ~3.25hours and it took almost 19kWh when we used about 20-30% SOC. Last night it went for 13 hours and added 11kWh when we used maybe 3% SOC yesterday....definitely not right.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
When i look at the app on our units, it will only show the session time as when it's actively charging, otherwise it goes into a Waiting status while it's still plugged in....the Waiting time is not counted for the session time on our units. For example, on 11/6 it had a session time/charged for ~3.25hours and it took almost 19kWh when we used about 20-30% SOC. Last night it went for 13 hours and added 11kWh when we used maybe 3% SOC yesterday....definitely not right.
Are you seeing the 13 hours under the left date column or in the Energy Colum? Here is my last few sessions. Always seems to be consistent with plugin time to unplug time in the left column then the hours actually delivering power in the Energy column. Makes sure you are at 5.4.6 firmware as I believe that is still the latest.

Rectangle Font Parallel Software Screenshot

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
190 Posts
I can only comment on the EVSE. I have a Grizzl-E and have car set for 48A but it delivers 38A instead of the 40A. Always has but not sure why. For me it's a non issue.
Non-issue here too, but I've noticed a couple charging oddities after updating to 1.7. First, I also have a 40A Grizzl-e (love it) and have always pulled 39A thru it -- now it's 38A. Second, I always charge from 20-30% to 80% SOC -- now it stops at 81%. Lastly, the charging speed slowed from 27 to ~20 mi/hr. Again, no big deal, but it's curious.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you seeing the 13 hours under the left date column or in the Energy Colum? Here is my last few sessions. Always seems to be consistent with plugin time to unplug time in the left column then the hours actually delivering power in the Energy column. Makes sure you are at 5.4.6 firmware as I believe that is still the latest.

View attachment 1655
My display looks slightly different. I highlighted in yellow last night with the abnormal charge. Everything on the Tesla has been consistent.

Rectangle Font Material property Communication Device Screenshot
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Communication Device

·
Registered
124 Posts
My experience is similar to @He Keith. I have ChargePoint. The summary page shows total plugged in time. Then there’s a detail page that shows power draw over time. Most of mine are a straight line across, but sometimes get variations through the night, as attached.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Software

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Website shows the same as the app. Active energy for over 13 hours for last nights session.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Website shows the same as the app. Active energy for over 13 hours for last nights session.
Odd and you have up to date firmware? Try unplugging Wallbox for a minute or 2 and plugging it back in. Their support is pretty good at following up.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Odd and you have up to date firmware? Try unplugging Wallbox for a minute or 2 and plugging it back in. Their support is pretty good at following up.
Both units are running 5.4.6 and hardwired. I plugged the Tesla into the EVSE the XC40 was plugged into last night and it performed exactly as it should when the Tesla was plugged in today.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well yesterday I turned off Wi-Fi and the schedule for the climate control. The EVSE went into Waiting status or kept indicating charging, but the car was not pulling any power even though the EVSE said charging still. The big thing is the XC40 did not continue to pull power all night, which was the major issue. I’ll monitor for a few more days to make sure it doesn’t start pulling power all night again and call Wallbox if they can explain the charging/waiting status.

Update: I think everything functioned as designed last night. I realized I had opened the app this morning, so that must have woke up the car which caused the EVSE to then say charging. After a little while, the EVSE switched back to Waiting. The charge session was correct when I looked this morning and the XC40 was unplugged.

·
Registered
462 Posts
@Rousie13 — glad you’ve seemingly figured it out — and it may just be the wording it is choosing — but hopefully no phantom drains or unwanted charging — glad you have a solid direction there—- g’luck!

PS: I’ve owned 3x Jeep Wranglers; your profile picture being prompt for this comment. I just briefly owned a 4XE 2021 PHEV — but not enough electric range for me to enjoy. Great jeep tho, the JLs are amazing compared to the ones I learned to drive on 25+ years ago

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Rousie13 — glad you’ve seemingly figured it out — and it may just be the wording it is choosing — but hopefully no phantom drains or unwanted charging — glad you have a solid direction there—- g’luck!

PS: I’ve owned 3x Jeep Wranglers; your profile picture being prompt for this comment. I just briefly owned a 4XE 2021 PHEV — but not enough electric range for me to enjoy. Great jeep tho, the JLs are amazing compared to the ones I learned to drive on 25+ years ago
There was a phantom drain when it was plugged in....not 100% sure if it was the Schedule I had set up for the Climate or the fact I had the Wi-Fi activated.....either way they are both disabled now on the XC40. This appears to have taken care of my phantom draw/awake constantly issue when plugged in.....will reconfirm this tonight.

Yeah the picture is old.....no longer a Jeep owner. I had a 2020 JLU Rubicon 6 speed, but ended up trading that in when I bought the Tesla in 2020. Definitely miss it on the nice days.

Reactions: arijaycomet
1 - 19 of 19 Posts