Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Ultimate
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post after doing a lot of reading here this last month. After many years of looking for a replacement for her much-loved 2005 XC70, my wife decided to take the plunge and purchased a 2022 XC40 Recharge Ultimate. We had to wait about a month for it to arrive, which gave me time to have a 240V/50A circuit added to our garage and to do some research on what to expect in the future with this new vehicle. Being a life-long car enthusiast, the first thing I did was look for a Recharge forum, and this one has proved to be a wealth of information. She took possession a couple of days ago and so far, she's very happy with it.

I'm particularly impressed with the design and the quality of the interior. One thing I'm not very impressed with, however, is the charging cable. While manipulating it today, the AC side of the bulky cylinder on the cable fell off. I assumed that it had not been properly connected but, looking at its design, realized that it's very easy to separate those parts. It takes very little force and rotation to disconnect, which is a problem for us because the cable just barely covers the distance from our outlet to the car.

Has anyone else had problems with this design? Are there better and longer cables available?

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem with the design. Only thing I wish is to be a longer cable and wall mount option. Just don't pull too much.
My issue with the design is that it doesn't latch; a slight twist is enough to disconnect it, which is impossible to avoid when handling such a stiff cable from a spooled state.

Looking at Volvo's website, I see that there are longer cables available but can't find specifics about them, such as price and availability.

·
Registered
2022 Thunder Grey XC40 Recharge Twin
6 Posts
The original cable that came with my 2022 model was defective. As soon as the white light came up in the big cylinder it turned red. According to the directions, a blinking red light means that the there's a hardware malfunction. Took it to the dealership and they switched with the much slender cylinder. Now it is working fine, I have a 240 connection at home and I have no issues charging now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The original cable that came with my 2022 model was defective. As soon as the white light came up in the big cylinder it turned red. According to the directions, a blinking red light means that the there's a hardware malfunction. Took it to the dealership and they switched with the much slender cylinder. Now it is working fine, I have a 240 connection at home and I have no issues charging now.
That doesn't inspire much confidence. Looking at its poor design, I wonder if it's even weatherproof. Ours will need to withstand Canadian weather, which I barely can!

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
201 Posts
Red light means error. Error could be external like no ground detected on 240V socket or internal. The charger supposedly should be ok with moisture if it is not submerged or left on the rain. Not going to try that.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
121 Posts
I have no problem with the cord and the 14-50 end either. Tesla has a similar system but theirs just "plugs" together, no turn lock. I simply accepted the free ChargePoint wall adapter Volvo offered to us and hard-wire installed it to provide electric at up to 48amps which can used used with either car. Now I carry the original cord in the rear underfloor area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no problem with the cord and the 14-50 end either. Tesla has a similar system but theirs just "plugs" together, no turn lock. I simply accepted the free ChargePoint wall adapter Volvo offered to us and hard-wire installed it to provide electric at up to 48amps which can used used with either car. Now I carry the original cord in the rear underfloor area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking at ChargePoint photos, I see that there is no bulky cylinder on their cable. I assume that means that whatever is in that cylinder is not essential to charge the car. I wonder what is in that cylinder, other than the electronics to power that ridiculously bright light around one of its ends. Our driveway is on a busy street and that light really attracts attention from passersby - I covered it with black electrical tape.

·
Registered
296 Posts

See link above. We’ve been using this cable since May 2021 when we traded our Tesla in for the XC40. It has worked great (sometimes if you don’t push/seat it fully in then it gets mad, but if you give a firm cable placement into the XC40 then it works flawlessly). This cable handles up to 40A which is fine for me since my home is only wired for that (note: the cable with the car will permit the full 48A, so this is a step down overall). But this 25ft cable is great for harder to reach spots, which was a necessity for us.

Again for me it was all the power i needed with a length that met my demands. For some, you may want to look for a 48A cable obviously, if you dont want to lose max amperage. Anyhow, the above cable has been GREAT for us! Hope this helps…

·
Registered
502 Posts
Looking at ChargePoint photos, I see that there is no bulky cylinder on their cable. I assume that means that whatever is in that cylinder is not essential to charge the car.
I would assume whatever is in the "bulky cylinder" is the same as whatever is in the Chargepoint wall box - eg, the main electronic components required to talk to the car and regulate power flow. Pretty sure it's essential, and not purely "decorative".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

See link above. We’ve been using this cable since May 2021 when we traded our Tesla in for the XC40. It has worked great (sometimes if you don’t push/seat it fully in then it gets mad, but if you give a firm cable placement into the XC40 then it works flawlessly). This cable handles up to 40A which is fine for me since my home is only wired for that (note: the cable with the car will permit the full 48A, so this is a step down overall). But this 25ft cable is great for harder to reach spots, which was a necessity for us.

Again for me it was all the power i needed with a length that met my demands. For some, you may want to look for a 48A cable obviously, if you dont want to lose max amperage. Anyhow, the above cable has been GREAT for us! Hope this helps…
Thanks for the cable information. Do you have any concerns about using a non-Volvo cable? There are warnings in the user's manual against doing so. Wonder if it could null warranties if something were to go wrong.

Regarding the bulky cylinder, I did some searching and Volvo calls it a 'residual current device' and a 'control module'.
'The charging cable has a circuit breaker that helps protect against current overloads and thermal overheating.' Good to have!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks for the cable information. Do you have any concerns about using a non-Volvo cable? There are warnings in the user's manual against doing so. Wonder if it could null warranties if something were to go wrong.
Wouldn't charging your car at a public site basically be a non-Volvo cable? Wouldn't visiting any AC/DC charging station be using cables that were not to Volvo's specifications? There are standards for the connector (J1772) and I assume that also calls out what gauge of wires need to be in the cable itself, etc. I cannot fathom why they would care or what would make it an issue.

Another way to think about it-- there are hundreds of brands of EVSE out there, specifically the wall mounted kind. Like the ChargePoint Home, the JuiceBox, the WallBox, Grizzl-E ... the list goes on and on. Volvo has no leg to stand on saying that those somehow work any different or better/worse than the cable included, when there is standardization to things like the communications protocols, etc. I call BS on that --

So the TL;DR is that I have zero concerns :p

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
156 Posts

Regarding the bulky cylinder, I did some searching and Volvo calls it a 'residual current device' and a 'control module'.
'The charging cable has a circuit breaker that helps protect against current overloads and thermal overheating.' Good to have!
Wait, so that would mean you can’t use a non-Volvo level 2 charger or a public charger?
Wouldn't charging your car at a public site basically be a non-Volvo cable? Wouldn't visiting any AC/DC charging station be using cables that were not to Volvo's specifications? There are standards for the connector (J1772) and I assume that also calls out what gauge of wires need to be in the cable itself, etc. I cannot fathom why they would care or what would make it an issue.

Another way to think about it-- there are hundreds of brands of EVSE out there, specifically the wall mounted kind. Like the ChargePoint Home, the JuiceBox, the WallBox, Grizzl-E ... the list goes on and on. Volvo has no leg to stand on saying that those somehow work any different or better/worse than the cable included, when there is standardization to things like the communications protocols, etc. I call BS on that --

So the TL;DR is that I have zero concerns :p
You beat me to it. I was typing the same response as you posted yours :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Volvo has no leg to stand on saying that those somehow work any different or better/worse than the cable included, when there is standardization to things like the communications protocols, etc. I call BS on that --
Their 'residual current device' has been designed to a certain specification to control current vs temperature and to filter out voltage spikes and surges, I assume. If another brand of cable is used, that has more relaxed specs, and the car is damaged, I would think that Volvo has a leg to stand on, maybe two. I worked in high tech my entire career and I've seen many examples of sloppy electrical design.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Do you have any concerns about using a non-Volvo cable? There are warnings in the user's manual against doing so. Wonder if it could null warranties if something were to go wrong.
Perhaps you could point us to exactly where in the user manual it says this?

As others have pointed out - if we take what you're saying at face value, then you can't plug ANYTHING other than this Volvo cable into your car, without potentially voiding the warranty. That eliminates ALL public chargers, ALL 3rd-party EVSEs (wall boxes), etc. Somehow I don't think that's the case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Perhaps you could point us to exactly where in the user manual it says this?

As others have pointed out - if we take what you're saying at face value, then you can't plug ANYTHING other than this Volvo cable into your car, without potentially voiding the warranty. That eliminates ALL public chargers, ALL 3rd-party EVSEs (wall boxes), etc. Somehow I don't think that's the case.
I only asked if there were any concerns about affecting the warranty if another cable was used. I don't know if it does or not.

Here is one warning (in red) in the manual:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Their 'residual current device' has been designed to a certain specification to control current vs temperature and to filter out voltage spikes and surges, I assume. If another brand of cable is used, that has more relaxed specs, and the car is damaged, I would think that Volvo has a leg to stand on, maybe two. I worked in high tech my entire career and I've seen many examples of sloppy electrical design.
Overall I would agree with you here, in the sense that damage could definitely occur by errors in the hardware outside of the car itself. Defects could occur even in the Volvo supplied charge cable. But we're cresting into new territory here.

For example: here in Ohio there was a gas station mixup recently here:
Now.... this was clearly not the mistake of the car manufacturer, and the damage can most definitely be linked to the gas station, who presumably will bear the burden of the costs of repairs as needed here. But, nobody gets "gas at home" so there is always some expectation you'll refuel your car outside of your home.

In contrast, many people will ONLY charge at home. But it would unfair for the Volvo brand or any brand to assume you'd NEVER charge at home. In fact, the free 2 yr EA charging now offered with new Polestar vehicles (and 250 kW with Volvo) indicates clearly that DC fast charging is expected. Let's assume briefly that a hardware snafu caused your car some damage while at an EA station. Volvo would not be liable, though I could see them being cited in litigation, but it seems likely that once the failure was deemed to be that of EA, then they would cover the costs. I suspect they carry liability insurance, for this exact sort of occurrence.

As it then pertains to our conversation here, I'd assume most sellers carry insurance as applicable to the nature of their business. I own/operate my families 3rd generation metal fab shop, and we have liability insurance specifically due to the nature of the aircraft/defense contract work we do. Although it would be highly unlikely the parts we make would cause a catastrophic issue, we have an umbrella to cover ourselves, should we get cited in any litigation. Volvo's lawyers surely wrote up their suggestions is a bit of a boiler plate -- but it cannot be truly expected that nobody will change using only the included cable. Perhaps better wording here would have been something to the effect of "Volvo's liability for charging lies only in the times you use our supplied hardware" -- and even then, wiring on the wall/home side could cause errors/issues that Volvo would certainly not anticipate liability.

Ahh the joys of a modern litigious society :p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts