Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! Got my P8 last weekend and love it! One problem I had the other day -- I parked my car at the airport EV space, which has a free standard electrical socket for slow charging while I'm out of town. The problem is, when I tried to put on the adapter for the standard plug, it wouldn't go in completely. The holes align, and the directions say you kind of push and turn the dial as you push, but no matter what we did, how hard we pushed/rotated/etc, it wouldn't go in all the way, therefore it would just come apart with any tension on the cable. I'm assuming I just got a faulty one? Has anyone else switched the 2 adapters on/off without a problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
We switched ours out from the 240 to the 110 adapter. No pressure was involved, the twisting was a simple locking mechanism on the plastic parts as I recall.

I am curious about your intended use. I would be concerned that my cable would simply wander off on its own while I was out of town. Does anyone else share my concern or do I just need to improve my opinion of my fellow man?

·
Registered
66 Posts
We switched ours out from the 240 to the 110 adapter. No pressure was involved, the twisting was a simple locking mechanism on the plastic parts as I recall.

I am curious about your intended use. I would be concerned that my cable would simply wander off on its own while I was out of town. Does anyone else share my concern or do I just need to improve my opinion of my fellow man?
You will rarely go wrong assuming the worst. In the newspaper business there's a saying: "If your mother says she loves you, check it out."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I assumed that the cable unlock button doesn't work without the FOB being present, such that nobody could steal it...? Seems like that would be a no-brainer security feature, but I haven't actually tested it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I assumed that the cable unlock button doesn't work without the FOB being present, such that nobody could steal it...? Seems like that would be a no-brainer security feature, but I haven't actually tested it.
You are correct. The cable is locked to the car and you either need the fob or the car needs to already be unlocked or it won’t let it go. The only thing I didn’t try to do was unplug the wall socket while the cable was in. Don’t know if the car would unlock at that point, but I would expect no.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are correct. The cable is locked to the car and you either need the fob or the car needs to already be unlocked or it won’t let it go. The only thing I didn’t try to do was unplug the wall socket while the cable was in. Don’t know if the car would unlock at that point, but I would expect no.
Whew! I actually left it in the airport EV parking spot with the cable plugged into my car and the unconnected 110 adapter plugged into the wall so it was obvious my car was an EV and wouldn't get towed, even though it obviously isn't charging. That would have sucked to get back and find my cable had been stolen, especially after seeing how expensive those things are!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I haven't heard of it happening, but I could see copper/metal thieves cutting the cord and leaving the plug head still in the car. They'd have to be daring considering they could get electrocuted. They do that to Prius catalytic converters all the time around here. I think that's a very remote chance and it wouldn't deter me from plugging in publicly, but it being an airport makes it a little riskier since they know you'll be gone for a long time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts