Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The charging cable that came with my XC40 Recharge can be used with a normal US 120v plug or I can swap out the plug for a NEMA 14-50 plug. I ordered a ChargePoint level 2 charger (backordered 4-5 weeks) and have an electrician lined up to install the NEMA plug for me.

My Recharge will be used for driving to/from work (32 miles round trip) and on weekends, but no long distance designation drives).

Here’s my question: Since I don’t see a need to carry the cable with me because my daily drives will be less than 100 miles, does it make sense to just use the included cable with NEMA plug for fast charging rather than spend the money on the ChargePoint (plus installation)? Will the time to recharge be that much faster with the ChargePoint over the included level 2 charger? In a pinch, I can unplug the Volvo charger and toss it in the trunk.

Thanks in advance - I’m sure most of you have looked into this already.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Most people choose to use an EVSE rather than simply the charging cable to take advantage of convenience features not currently available. The most prominent of these is scheduling charging. In high electricity cost states like California electricity can be much less expensive late at night motivating users to limit charging time. Other reasons include charging multiple vehicles, longer cables, receiving alerts and monitoring and collecting data.

For your described use case using the provided cable will meet your needs. The time to charge can be faster if you hardwire the EVSE. This also requires better wiring than the outlet so that will increase the cost. The only thing I would do is check with your power company to be sure you can't benefit from scheduled charging.

·
Registered
2021 Crystal White XC40 Recharge Pure Electric P8
12 Posts
The charging cable that came with my XC40 Recharge can be used with a normal US 120v plug or I can swap out the plug for a NEMA 14-50 plug. I ordered a ChargePoint level 2 charger (backordered 4-5 weeks) and have an electrician lined up to install the NEMA plug for me.

My Recharge will be used for driving to/from work (32 miles round trip) and on weekends, but no long distance designation drives).

Here’s my question: Since I don’t see a need to carry the cable with me because my daily drives will be less than 100 miles, does it make sense to just use the included cable with NEMA plug for fast charging rather than spend the money on the ChargePoint (plus installation)? Will the time to recharge be that much faster with the ChargePoint over the included level 2 charger? In a pinch, I can unplug the Volvo charger and toss it in the trunk.

Thanks in advance - I’m sure most of you have looked into this already.
I agree with Stephen. Personally I had the NEMA 14-50 plug installed and use the supplied cable from Volvo. I just plug it in after 9pm for the cheapest rates in my area of California. No frills doing it this way, like scheduled charging, etc.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I have never used the supplied cable as I have no access and rely on public chargers but I keep the supplied cable with me as part of the oh **** kit. If I running out of power and there are no chargers maybe I can pay someone or some business too let me plug in. Of course this might be stupid as it would take a long time to get a significant charge but … maybe a motel with an outside plug might let me (for a cost) in a pinch.

Am I being foolish and eating weight / space?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I used the supplied cable on 120V the first week until I got my 14-50 finished that first week. I then used the Volvo cable on 14-50 for a few days until my Wallbox showed up. I sold the free ChargePoint once received it 6 weeks later. I also keep the Volvo cable in the Frunk becasue it is the easiest place to store it and if for some reason I were somewhere and needed it (not sure how or why) I have it.

The advantage of the EVSE to me are several:

- convivences compared to managing the long bulky supplied cable. The EVSE hangs on the wall with a hanger for the cable and a socket for the charge plug. Far easier to connect and disconnect this way and have it neatly managed.

- ability to schedule a charge. Here in GA I get 400kWH each month from midnight to 6am, so not very convenient to plug the car in at midnight. Also even when I exceed my free power the rates from midnight to 6am are 40% cheaper than off peak and 65% less than peak.

- Also the EVSE app provides me data on how much power it delivered to the car, so it allows me to more closely track my costs. The first ~1000 miles cost me $8 in power so far. When I break everything down it is like $0.012 per mile based on the efficiencies I am seeing on the car.

Reactions: Ces

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm frustrated. When building my house, I had a 220v outlet installed in the garage for a future EV. On Friday, I leased an XC40 Recharge and was assured I would be able to use my 220V outlet. After watching plenty of YoutTube videos and posts on this forum and others, I expected the car to come equipped with a 14-50 cable, but was disappointed that it only came with a 110v 15A cable and a 220v NEMA 6-20P. I've asked the dealer to swap out the cable since the ChargePoint promotion seems to be backordered by at least 4-5 weeks and it has been like pulling teeth. At one point they said, "sorry, the deal is done" after having told me they would eat the cost of necessary.

My question to you all is: which cable attachments came with your XC40 Recharge?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm frustrated. When building my house, I had a 220v outlet installed in the garage for a future EV. On Friday, I leased an XC40 Recharge and was assured I would be able to use my 220V outlet. After watching plenty of YoutTube videos and posts on this forum and others, I expected the car to come equipped with a 14-50 cable, but was disappointed that it only came with a 110v 15A cable and a 220v NEMA 6-20P. I've asked the dealer to swap out the cable since the ChargePoint promotion seems to be backordered by at least 4-5 weeks and it has been like pulling teeth. At one point they said, "sorry, the deal is done" after having told me they would eat the cost of necessary.

My question to you all is: which cable attachments came with your XC40 Recharge?
My XC40 came with a 110v plug which can be swapped with a 220v plug that also came with the car. I only had
a 110v that was accessible and the charging was painfully slow. So I had a ChargePoint charger (hardwired) put in last week.
MUCH faster charging now!!!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My Volvo cable has 2 plug adapters that can be put on the end of it, a 14-50 and standard 120V. The first week I used the 120V plug then the 14-50 for a few days. On the 14-50 I believe I was getting around 36-38 AMPs. You can do what several of us did, order another EVSE (a few here went Wallbox) and sell the ChargePoint when it arrives. I Sold my CharegPoint for $700 shipped which cleared me the cost of my Wallbox. The Grizzl-E Smart is like $549 but does require a third party app for the smart features.

·
Registered
57 Posts

I received a 14-50 plug along with the 110 volt standard plug. My house was equipped with an older dryer outlet. I was able to find on Amazon a short converter cord that converted from the old dryer plug to the 14-40 plug until my ChargePoint arrived.. You should be able to find a similar cord for your configuration. I think I have seen at Walmart in the RV supplies section a similar cord with the ends you need. Worth a look.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine came with the 120V and the 240V 14-50 changeable leads. Sadly it did not come with the ChargePoint EVSE, as this is no longer offered. You (eventually....still waiting) get 250KW of free Electrify America fast charging which is worth $107.50 and a mysterious undefined discount on future purchases. The $700.00 ChargePoint would have been gratefully received.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine came with the 120V and the 240V 14-50 changeable leads. Sadly it did not come with the ChargePoint EVSE, as this is no longer offered. You (eventually....still waiting) get 250KW of free Electrify America fast charging which is worth $107.50 and a mysterious undefined discount on future purchases. The $700.00 ChargePoint would have been gratefully received.
Sorry you didn't receive the free Chargepoint EVSE. I got mine yesterday........looking to sell it locally as I got lucky and got one on Amazon before they were back ordered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts