Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Later this year, Tesla will begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable non-Tesla EV drivers in North America to use Tesla Superchargers."

·
Registered
424 Posts
Begin production of equipment... does that mean it will be an adapter, or does that mean they'll begin producing equipment that will have to be physically retrofitted on all of their charging towers.... the timing is woefully unclear.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Begin production of equipment... does that mean it will be an adapter, or does that mean they'll begin producing equipment that will have to be physically retrofitted on all of their charging towers.... the timing is woefully unclear.
I hope it’s an adapter as it would fairly quickly allow use at most if not all superchargers, whereas replacing units would take years to hit everywhere.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I hope it’s an adapter as it would fairly quickly allow use at most if not all superchargers, whereas replacing units would take years to hit everywhere.
Also an adapter = makes money for them. Changing stations = costs money.

Is an adapter just physical arrangement of pins + the pumps knowing how to talk to non volvos?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does Tesla in the US use a different adaptor?

TESLA have opened part of their network for all EV’s in the UK and they have CCS chargers here so it’s an easy option, just a lot more expensive than other brands (c.£0.70 per KWH vs £0.40 at others)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Does Tesla in the US use a different adaptor?

TESLA have opened part of their network for all EV’s in the UK and they have CCS chargers here so it’s an easy option, just a lot more expensive than other brands (c.£0.70 per KWH vs £0.40 at others)
Yes, they use a proprietary Tesla connector in the US. Very early models sold in Europe also used it before they switched to using CCS type 2 in Europe.

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
368 Posts
Elon has Tweeted that he wants to put adapters at existing Superchargers. If they get stolen or damaged non-Tesla owners will have to provide their own adapters. (Revenue source for Tesla.) Future Supercharger installations in the ROW will include CCS plugs. Non-Tesla owners will have to download the Tesla app; there won’t be pay-at-the-charger option.

It will interesting to see whether Tesla starts making EVs in the North American market with CCS charging connections. They are required to do so in Europe, so they have the know-how. Being the leader in the market allowed them to choose the charging connection configuration. Frankly, it’s an elegant design that works with both level 2 and DCFC. Too bad the rest of the market adopted the J1772/CCS connector Setup.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
... Being the leader in the market allowed [Tesla] to choose the charging connection configuration. Frankly, it’s an elegant design that works with both level 2 and DCFC. Too bad the rest of the market adopted the J1772/CCS connector Setup.
Tesla commercialized their connector design before there was a CCS standard. The CCS standard connector can handle up to 1000 volts and 500 amps for a maximum of 500kW charging speed. CCS stations are in use that can furnish 350kW. I believe that Tesla's connector can only handle about 500 volts maximum, and is currently capable of only 250kW. That's why the CCS connector is larger and heavier than Tesla's - it can carry nearly double the power.

·
Registered
XC40 recharge 2022
46 Posts
Elon has Tweeted that he wants to put adapters at existing Superchargers. If they get stolen or damaged non-Tesla owners will have to provide their own adapters. (Revenue source for Tesla.) Future Supercharger installations in the ROW will include CCS plugs. Non-Tesla owners will have to download the Tesla app; there won’t be pay-at-the-charger option.

It will interesting to see whether Tesla starts making EVs in the North American market with CCS charging connections. They are required to do so in Europe, so they have the know-how. Being the leader in the market allowed them to choose the charging connection configuration. Frankly, it’s an elegant design that works with both level 2 and DCFC. Too bad the rest of the market adopted the J1772/CCS connector Setup.
I bought a Tesla-CCS adapter to have access to chargers with their connector. Haven't used it yet -- should be OK for chargers at hotels, etc, that have a station of their own with a Tesla connector, but if I want/need to use a Tesla Supercharger station on their network, what's the app I need to have (for my iPhone) to pay for charging there? The Tesla app on the Apple app store seems to be pretty focused on controlling a car...

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,118 Posts
I bought a Tesla-CCS adapter to have access to chargers with their connector.
I didn't think there was such a thing yet. As far as I know, there's no way for non-Teslas to use their superchargers (level 3) - at least here in the US.

Or did you mean a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter (level 2 charging)?

·
Registered
XC40 recharge 2022
46 Posts
I didn't think there was such a thing yet. As far as I know, there's no way for non-Teslas to use their superchargers (level 3) - at least here in the US.

Or did you mean a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter (level 2 charging)?
Yes, that's right. Sorry I don't know the terminology for their charging stations: I'm just reading this thread about using Tesla stations, and I wanted to know what app I might need to pay there, assuming I can use them at all. My adapter is indeed Tesla-J1772.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
459 Posts
I bought a Tesla-CCS adapter to have access to chargers with their connector. Haven't used it yet -- should be OK for chargers at hotels, etc, that have a station of their own with a Tesla connector, but if I want/need to use a Tesla Supercharger station on their network, what's the app I need to have (for my iPhone) to pay for charging there? The Tesla app on the Apple app store seems to be pretty focused on controlling a car...
So far I've found that most if not all Tesla Destination chargers are free and these are found everywhere it seems and this is where you can use your Tesla adapter but you can not use superchargers.

"Destination Charging sites are conveniently situated for you to charge upon arrival at hotels, vineyards, restaurants and more. With over 35,000 Wall Connectors at Destination Charging locations, you can relax and recharge for a few hours or overnight."

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,118 Posts
I'm just reading this thread about using Tesla stations, and I wanted to know what app I might need to pay there, assuming I can use them at all. My adapter is indeed Tesla-J1772.
There's no payment app. Or payment, for that matter.

Tesla Destination Chargers (their level 2 stations installed at hotels, shops, etc) are free for customers of those businesses.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
575 Posts
"Later this year, Tesla will begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable non-Tesla EV drivers in North America to use Tesla Superchargers."

I like this 👇 👇:

Tesla is making investments at its Gigafactory in Buffalo, New York to support the deployment of new fast charging stations to add to its fast-charging network. More than 1,600 employees work at Giga New York producing the Tesla Solar Roof and Supercharger stations, which are capable of charging vehicles up to 250 kW. Tesla is expanding production capacity of power electronics components that convert alternating current to direct current, charging cabinets, posts and cables. Later this year, Tesla will begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable non-Tesla EV drivers in North America to use Tesla Superchargers.

Tritium, who previously announced a Tennessee EV charger manufacturing facility at a White House event with President Biden, is accelerating its production schedule to manufacture DC fast chargers in the third quarter of 2022. They also plan to build their first Buy America chargers in early 2023. This facility will create more than 500 local jobs and will be capable of producing up to 30,000 fast charger units per year

1 - 18 of 18 Posts