Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my recharge for about 3 weeks now and haven’t tried charging anywhere other then my home. I am considering taking it on our little family trip in a month. When i checked out the location, I saw there were Tesla super charging stations near by. Can I charge my XC40 P8 Recharge at those? Can’t find much online to tell me one way or the other.

Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have had my recharge for about 3 weeks now and haven’t tried charging anywhere other then my home. I am considering taking it on our little family trip in a month. When i checked out the location, I saw there were Tesla super charging stations near by. Can I charge my XC40 P8 Recharge at those? Can’t find much online to tell me one way or the other.

Thanks!
No, Tesla Super Charging stations use a proprietary connection that only works on a Tesla. And, the Super Charging station requires a digital footprint from the car that indicates it is a Tesla.

You can, however, use a home Tesla Charger with an adapter.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Can I charge my XC40 P8 Recharge at those? Can’t find much online to tell me one way or the other.
To expand on what @Homer wrote above— when it comes to DC Fast Charging (also known as Level 3), not all chargers are created equally. First off, only a Tesla can use a Tesla Supercharger. Non-Tesla vehicles would require an adapter physically, but even in that case, the DC Fast Supercharger stations will not accept your car, due to the handshake that Homer mentioned.

If you are at a place with an AC charger (Level 2) that happens to have a Tesla connector, then the adapter(s) that exist on the market -would- work for our Volvo, but with Level 2 chargers so readily available that don’t require the adapter, it is unlike you’d need to or want to spend that money. I have one, have for many years, and so rarely use it. And I’m in Ohio, which is not a super EV friendly area (at least, Cleveland; Columbus is far better).

With ALL of that said — when it comes to DC Fast charging a non-Tesla vehicle, beware. IF you use the car’s navigation it will include 50kW and 150kW chargers, and others. To get the most of your charging, you want to try to find 150kW DC Fast Chargers. At the moment, the ElectrifyAmerica network is the most robust and best for these speeds; but depending on where you live, EVgo and ChargePoint both fall right behind, with more chargers going up often.

There are a ton of web sites (PlugShare, A Better Route Planner, EV Trip Planner, and others) that you can use to pre plan a trip in your EV. I like PlugShare but most of my friends prefer ABRP for its versatility. I’d suggest checking that out. Also, if you are able, I tend to personally suggest the EA network because again you’re guaranteed max possible speed when charging, and they are usually spaced appropriately for trip travel in the domestic USA quite easily.

Other questions? Ask away!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Just received this Email from Volvo a minute ago --- Not the challenges with DC fast charging at Electrify America
This doesn't help given we're already limited with DC fast chargers! Glad I caught this note !

Important information about public charging
Your new all electric vehicle is compatible with over 80% of all public charging stations nationwide. To ensure a hassle-free charging experience, we have conducted extensive testing with many public charging providers including ChargePoint, Electrify America and EVGo.

It has been brought to our attention that there are some charging compatibility challenges between the XC40 Recharge and some DC fast chargers on the Electrify America network. We are actively working with Electrify America and our Volvo engineers to resolve these issues and improve your charging experience. If you anticipate using an Electrify America charger for road trip or regular charging, we encourage you to contact Electrify America’s customer support in advance at 1-833-632-2778. Their team can provide quick support to help identify your best charging options.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just received this Email from Volvo a minute ago --- Not the challenges with DC fast charging at Electrify America
This doesn't help given we're already limited with DC fast chargers! Glad I caught this note !
@MMK -- this has long since been resolved--- no longer an issue.

Check out this thread:

We recently took a family trip from NE Ohio down to the Smokey Mountains and visited a bunch of chargers (see post #86 in the above thread and you'll see my list of 9 EA chargers we hit). Of those, 8 of them are the SIGNET brand that were the trouble spot. It seems that EA/Volvo have long since figured it out, as we had ZERO charging issues along the way. I'd say you can likely disregard that email you saw.

·
Registered
609 Posts
@MMK -- this has long since been resolved--- no longer an issue.

Check out this thread:

We recently took a family trip from NE Ohio down to the Smokey Mountains and visited a bunch of chargers (see post #86 in the above thread and you'll see my list of 9 EA chargers we hit). Of those, 8 of them are the SIGNET brand that were the trouble spot. It seems that EA/Volvo have long since figured it out, as we had ZERO charging issues along the way. I'd say you can likely disregard that email you saw.
Oh wow - thanks for the update. I literally had just received that email this morning! That's strange....

Regards
MK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts