Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird thing last night and today while charging my car with a “home” Chargepoint Charger. The car stopped charging at 87% overnight. I disconnected charger from the car and reconnected. It charged for about 30 minutes and then stopped at 91%. (Yes…I know I only should charge to 80% but it is a lease.). This never has happened before. My wife has a BMW hybrid and currently charging with no issues, so I think the problem lies with my Recharge and not the Chargepoint Charger.

I’m wondering if this issue can be solved with simply rebooting the car or if there is possibly an issue with the battery. Appreciate any suggestions and/or insight. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Weird thing last night and today while charging my car with a “home” Chargepoint Charger. The car stopped charging at 87% overnight. I disconnected charger from the car and reconnected. It charged for about 30 minutes and then stopped at 91%. (Yes…I know I only should charge to 80% but it is a lease.). This never has happened before. My wife has a BMW hybrid and currently charging with no issues, so I think the problem lies with my Recharge and not the Chargepoint Charger.

I’m wondering if this issue can be solved with simply rebooting the car or if there is possibly an issue with the battery. Appreciate any suggestions and/or insight. Thanks!
I think the issue may be related the following:
1. The ChargePoint Home Flex is only a power supply to the car, it is not a charger. The actual battery charger is onboard the XC40 Recharge. Check and see if you get a display when charging is interrupted. An overheated (shorted) battery will interrupt the charging if over temperature is detected. My suggestion is to take it to the dealer and have it checked with diagnostic computer. Good luck.

·
Registered
492 Posts

I do a lot of road trips with my C40. At my destination, I charge back to 90% SOC overnight using the Volvo level 2 charger. With sizzling summer temperatures and excess demand on the power grid, my charging can be interrupted when I use the default Current Limit in Amps of 48. Knowing that, I reset the limit to 30amps and have not experienced any problems.

·
Registered
234 Posts

I wouldn't think twice about charging to 90% on a routine basis, believe that is Vovlo's recommendation, though I wasn't able to find it in the manual.

Update, found it, this is Volvo's charging recommendation:

"To make the most of the battery life in a pure electric car, we recommend AC charging the battery up to 90% capacity for typical daily driving and preferably not letting the charge fall below 20%."

·
Registered
492 Posts
I wouldn't think twice about charging to 90% on a routine basis, believe that is Vovlo's recommendation, though I wasn't able to find it in the manual.
I agree. My approach has been to charge to 90% as needed when using a level two Charger. Typically over night. I charge to 80% when using a DC Charger. On longer road trips I save time using a “hip hop” style going from one DC Charger to the next. For me it saves time and my charging is generally in the speedy portion of the charge band. I have experienced no problems with this approach and from my readings it does not negatively impact the battery.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I take that to mean don't charge above 90% unless you need to, not that you HAVE TO charge to 90%. 80%, 70% good, 100% bad (regularly). My other EVs have dictated no such rules on me and they were just fine, BTW!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts