Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey y'all,

So I recently had my GPS just stop working all together. Tried all the different types of resets and tricks to get it working again, but no dice. So I took it to dealer and they unplugged batteries and did a hard reset. They informed me that (sorry paraphrasing): "It may get a little squirrely over the next week and may go in and out. But they should be pushing an over OTA update in early December to address this and other issues." So not thrilled about that, but it is what is and every other feature worked. I had full 90% when I took it over on Friday and hadn't really gone anywhere to require charging. It was still at 70% last night.

So Saturday evening (11/27/21), I go to plug in the charger. Except when I open the door for the charger, no white light comes on (the courtesy light to help you find the charger). Doesn't really seem like a thing, so I plug in car. Car starts to initialize and then after about 10 seconds the Volvo supplied charging cable starts blinking red. I try a variety of things:
Reset breaker, unplug charger, disconnect charger from NEMA 14-50 plug, re-attach, unplug and attach standard 120V plug and plug into a regular outlet. Still blinking red light. Now I'm super annoyed because there is no way to charge my car at home. Panic buy a MUSTART 40A Level 2 charger to try. That showed up today. However on our way home from visiting family, we attempt to stop at an EA station. Go to plug it in and it won't connect to car. I then get a message that says: APP_VEHICLE_RESPONSE_TIMEOUT.

So now I can't charge it a public station, can't charge it at home. Did the dealer do something screwy when they unplugged/plugged back in battery system? I haven't even attempted to try to charge via the new charging cable/station. Any ideas/thoughts? I'm also terribly worried that now that the car has had 2 issues withing a week, (it also has less than 1900 miles on it) that I got a bad car or something. Is thing going to be in/out of the shop every 2 months?
I had a similar issue and the onboard charging system was replaced. However, after replacement, they found out it was the wire harness measuring 8 feet long and requiring taking the interior apart. I demanded a new car which they delivered during January. Notwithstanding, now the second car is dead and the dealer doesn’t know how to fix it. I got a gas powered loaner until they resolve the issue.
I am an engineer experienced with lithium batteries. I suspect we have a complex systematic failure which include both, battery and software. I don’t trust the car anymore and we must come together to demand our money back. Too much of a headache. Besides, this these reliability issue comes to light in the press, we will never be able to sell the car. Volvo is owned by a Chinese company; I worked in China for 3 years in medical devices.I don’t trust them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had a similar issue and the onboard charging system was replaced. However, after replacement, they found out it was the wire harness measuring 8 feet long and requiring taking the interior apart. I demanded a new car which they delivered during January. Notwithstanding, now the second car is dead and the dealer doesn’t know how to fix it. I got a gas powered loaner until they resolve the issue.
I am an engineer experienced with lithium batteries. I suspect we have a complex systematic failure which include both, battery and software. I don’t trust the car anymore and we must come together to demand our money back. Too much of a headache. Besides, this these reliability issue comes to light in the press, we will never be able to sell the car. Volvo is owned by a Chinese company; I worked in China for 3 years in medical devices.I don’t trust them.
Ha it’s the nefarious Chinese I guess. (Probably typed on a phone or computer made in China)

21 - 22 of 22 Posts