Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i picked up my car yesterday i was offered the choice of either a $500 ChargePoint credit or ChargePoint Home Charger.
Given that my electrician told me it would cost over $2k to extend a 220V line from our basement to the garage, as it would have to go through our finished basement, we opted for credit. Looking back I realized the home charger is valued at over $699!

What did everyone else choose?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Home charger (but I already had a 50 amp plug installed for my previous car, a BMW X5 hybrid). I installed the Chargepoint last week and I love it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Home charger (but I already had a 50 amp plug installed for my previous car, a BMW X5 hybrid). I installed the Chargepoint last week and I love it!
How long did it take for you to receive the ChargePoint charger?

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8
11 Posts
I went for the charger too, but haven’t even received the code from Volvo yet, let alone the charger. In the mean time I hired an electrician for install and bought a charger from them, as they had it in stock. Between an incentive from our electric company and federal (US) tax credits, the install will only cost me a few hundred $, despite a 40 foot run and drywall repair. Will sell the free charger once I finally get it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Suppose x is the kwh you are going to use to charge your car over the years, 10 cents per kwh at home and 40 cents per kwh at a charging station. To break even, you need to have
0.1x + 2000 = 0.4x (2000 is the cost of installing a 240v outlet and/or a charging device)

Solving this equation gives you: x = 6666 kwh.
This translates to 17777 miles (6666 / 78 * 208).

So if you are sure you will charge your car AT HOME for range at least of 17777 miles, then installing a 240v outlet would make sense financially.
Keep in mind you can only charge your car at home for normal things such as commuting, routine shopping, etc. (no road trip).

For me, I work from home 5 days a week, and a weekly shopping trip is usually 30 - 50 miles. Let's say weekly you will drive 100 miles, then annually 5200 miles (on your home charge).

17777 miles would be about 3.42 years. That's around year 2024-2025. There could be some new technology out then, so your current charging device might look like an antique.

Again in my case, even I intend to charge mostly at home, I do NOT need a 240v outlet because the car can be fully recharged in about 2-3 days using a 110v outlet. So it won't prevent me from doing my weekly shopping. Furthermore, keep in mind that you do NOT need a full battery to drive the car. 50% charge (1 - 2days charging at a 110v outlet) already can give you about 100 mile range. More than enough to do some ad hoc shopping trip, etc. And if I do need a long trip, I can take advantage of a nearby fast charging station in case my car is not yet fully charged.

So unless you actually commute daily and/or fast charging station is really far away, it would be making no sense to install a 240v outlet at home for $2000 in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Suppose x is the kwh you are going to use to charge your car over the years, 10 cents per kwh at home and 40 cents per kwh at a charging station. To break even, you need to have
0.1x + 2000 = 0.4x (2000 is the cost of installing a 240v outlet and/or a charging device)

Solving this equation gives you: x = 6666 kwh.
This translates to 17777 miles (6666 / 78 * 208).

So if you are sure you will charge your car AT HOME for range at least of 17777 miles, then installing a 240v outlet would make sense financially.
Keep in mind you can only charge your car at home for normal things such as commuting, routine shopping, etc. (no road trip).

For me, I work from home 5 days a week, and a weekly shopping trip is usually 30 - 50 miles. Let's say weekly you will drive 100 miles, then annually 5200 miles (on your home charge).

17777 miles would be about 3.42 years. That's around year 2024-2025. There could be some new technology out then, so your current charging device might look like an antique.

Again in my case, even I intend to charge mostly at home, I do NOT need a 240v outlet because the car can be fully recharged in about 2-3 days using a 110v outlet. So it won't prevent me from doing my weekly shopping. Furthermore, keep in mind that you do NOT need a full battery to drive the car. 50% charge (1 - 2days charging at a 110v outlet) already can give you about 100 mile range. More than enough to do some ad hoc shopping trip, etc. And if I do need a long trip, I can take advantage of a nearby fast charging station in case my car is not yet fully charged.

So unless you actually commute daily and/or fast charging station is really far away, it would be making no sense to install a 240v outlet at home for $2000 in my opinion.
that's how i feel..

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8
37 Posts
I opted for the charger as with my wife's new Volvo XC40 she uses it most local and as of now, no ChargePoint chargers convent AND I have a Tesla X in the garage. Currently we are using the same 14-50. 50 amp outlet that I installed for the Tesla but this will allow me to install the ChargePoint and use it for both cars. Easy install as the power panel is in the garage too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
How long did it take for you to receive the ChargePoint charger?
It took about 3-4 weeks because of being backordered. I'm extremely happy with it because the long cable (23 feet I think?) means I no longer have to back my car into the garage to charge it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I opted for the charger as with my wife's new Volvo XC40 she uses it most local and as of now, no ChargePoint chargers convent AND I have a Tesla X in the garage. Currently we are using the same 14-50. 50 amp outlet that I installed for the Tesla but this will allow me to install the ChargePoint and use it for both cars. Easy install as the power panel is in the garage too.
lucky you on the power panel.. mine is on opposite side of house..

·
Registered
73 Posts
I took the credit, because the home charger didn't give me anything I need, compared to using the 240V outlet by itself.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8
37 Posts
I took the credit, because the home charger didn't give me anything I need, compared to using the 240V outlet by itself.
I considered it since we now have 2 EV cars but it will be along time until we use up the $500 again because there are no local ChargePoints and no current long-distance trips planned. And I'm still using my 2nd 1000 miles of free electric on my Tesla at Tesla SuperChargers. And I have to use that before Nov when it expires. Tesla has a "referral plan." I have a code name/number supplied to all Tesla owners and when I share it with someone buying a new Tesla AND they use the referral number they receive 1000 miles of free electric and so do I. And the closest Tesla charger is also not convent to our normal routine. What we do is make an outing to a restaurant in the SuperCharger location. Set up the charge and go have a meal wile charging. And currently our local electric supplier does not offer Time/Day rates but it will be coming so setting it via the ChargePoint will be convent. (Yes both cars can be set by themselves to time/day schedules.).

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8
37 Posts
When did you receive the credit? Did it come per email or regular mail?
I made sure my dealer's General Manager took care of whatever he had to do. I got the car on 6/30 and the email arrived 7/9 directly from Volvo with a promo code and a link to REDEEM NOW.

·
Registered
73 Posts
When did you receive the credit? Did it come per email or regular mail?
It came by e-mail. You and the dealer fill out a form first and send it to Volvo. It took several weeks to come.

Whether one picks the charger or the credit depends on your personal situation, of course. I take a weekly trip to our weekend place just out of range, so the credit works for me. For BikerBill, above, the charger clearly makes more sense.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
238 Posts
Did you fine the install to be easy? I assume you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet.
Assuming you have an appropriately located/breakered outlet -- ~15" from the location you want the unit mounted -- it's really quite easy. Mark holes with a template, drill, bolt it up, push the cable wires into the bottom and snap the wire locks shut, snap a cable lock bracket in, snap on face plate, plug it into the socket and go. Maybe 10 minutes of work.

It even includes drill bits and a bolt driver for your drill.

Wifi setup is really quite easy too, 2-3 minutes and done.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
238 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm only moderately handy, so I figure it will take me 20 minutes. :)
The documentation refers to installation by an electrician, but.. really, the process is pretty simple. The only real judgement call is where to mount it. The 23' cable has terminals already installed and the terminals lock into place with snaps -- so there's no bare wire to clamp or worry about shorting terminals.

If you don't feel absolutely comfortable doing it, then by all means call an electrician. 220v @ 40 amps is... rather deadly.

Disclaimer -- I say this from my personal experience, I take no responsibility for others's results. :-/

1 - 20 of 64 Posts