Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The salesperson I’m working with didn’t have a clear answer to the ChargePoint options. I’m taking delivery of my XC40 recharge this week, and haven’t ordered a ChargePoint yet for the garage. Looks like they’re back ordered on the company’s website. One option is available at Amazon.

6-50 or 14-50?
Or is it better to go with a different charger altogether?

thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My local dealers website shows that a free chargepoint charger comes with the car. I don't know all the details. But you should take a look at your dealer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The salesperson I’m working with didn’t have a clear answer to the ChargePoint options. I’m taking delivery of my XC40 recharge this week, and haven’t ordered a ChargePoint yet for the garage. Looks like they’re back ordered on the company’s website. One option is available at Amazon.

6-50 or 14-50?

thanks!
I think 14-50 is the way to go. The car comes with a charger with a 14-50 plug on it. You could have the electrician install this plug in the wall (with a 40 or 50 amp breaker) and easily use the car provided charger until the ChargePoint charger arrives. This comment assumes the cord will reach the car from the socket. The car charger is about 14 feet long. I have seen videos of a review of the ChargePoint cord being frozen and still flexible. Also you can drive over it. The cord is 23 feet long on the ChargePoint Home Flex. With all this being said, I received my car Saturday and the dealer is ordering the ChargePoint charger today at no cost as part of the current Volvo deal. I am using the Volvo provided charger as I described until it arrives.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you’re going to have an outlet installed in your garage then the NEMA 14-50 is the most common. This is what Tesla started using and what all others have followed suit with too. Not to mention the cable that comes in the XC40 has a standard 120V outlet and a 240V NEMA 14-50. So the latter would be ready to go. For new users reading this, my suggestion is having a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in your garage (make sure its ~20 feet or less away from where the charge port is on the car). Expect to pay $200-300 for this install, but that can be much higher if the run is more difficult (ex: detached garage, or garage is very isolated from your main electrical panel, etc).

RE: The Charge Point Home Flex — its a great unit, for sure, but its a bit overpriced. For the $699 price tag, there are cheaper options. That said, if its free, it is a fine unit. And the reality is that if you get the NEMA outlet installed at home, then the cable that comes with the car is adequate, and what many/most people use in the EV. No need to spend $500+ on a permanent wall unit if you don’t want to; but having so does provide more robust longevity. Also worth noting that if you really wanted max charging, getting a 60A breaker and a 48A EVSE on the wall would provide even faster charging, as I believe 48A is the max the XC40 can allow. Ciao!

·
Registered
46 Posts
The chargepoint also allows you to program the charging times to get cheaper electric costs. I got a 50 amp, 14-50 nema installed. I paid $700 for it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Good point @Mac Man — depending on where you live, the ability of the CP HomeFlex to utilized time based savings on your electric could help (I’m in Ohio, where rates are decent 24hrs a day). Although, some EVs let you set your charging time/finish time inside the vehicle, rather than relying on the EVSE to do that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
FYI: I contacted Volvo USA customer relations via email.
I asked them for a ChargePoint incentive. They responded by saying that if I emailed a PDF file receipt of purchase, they would send me a check for $500.00

I sent the file and received email confirmation that a check would be sent to my home address in 4-5 weeks.

So, ChargePoint at a retail of $700.00 is only $200.00 with a proof of purchase sent to Volvo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I picked up my Recharge this weekend I was given the option of a $500 ChargePoint Credit or the home charger. I picked the home charger and they're supposed to reach out to me with information and setting up the installation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
FYI: I contacted Volvo USA customer relations via email.
I asked them for a ChargePoint incentive. They responded by saying that if I emailed a PDF file receipt of purchase, they would send me a check for $500.00

I sent the file and received email confirmation that a check would be sent to my home address in 4-5 weeks.

So, ChargePoint at a retail of $700.00 is only $200.00 with a proof of purchase sent to Volvo.
We've had our car since February 25th and in the middle of March, Volvo proactively called me on their own to offer a $500 check or CP credit. I took the $500 check - still waiting to see that in the mail 2 months later...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Homer - Where did you email the PDF file to get the credit?

Good Afternoon,

Thank you, you will receive your check in 4-8 weeks in the amount of $500 at the address below.

xxxxxxx

Please, let us know if you have any additional questions.

Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,

Paris
Volvo Consumer Relations Center
201-735-8312
Announcing 'Tow for Life' Learn More

[email protected]

·
Registered
46 Posts
I emailed Volvo on topic above and got this:
Hello XXXX,

I'm following up with you to let you know that we do not have any discounts or rebates for the purchase of the ChargePoint. Sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Med vänliga hälsningar!

Yours Sincerely,

XXX
Volvo Consumer Relations Center
800-458-1552
Announcing 'Tow for Life' Learn More

·
Registered
2021 volvo xc40 recharge
16 Posts

6-50 or 14-50?

thanks!
14-50 is what I put in. Its way faster than the 110 wall plug. Mine is a plug install not hard wired though. It will charge nicely all night. The benefit of having a wifi option charging (station) is that you can program it to turn on at the cheapest utility times. the plug install alone is ample enough, coupled with the charging cable they give you with the car will keep you going its a perk to have a hard wired/plug in charging station. You can plug 🔌 the charging station into your dryer socket which is 14-50. We pulled and split the dryer circuit and added an outside plug on the common wall so I can charge in my car port. Its either charge the car or dry the clothes though, but I am only there when I'm on call anyway so it wasn't a deal breaker for me to share. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
61 Posts
Safety tip: Make sure your outlet is of sufficient capacity. If you're pulling 40 amps thru ii, be sure it is rated for 50 amps and is of good quality (e.g., Hubbell, Bryant).

·
Registered
2021 P8
18 Posts
Safety tip: Make sure your outlet is of sufficient capacity. If you're pulling 40 amps thru ii, be sure it is rated for 50 amps and is of good quality (e.g., Hubbell, Bryant).
Good point. If you’re going with the CP, get a 60A breaker put in so you can maximize the car’s ability to take 48A. Some have suggested you have to hardwire at 60A… not sure if that’s true, but would be worth it for the boost.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
61 Posts
Good point. If you’re going with the CP, get a 60A breaker put in so you can maximize the car’s ability to take 48A. Some have suggested you have to hardwire at 60A… not sure if that’s true, but would be worth it for the boost.
Yes, if you want to flow 48A (and be safe), you definitely need a 60A breaker and you must chuck the outlet idea and go "hardwired" instead.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts