Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Font Technology Screenshot Electronic device Display device
Font Rectangle Screenshot Technology Electronic device
Are these two new? Found them in the App Store on the car?

Anyone installed them on their car?
How well do they work.

Cheers

· Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, volvo has an agreement with charge point. You can just pull up and click start charging on your screen and it pays for you.
Nifty will get it. Does it support using your chargepoint to pay for EVgo? At present I use the chargepoint card to get chargepoint to park for EVgo.

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge (P8 - USA)
65 Posts
I'll add one FYI/slight warning.
If you use the EVGO app to get into parking garage via the in-app QR code, and then use the chargepoint app to start/pay for charging, make sure to keep your receipt about the chargepoint charge and potentially pro-actively email it (I think I did email confirmation) to evgo.
There was a location near me that people were using the evgo app to get into parking garage to just park and not charge. They evgo suddenly, without warning, and without any notes on my account for reps to see quickly, closed my account because they thought I did this. I did not as I had paid for charging via chargepoint. But because evgo didn't have a data point between my evgo app getting into garage and then evgo-paid for parking, they thought I just used it for the free parking.

Probably rare-ish but apparently was happening enough that they did shut down accounts. Or maybe the Tesla folks (there's a tesla storefront in same building this garage is) were taking advantage of the "Free parking" from the app.

· Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll add one FYI/slight warning.
If you use the EVGO app to get into parking garage via the in-app QR code, and then use the chargepoint app to start/pay for charging, make sure to keep your receipt about the chargepoint charge and potentially pro-actively email it (I think I did email confirmation) to evgo.
There was a location near me that people were using the evgo app to get into parking garage to just park and not charge. They evgo suddenly, without warning, and without any notes on my account for reps to see quickly, closed my account because they thought I did this. I did not as I had paid for charging via chargepoint. But because evgo didn't have a data point between my evgo app getting into garage and then evgo-paid for parking, they thought I just used it for the free parking.

Probably rare-ish but apparently was happening enough that they did shut down accounts. Or maybe the Tesla folks (there's a tesla storefront in same building this garage is) were taking advantage of the "Free parking" from the app.
Good info! And not fun thing to have happened. I hate being called a non rule follower when I am following the rules!

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
48 Posts
I want to add that this is not necessarily free. I bought a MY 2021 XC40 Recharge at the beginning of October. The ChargePoint program had expired and I don't get free charging there. I did install the app in the car and it is now paired to my ChargePoint account so it looks like everything will work as described above, except I will be paying for the charge.

· Registered
45 Posts
All: One basic question on Charepoint install.. I'm going with hardwired to get the 48 Amps install (60 Amps Circuit breaker).. But I see few responses in forum to use only up to 40 Amps.. Does anyone use 48 Amps with hardwired (60 Amps circuit breaker)? Any comments?

· Registered
280 Posts
All: One basic question on Charepoint install.. I'm going with hardwired to get the 48 Amps install (60 Amps Circuit breaker).. But I see few responses in forum to use only up to 40 Amps.. Does anyone use 48 Amps with hardwired (60 Amps circuit breaker)? Any comments?
I'm hardwired with a 60A breaker, and I've charged with the Flex set at 40A, 50A and 60A. It all worked fine. I usually have it set to 40A, since it has all night to charge and I feel like I'm being nice to the battery by charging at a slower speed. That said, I'd switch to 60A in a heartbeat if I needed a faster charge.

FWIW, back when I installed the Flex I noted what the car reported at every level. This was with the pre-1.6 XC40 software, so YMMV:

Home: 225 V
60A charger - 45A, 27mph at car
50A charger - 38A, 22mph at car
40A charger - 30A, 18mph at car
30A charger - 23A, 13mph at car

· Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm hardwired with a 60A breaker, and I've charged with the Flex set at 40A, 50A and 60A. It all worked fine. I usually have it set to 40A, since it has all night to charge and I feel like I'm being nice to the battery by charging at a slower speed. That said, I'd switch to 60A in a heartbeat if I needed a faster charge.

FWIW, back when I installed the Flex I noted what the car reported at every level. This was with the pre-1.6 XC40 software, so YMMV:

Home: 225 V
60A charger - 45A, 27mph at car
50A charger - 38A, 22mph at car
40A charger - 30A, 18mph at car
30A charger - 23A, 13mph at car
What’s the most the generic free by cable can do?

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
48 Posts
The current limit is based the ability of the various parts of the circuit to dissipate heat. The circuit breaker heats up as current passes through it. Same for the wire and the outlets. All of the components of residential electrical systems are intended to be used at no more than 80% continuous current of the rating. So a 60 amp circuit breaker will hold 48 amps indefinitely but 60 amps for a short time. Same for the wire. It will carry 60 amps for a short time without damaging the insulation. It will carry 48 amps indefinitely.

How long is "a short time?" There is no way to answer that. It all depends on how much air flow there is around the components. What the ambient temperature is. The state of the components before you load them up with 60 amps of current. Etc.

If you pull 60 amps through a 60 amp circuit breaker for a long time, you will wear out the breaker and it will start to trip when you do not expect it to. (Fortunately, the failure mode for a breaker is for it to trip, not to fail-to-trip.) You will also degrade the insulation on the wire so that it becomes more likely that current could arc from one wire to another or from one wire to the surrounding metal conduit. How long until the breaker wears out? Who knows. Will the wire arc? Who knows. Personally, I wouldn't want to run that experiment in my own home.

· Registered
280 Posts
Keep in mind that the ChargePoint Flex requires you to tell it what size breaker is in use. Internally it applies the 80% rule, and (in the case of a 60A setting) limits the current being pulled to 48A. This behavior is seen in the data in post #12. In all cases, the P8 was configured for the max of 48A.

IIRC, it will allow you to specify a 70A breaker, but that is meaningless for the P8, since the P8 charger will only pull 48A max.

· Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
219 Posts
My ChargePoint is located between my Volvo XC40 P8 and my Tesla X. I wired with 60 amp circuit breaker and wire and charge the Tesla at 48 amps and the Volvo at 40.

· Registered
4,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nope I did not Install it. Everything in the car still works and I am loathe to mess with anything :)

I am in pristine desktop/os mode :)

· Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,190 Posts
@SC did you end up installing the car sounds app? What does it do?
Mostly it just plays the sounds of car engines (vroom, vroom, etc) when you tap a button. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get it.

I was hoping it was a way to customize the XC40 forward/backward external sounds, but nope.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.