Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Charge Rate question

6K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  He Keith 
#1 ·
Hi all. With a 60 A circuit, a 220v outlet, and the car set to accept the maximum amps (48), the car is still charging at best 21 mph, whether with a charge station or directly plugged into the wall. I'm just curious how that compares the XC40 community out there. What's the fastest charge rate you're achieving, both with charging station or just plugged in? Thanks!

#5 ·
Isn’t this only for a hardwired installation? I’m not an electrician, but I believe the electric code is that for constant draw a circuit should not exceed 80% of the rated capacity of the connection (at least for Canada, but I think US too). 48 amps x 240 volts is 11.5KWh, but following the 80% rule the max draw should be 9.6KWh (40 amps x 240 volts).

I thought a hardwired charging station would be the only way to achieve the max amps, since the 14-50 receptacle is the limiting factor for amp ratings (assuming wiring and breakers are all above 50 amp ratings).

#15 ·
To answer the OP's question, I was getting only a 23A draw (~13MPH in the display) with my Blink 240V home unit, but that's because the Blink first gen EVSE had overheating problems and was limited to 24 A intentionally. I have since plugged the Volvo's cable directly into the 50A circuit (with a 40A breaker) and charged at a 40A rate. I've only charged this way once since I haven't had it very long. If I get different rates on future charges, I'll let you know. I don't know how that translates to MPH, but I think 21 is about right. I'll check it next time I charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.