Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge, Ultimate Trim
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so I recently purchased the XC40 ReCharge. This is my first EV. Live in a city, but have a driveway. Apologies if these questions are already answered somewhere, but I was unsuccessful in finding the following question:

--Does installing the ChargePoint Level 2 Charger NEMA 6/50 Plug give me any benefit over using the cable that Volvo provided? I can have the electrician install the 240V 40A outlet then it seems I can mount the ChargePoint and install that.--

Thanks in advance for any help. Also, this forum has been super helpful in finding questions about the XC40. You folks are great. Thank you. Also, one pedal drive is amazing and the sound quality on SiriusXM is just doo doo.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 - Thunder Gray
46 Posts
Hello sexyredkid! Congratulations on your new XC40 Recharge. The ChargePoint is a smart charger, you program it to charge at a certain time to avail of the lower electric rate (from midnight to 6:00am here in Sacramento, Ca). You have the option of having it hardwired or 14-50 NEMA outlet with a 50 amp breaker. The max amp charging for ChargePoint Homeflex is 39 amps. Also, you will be able to see how much is the cost for that charge session. Enjoy your new EV! :) (y)

Attachments

·
Registered
XC40 Recharge P8
22 Posts
I had the same question 3 months ago. The charger station enables charging times and monitoring via their app. The XC40 will eventually provide the same features once Google enables it with an software update. Until then you have to plug your XC40 in during low cost time periods. I paid $350 for a 240V outlet and will wait for the update.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Does the charger not also come with a longer cable?

One day we will move from condo to a house and I will have a charger!!!!! Stupid house market.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
121 Posts
We took the ChargePoint Wall Adapter (its not a charger) worth $699 in lieu of the money credit on ChargePoint account since there are no ChargePoint locations anywhere near us in PA. Plus with the wall adapter I can also connect it to my Tesla and once we have time-of-day electric the ChargePoint will be handy for both cars. I chose to have my electrician hard wire the ChargePoint box with a 60amp circuit. BUT we did run the 4th wire in the wiring. Thus I can always remove the box and install a 14-50 50 amp outlet should there be a future need. Hardwiring with 60 amps allows the electric code 80% rule to up the charge rate to 48 amps vs 40 utilizing a 50 amp circuit. Does the 8 amps make any difference charging at home. Don't know. Don't care. And installing the ChargePoint also allows us to carry the car-cord with us when traveling and/or visiting someone who provides us with an outlet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

One day we will move from condo to a house and I will have a charger!!!!! Stupid house market.
The chargepoint does have a longer cable, but since I'm locating the outlet outside, I can back right up to it in my driveway. I supposed if I ever had to reach out to the street that could be more useful, but not really an issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We took the ChargePoint Wall Adapter (its not a charger) worth $699 in lieu of the money credit on ChargePoint account since there are no ChargePoint locations anywhere near us in PA. Plus with the wall adapter I can also connect it to my Tesla and once we have time-of-day electric the ChargePoint will be handy for both cars. I chose to have my electrician hard wire the ChargePoint box with a 60amp circuit. BUT we did run the 4th wire in the wiring. Thus I can always remove the box and install a 14-50 50 amp outlet should there be a future need. Hardwiring with 60 amps allows the electric code 80% rule to up the charge rate to 48 amps vs 40 utilizing a 50 amp circuit. Does the 8 amps make any difference charging at home. Don't know. Don't care. And installing the ChargePoint also allows us to carry the car-cord with us when traveling and/or visiting someone who provides us with an outlet.
Hey there fellow PA EV owner! Side question about inspection/emissions: EV's probably need inspection, but obvously emissions aren't. You just take it to a local garge for inspection?

These are good tips, thank you!

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
156 Posts
Hey there fellow PA EV owner! Side question about inspection/emissions: EV's probably need inspection, but obvously emissions aren't. You just take it to a local garge for inspection?

These are good tips, thank you!
I bought mine in NH but I’m in MA. Once I received the registration I brought the car to an inspection garage where the do the emissions and safety inspection and then give you the sticker. Because it is an EV they skip the emissions part.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The chargepoint does have a longer cable, but since I'm locating the outlet outside, I can back right up to it in my driveway. I supposed if I ever had to reach out to the street that could be more useful, but not really an issue.
Have you looked into the Grizzl-E? It built literally stand being in the North Pole. No issues leaving it outside other than the need to find a way to lock it so it doesn’t get stolen.
Then keep the Volvo one in the car in case of emergency.
First thing you should do is install a Nema 14-50 outlet.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Onyx, 01/21, v1.7
48 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don’t think the Volvo charger is weatherproof, while the ChargePoint definitely is.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I’m not an expert on the topic but I would think it is safe to charge on the rain or snow.
You would think that when charging stations are built, if a person could be in danger they would consider that in the setup. I might be wrong and it would be good to get confirmation from an expert or from Volvo.
Now, if there is lightning present I wouldn’t do it.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Onyx, 01/21, v1.7
48 Posts
In general it is safe to charge in rain, snow, even lightning. I just don’t think the Volvo charger itself is weatherproof. The ChargePoint is weatherproof and I have mine installed outdoors, charge in the rain all the time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Found this video, not sure how real it is, what is said as I don’t speak the language or how long it was left. Also not sure what happened to the components right after.
Still interesting.

Edit, found the follow up video.Would be cool to know what is explained.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Hello, so I recently purchased the XC40 ReCharge. This is my first EV. Live in a city, but have a driveway. Apologies if these questions are already answered somewhere, but I was unsuccessful in finding the following question:

--Does installing the ChargePoint Level 2 Charger NEMA 6/50 Plug give me any benefit over using the cable that Volvo provided? I can have the electrician install the 240V 40A outlet then it seems I can mount the ChargePoint and install that.--

Thanks in advance for any help. Also, this forum has been super helpful in finding questions about the XC40. You folks are great. Thank you. Also, one pedal drive is amazing and the sound quality on SiriusXM is just doo doo.

You will want a NEMA 14-50 outlet as it is more compatible with many ESVEs (chargers) and if you get a good smart charger you can schedule the charging to take advantage of your best electrical rates. Using the Volvo setup is cumbersome compared to a wall mount uit where you can cleanly wrap the cord to.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

So you have been charging at fast chargers? Care to post about your charging experiences and costs?

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
201 Posts

Housing market is brutal. Even than make sure you have over 100A service to the house, otherwise you are going to deal with power management like me - $$$. If you are doing it to the code.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I am lucky I have 150A service which gets me by for 40A charging. I wanted to upgrade to 200A, but it was too costly as the new codes would have mandated my panel be relocated.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts