Volvo XC40 Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
355 Posts
Bet the one responsible for updating the US website is still sleeping

There is an update to the Volvo APP for IPhones today
I've noticed that VC links its support webpages amongst the various regional sites, whether intentional or not. I've started out on the North America > United States webpage, clicked a link in Support and wound up on a support page for North America > Canada or Europe > Great Britain. Makes me wonder about the accuracy of the info, or the relevancy of maintaining discrete regional websites.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I've noticed that VC links its support webpages amongst the various regional sites, whether intentional or not. I've started out on the North America > United States webpage, clicked a link in Support and wound up on a support page for North America > Canada or Europe > Great Britain. Makes me wonder about the accuracy of the info, or the relevancy of maintaining discrete regional websites.
Likely for pricing _ others items are likely common.

·
Registered
195 Posts
😢 There's no mention of restoring the capability of accessing USB data for media playback without Apple CarPlay.
On the Polestar page re 2.2, it specifically mentions an update to the USB ports for external devices, including CarPlay - perhaps it’s the same with 2.2 on the XC40/C40, but just not explained well on the Volvo software page.

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,085 Posts
On the Polestar page re 2.2, it specifically mentions an update to the USB ports for external devices, including CarPlay - perhaps it’s the same with 2.2 on the XC40/C40, but just not explained well on the Volvo software page.
I'd think the USB-port data pins would have to be re-enabled in order for wired CarPlay to work. It's still USB - not something proprietary to CarPlay.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
470 Posts
I'd think the USB-port data pins would have to be re-enabled in order for wired CarPlay to work. It's still USB - not something proprietary to CarPlay.
It's more complicated than just a binary on/off. The underlying USB layer works fine now. The system knows when something is plugged in. Rather, the issue is at a higher level in the OS which is preventing it from being used for media / file access.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Ultimate, Sage Green
138 Posts
It's more complicated than just a binary on/off. The underlying USB layer works fine now. The system knows when something is plugged in. Rather, the issue is at a higher level in the OS which is preventing it from being used for media / file access.
Security issue perhaps. No one wants a back door into the OS - iOS or AA. Volvo won’t even open their diagnostics port to non VIDA applications or OBD hardware. Can you imagine the mess a home hacker could make trying to jailbreak their car, much less someone with a more sinister agenda? If only they would allow “A Better Route Planner” into their App Store, but so far, no dice.

·
Registered
2022 Late XC40 Twin, 2017 BRZ
899 Posts
Security issue perhaps. No one wants a back door into the OS - iOS or AA. Volvo won’t even open their diagnostics port to non VIDA applications or OBD hardware. Can you imagine the mess a home hacker could make trying to jailbreak their car, much less someone with a more sinister agenda? If only they would allow “A Better Route Planner” into their App Store, but so far, no dice.
As a "home hacker" who has modified the coding in previous vehicles, it's not as bad or scary as you think.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Ultimate, Sage Green
138 Posts
As a "home hacker" who has modified the coding in previous vehicles, it's not as bad or scary as you think.
In IT for many years in ‘government’. I subscribe to the ‘least privilege to get the job done’ model, and imagine that engineers would lose sleep over access to internals that also control critical safety components. Bring in the bad actor factor, and limiting vulnerable access points is part of making things harder to hack. The bad guys will sooner or later figure it out anyway, but I would just as soon not have my car rendered inoperable or dangerous by making the system too open. Volvo and Google are having a tough enough time stabilizing glitches as it is.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nice dealer you got there.
We have 3 Volvos from them, and have been customers a long time. They take care of us.

I did just receive an email from a high-level Customer Care rep (who has been very helpful) - she said the dealer should have it Tuesday and will let me know if that info needs to be updated after an afternoon meeting today.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
470 Posts
he just tried to access 2.2 for dealer install and it was not there yet.
If the past release trend doesn't change, dealers in the USA should get access as early as the 26th. However, since that is a Sunday, then figure Monday the 27th.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
470 Posts
And for those waiting for the OTA, it should happen 10 days afterwards which makes it July 6th / 7th. However, Chris Dauerer oddly specifically called out July 3rd for the OTA.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts