Volvo XC40 Forum banner

CarPlay (non-wireless) in XC40 Recharge

37K views 158 replies 48 participants last post by  Yale Linguist 
#1 ·
Hi,
I feel I should have been able to find this by searching, but I only located a lot of threads discussing the upcoming software update that will allow wireless CarPlay later this year.
But what I have been unable to understand so far, no matter how much I scroll around, is: Does the XC40 Recharge support regular, non-wireless, CarPlay today? Or is that also not released yet?
Thanks,
Jonathan

#108 ·
here’s my theory: any Volvo with usb-c at the front (currently the c40 my22/23 and xc40 my23) will get wireless CarPlay and possibly wireless android auto.

My current car has wired CarPlay and I can’t imagine shifting to a car without it. We were given a timeframe of 6-8 months from last week for the arrival of my23, so I’m sure Volvo would have enabled CarPlay by then

#112 ·
I'd take CarPlay with a cable over the current implementation in a hot minute. Hopefully all this delay isn't because they're waiting to get a wireless solution up and running. We keep our cars forever, but some people are going to be ready to turn their Recharges in for something else before Volvo gets this dang update out.

Reactions: cinnamontoast
#117 ·
Siri is the only thing i need. The google assistant is driving me flipping nuts.
I find this interesting from an academic point of view. I have zero issues with Google Assistant but my wife has troubles like you describe. Conversely, scientific comparisons have Google in first, Alexa second and Siri a distant third.

I suspect the reason that Google Assistant works for me so well is that I use it constantly. I think that now that my wife is using it in the car it's learning her voice and doing better.

What navigation system would you be using with CarPlay?

One downside would be that Siri probably won't be able to perform any in car functions. Currently that seems to be only reporting status and adjusting the climate controls. I don't include any entertainment functions since those would likely be handled via CarPlay.

One other disadvantage would be navigation. The in car Google Maps does adjust responses based on car state including offering to route you to a charger when advisable. Additionally Google Maps can precondition the battery for charging when the destination is a fast charger. Navigation via Siri would be at a disadvantage until Volvo opens, at a minimum, a read only API into battery state. Full parity would require access to climate and battery functions.

#121 ·
No, but she's, self admittedly, very loud, and when Google doesn't understand she gets louder.

I can whisper from another room. Google devices are pretty sensitive once activated. I sometimes wonder if she's overwhelming the microphones and getting clipped.

The other thing is that I'm sensitive to ambient noise and will pause before speaking. Google sometimes has an issue when you try to talk over a voice from a nearby audio source.

#122 · (Edited by Moderator)
Gotcha.

Do you know anyway to extend the allowed pause when talking to google? Sometimes I pause when reading directions for a second (while I do my anti dyslexic internal code to make sure I am not reversing numbers) and it bugs out.

Also spouse one is a teacher and speaks very clearly with very correct pauses. Which always ends up with navigation failing. They had to learn to rush the navigation in a very non natural and. On good communication way.

#123 ·
No, as far as I know that's not adjustable. I know an 8 second delay exists in conversation mode but I don't think that applies.

The real answer, as with most things Google, is to lean in and use Google more fully. Don't try to remember numbers, have Google look them up for you.

I think interrupted queries happen to everyone. If I freeze I tend to just say cancel before it times out and then start over.

#125 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah, I've been almost exclusively Google until recently. Google Assistant, when it works, is better than Siri. Problem is of course that Assistant just randomly, both on AAOs, my Pixel 6 Pro, my Google Home devices sometimes won't work right.

Most problematic is the car, because that is where I need it the most. Occasionally won't recognize contacts like my wife's name. And that is the name I use 90% of the time for texting and calling. And latest "feature" is that it recognizes the name, but claims that there is no phone number associated with that person. :rolleyes:

It is simply unacceptable, and it is the main reason I recently started switching to Apple products and really want Carplay.

#126 ·
I am definitely in the "can't wait for CarPlay" crew, but since we just bought and figured we'd get CarPlay soon we never really use any of the Google stuff. I just put my phone on a MagSafe mount and do everything from there - sometimes I'll do the maps on Google since I do like the second nav screen (I hope CarPlay figures out how to use that!) but otherwise if I'm making a call or playing media, Hey Siri covers me fine and I just connect to the car via Bluetooth.

#127 ·
Apologies in advance for the following rant! I bought the 2022 XC40 Recharge Ultimate partly based on the promise of a 4th QTR '21 CarPlay availability. I patiently waited through the first QTR of '22 (see the Volvo correspondence below) and even installed the 2.0 update - still no CarPlay. I just spoke with Volvo Customer Care, who now is saying that CarPlay is planned for the second half of '22. I asked what concessions Volvo was going to make for the increasingly impatient customer base and was politely told "nothing at this time". This is not what I expect for a near-$60K car! I now see why this car never makes any of the top 10 EV lists. .... thus concludes my rant. thank you.

View attachment 3312

#128 · (Edited by Moderator)
Apologies in advance for the following rant! I bought the 2022 XC40 Recharge Ultimate partly based on the promise of a 4th QTR '21 CarPlay availability. I patiently waited through the first QTR of '22 (see the Volvo correspondence below) and even installed the 2.0 update - still no CarPlay. I just spoke with Volvo Customer Care, who now is saying that CarPlay is planned for the second half of '22. I asked what concessions Volvo was going to make for the increasingly impatient customer base and was politely told "nothing at this time". This is not what I expect for a near-$60K car! I now see why this car never makes any of the top 10 EV lists. .... thus concludes my rant. thank you.

View attachment 3312
they got your money.

they’ll care about you again when it’s time for you to buy another vehicle, no sooner.

#130 ·
I think we have lost the ability to want and wait. I waited for 40 years for computer graphics to get where I wanted them ….

I believe we will get carplay though I have no clue as to when. Wish official people would stop calling out dates unless they can guarantee hitting them.

#132 ·
Wish official people would stop calling out dates unless they can guarantee hitting them.
I wouldn't want the communication to stop though. I think it's important to receive clues as to when they are targeting certain features. Unless I hear them say words like "definitely" or "will", I interpret it as just their intent with no guarantee. With software, I think everyone has experienced sliding release dates especially when 3rd parties are involved.

His post, rightly so, mentions that the Carplay update is "planned". In no way, should a reader hold him to it.
Carplay is planned for the subsequent updated (week 20) but it will be wired, not wireless.

#134 · (Edited by Moderator)
Maybe because they didn't know just how bad the built-in system would bug out and suck. And because they had a relationship of trust with Volvo and its dealers who gave messaging that turned out to not be accurate.

I drove our XC40 twice this past week and both times when we got it, the GPS was non-functional until the system got rebooted. The person who uses it as a daily driver said that's par for the course — not daily but probably half the days of the week.

#137 ·
I had some lte/gps problems during the first two weeks of use, I was parking in an underground garage and it would lose signal and not get it back, but since I started parking on the 2nd underground level instead of the 3rd I have had no problems at all to speak of. I rebooted the Ihu once because my screen went blank but it came right back. I wanted CarPlay but now I find AAOS a much better solution (for me). I’m thrilled to use the card maps-which is a very good system for route planning and charging etc. I will try CarPlay when available but I doubt I will revert to that system. My only gripe is I would like the audible app. Otherwise I listen to Spotify, xm radio, and npr all the time.

#155 ·
[CITA="snoopy369, publicación: 43700, miembro: 4860"]
Ciertamente no diré que suponga que es compatible hasta que esté aquí, pero hay un desarrollador de Volvo que publicó recientemente que está programado para la versión de junio (finales de junio). Lamentablemente, los concesionarios tienen menos conocimiento que la gente en los foros aquí, por lo que puedo decir: el mío no entiende las cosas básicas sobre el automóvil.
[/COTIZAR]

Carplay ya disponible en Colombia, en C40
Plant Gadget Output device Automotive design Motor vehicle

F
Mobile device Communication Device Portable communications device Telephony Gadget

#158 ·
I don’t use CarPlay a lot as I’m rather happy with what we’ve got in AAOS. So I don’t intend to purchase any expensive converter to make CarPlay wireless.
I found a very easy solution to make life a little easier: it is a small 3D printed ‘thing’ that fits into the ashtray. The Apple connector fits into the thing and sticks out on the top. You may need to adjust the length a bit to accommodate for the phone cover you may be using. I used a tie wrap around the cable end to bring it up a little. The cable is routed under the rubber cover to the USB-connector. All I need to do for Carplay-use is to open the ashtray and push the phone onto the connector. The phone is nicely supported by the lid of the ashtray. No CarPlay: just close the ashtray and you won’t see anything!

Here is the link to the file of the Volvo (X)C40 phone dock: Volvo XC40 phone dock by Holraven

The link contains instructions.

#159 ·
The Ottocast U2-X Pro sort of worked, although I had to wait for all the CarPlay stuff to load before putting the car in gear, or it would go catatonic. Since the arrival of OTA 2.5 von the doesn't work reliably, and CarPlay gets lost in various ways even more frequently. Wired CarPlay works fine, so I'm pretty sure it's not Volvo's fault, or my phone's ... I've also had a problem with updating the Ottocast. I go through the update steps, and download seems to hang at 94%. When I later refresh the page, it tells me I'm up to date. If that is not in fact true, that may be my problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.