Volvo XC40 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Anyone have a good reason to believe CarPlay support is ever coming?
Well, there is that document Volvo had me sign back in April when I picked up my P8 - agreeing that Apple CarPlay was missing at that time, and stating that Volvo would deliver it sometime in 2022 via software update.

I consider that a good reason.

Volvo also explicitly states on their website that CarPlay is planned for spring 2022:

More features will be added. For example, the orange Care Key will receive speed cap software that allows safer car sharing. Apple CarPlay is planned to be launched in spring 2022.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I have faith it is coming. They are working through the list of promises we signed. Will it work perfectly when it first appears. **** no. But it will get there :)

Font Parallel Number Document Rectangle

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not sure what the rave is about CarPlay. I’ve had cars with and without. I barely used it on the cars that had it, the main reason was the sound quality. Music always sounded muffled to say the least. Instead, I used my iPhone apps via Bluetooth with much better audio quality.
Yes I miss Waze but that’s it. All other apps I use them via Bluetooth.
My 2 cents.
I’ve had it in many cars. Music sounded great. Easier to navigate and more responsive than this barely-Beta AAOS. It’s laughable.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would actually prefer an Apple Music app on AAOS to carplay. My main use case is to listen to music on iPhone using the built in google nav. Right now, I’m doing this through Bluetooth to the phone. Either CarPlay or Apple Music app would make things just a little bit better.

But I’m not planning to use apple nav when (if) carplay comes out because the built in google map feels much more integrate.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
True, Apple leaves money on the table by being IOS exclusive. They did smarten up with AppleTV+ releasing Android app. Being a YouTube Premium customer I was hoping to leverage YouTube Music in the car, but the app is trash. I would up doing a 3 month Spotify free trial then bought a $99 annual gift card and have 15 months for $99. Next November I can decide if YTM is better or not and either renew Spotify again. Spotify has been flawless for the 3.5 months I have been using it. Sound quality is great and the app always remembers where I left off even when we switch drivers and the profile changes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My rep also confirmed CarPlay “is coming”, but couldn’t say more than “spring 2022”.

I do not like Google or the products they build. The AAOS is the biggest down check of the car for me. If it wasn’t substantially more fun to drive than an ID.4 or Q4 e-tron I would have gone that route.

Hopefully it’s wireless when it does arrive. For a $58k it certainly should be!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My rep also confirmed CarPlay “is coming”, but couldn’t say more than “spring 2022”.

I do not like Google or the products they build. The AAOS is the biggest down check of the car for me. If it wasn’t substantially more fun to drive than an ID.4 or Q4 e-tron I would have gone that route.

Hopefully it’s wireless when it does arrive. For a $58k it certainly should be!
My last car a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV had Apple car play
I have a 2021 xc40 recharge snd I find it does everything I want without the carplay
Don’t see what the big deal is, snd yes I have an iphone
The phone in the xc40 works much better in the volvo

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
As far as I know it will not be wireless, do they have that in any Volvo yet? We put a C2Play adapter in her T5 and it worked great for wireless CarPlay. I agree, the Volvo is probably the most fun and best drive I have tried in an EV. ID.4 and likely Q4 are a tad slow and not as tight as the Recharge. And those capacitive buttons are a huge turn off especially on the Audi.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My last car a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV had Apple car play
I have a 2021 xc40 recharge snd I find it does everything I want without the carplay
Don’t see what the big deal is, snd yes I have an iphone
The phone in the xc40 works much better in the volvo
The rub isn’t functionality, it’s that I avoid giving google my personal data. So where as I’m willing to say “hey siri take me to mom’s house”, i’m less willing to give google access to my personal data.

Again it’s not going to stop me from buying the car, but I will probably wince whenever I navigate somewhere via Google

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I get it, there are options to increase privacy on the car and I am not a fan of Google becasue of that as well. Apple is far more protective of my data.

·
Registered
46 Posts
True, Apple leaves money on the table by being IOS exclusive. They did smarten up with AppleTV+ releasing Android app. Being a YouTube Premium customer I was hoping to leverage YouTube Music in the car, but the app is trash. I would up doing a 3 month Spotify free trial then bought a $99 annual gift card and have 15 months for $99. Next November I can decide if YTM is better or not and either renew Spotify again. Spotify has been flawless for the 3.5 months I have been using it. Sound quality is great and the app always remembers where I left off even when we switch drivers and the profile changes.
I've never gotten the feeling that Apple is leaving much money on the table :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
As far as I know it will not be wireless, do they have that in any Volvo yet? We put a C2Play adapter in her T5 and it worked great for wireless CarPlay. I agree, the Volvo is probably the most fun and best drive I have tried in an EV. ID.4 and likely Q4 are a tad slow and not as tight as the Recharge. And those capacitive buttons are a huge turn off especially on the Audi.
It would be silly to have a wireless charging pad for the phone but require it to be plugged in to do CarPlay. But, hey, it's Volvo...

It's also going to be harder to hide the C2Play dongle because the USB port is kinda out in front, rather than buried in the center console compartment like on other Volvos.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think the strongest argument for CarPlay is that it takes most of the software development responsibility out of Volvo's hands. It's one thing they need to get working that then shifts the burden for the rest of the software to more competent parties like Apple and their developers.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would be surprised if Volvo's CarPlay implementation is wired only. Wireless CarPlay requires Wi-Fi hardware (not just Bluetooth) and the Recharge already has this.

EDIT: specifically, Wireless CarPlay requires the ability to be a WiFi “host”. Currently AAOS on the Recharge can only be a WiFi “client”, and I bet this is part of what is delaying their CarPlay implementation.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It would be silly to have a wireless charging pad for the phone but require it to be plugged in to do CarPlay. But, hey, it's Volvo...

It's also going to be harder to hide the C2Play dongle because the USB port is kinda out in front, rather than buried in the center console compartment like on other Volvos.
Velcro underneath to the right above the alcove for the wireless pad. It’s what I plan to do.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I mean Volvo’s market cap is 47B to Apples 2.6T so maybe we’ll get lucky and Apple will just buy out Volvo
not likely since Greeley is backing Volvo, but would had Been nice for them to buy Lucid or some other start up EV company.

Reactions: DeaneG
61 - 80 of 91 Posts