21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
228 Posts
Oh no... Bad news for Polestar and probably XC40 Recharge also:

Carplay not before spring 2022
Hello Richard

We regret to inform you that there are further delays to the availability of Apple CarPlay for your Polestar 2. Due to various factors, not all of which are in our control, we now expect this feature to be available in spring 2022. When it releases, Apple CarPlay will be available in the car via a cable connection.  

We understand this is frustrating. To thank you for your patience we’ll extend your car’s standard connectivity to 6 years, from the 3 years that is currently offered. The additional 3 years of connectivity will automatically kick in after the first 3 years.   

More information on the functionality, and how it works, will be communicated in our channels when it is released.

Regards,
Polestar

·
Registered
321 Posts
@JT Rock don't get too jealous -- the wireless CarPlay works so-so depending on the car/brand. In my VW/Audi/Porsche products the wireless Apple CarPlay left a lot to be desired. But in my BMW/Mini vehicles the wireless CarPlay has been flawless. Surely related to whose chip architecture they are using, but perhaps software based. IMO the wired CarPlay offers a more stable connection-- at least in the VW-family group. So be warned of "that" ---

I got the same email (as I am also on the P*2 email list) and suspect the XC40 delays for CarPlay will match. We seem to get software updates a few weeks/months behind the Polestar family, so I'm guessing we wont see Apple support till spring or later, either. Oh well....

·
Registered
193 Posts
It. Shouldn't. Be. This. Hard.

I'm baffled not only by this, but by things like the Sirius radio not functioning. Why didn't they give themselves time to get these things working? These aren't new technologies, they've been around for years and years.

There's either incompetence going on or they don't enough people on the team working the code. Or both.

Oh no... Bad news for Polestar and probably XC40 Recharge also:

Carplay not before spring 2022
We regret to inform you that there are further delays to the availability of Apple CarPlay for your Polestar 2. Due to various factors, not all of which are in our control, we now expect this feature to be available in spring 2022. When it releases, Apple CarPlay will be available in the car via a cable connection.  
Highlighted text is a major copout by Volvo. Makes it seem like Apple might be part of the problem here. Wouldn't believe that for a second. CarPlay is a mature software product that works great on a huge diverse list of different automakers' platforms, including Volvo's.

The only thing about this that is not in Volvo's control would be its shifty Google partner slow-walking this project. And guess what, that's on Volvo too, because Volvo inked that deal.

I see tons of Volvo ads when browsing and just recently I saw this one:
Automotive lighting Automotive design Font Gadget Gas

It's missing the *except if you buy the newest available model year disclaimer. What a crock, and how misleading. Volvo has really burnt some customer goodwill capital here.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Or licensing problems. That's my guess.
I just don't buy it. There are too many holes in the Android OS that just smack of an unfinished product.

Why doesn't my car have an audio equalizer? Has the part-time college intern who has that on his Gantt chart taken a really heavy course load this semester or something?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Projects run long.
and the. There is Covid …
I mean I guess so.... but again, this isn't cutting edge technology we're talking about here.
If the car had shipped without an AC button in the interface (but the hardware is in place and OTA updates are coming!!!) would we accept that as reasonable? No, it would obviously be ridiculous.
This isn't quite like that... but to me, it's not quite not like that either.

Reactions: mike1234

·
Registered
321 Posts
MFi certification is a process, and one that was never fast to begin with. Considering a recent visit to a local Starbucks and it was closed b/c the sign in the window said "we can't find anyone to work" -- perhaps that plays a role. As others noted above, COVID isn't helping. Apple is in SF Bay, one of the first places to do a big/mass shut down (WFH only) situation. I wonder how much this has hurt the flow of things. Apple did delay a lot of unveils lately -- they pushed back a lot of things. (Best article today was the "leaded memo" complaining about people "leaking stuff" hahaha)

But I digress.... as noted, CarPlay is not new. Other Volvo products have (and SXM SAT radio). So it seems "odd" its delayed -- but again, the roll-out of CarPlay is based on Apple's completion/approval/etc -- and perhaps they are also dragging their feet b/c they can -- just to "spite" Volvo for choosing the Google OS. Let's not leave politics out of it because that really COULD be the reason. At this moment are there ANY Google Android Automotive OS vehicles out there besides the XC40/P*2? And if so, are any of them running CarPlay? I'm 98% sure the answer to both queries is no.

So perhaps this is just Apple's power play, anti-Google.

·
Registered
193 Posts
MFi certification is a process, and one that was never fast to begin with. Considering a recent visit to a local Starbucks and it was closed b/c the sign in the window said "we can't find anyone to work" -- perhaps that plays a role. As others noted above, COVID isn't helping. Apple is in SF Bay, one of the first places to do a big/mass shut down (WFH only) situation. I wonder how much this has hurt the flow of things. Apple did delay a lot of unveils lately -- they pushed back a lot of things. (Best article today was the "leaded memo" complaining about people "leaking stuff" hahaha)

But I digress.... as noted, CarPlay is not new. Other Volvo products have (and SXM SAT radio). So it seems "odd" its delayed -- but again, the roll-out of CarPlay is based on Apple's completion/approval/etc -- and perhaps they are also dragging their feet b/c they can -- just to "spite" Volvo for choosing the Google OS. Let's not leave politics out of it because that really COULD be the reason. At this moment are there ANY Google Android Automotive OS vehicles out there besides the XC40/P*2? And if so, are any of them running CarPlay? I'm 98% sure the answer to both queries is no.

So perhaps this is just Apple's power play, anti-Google.
I guess anything is possible..... but if you read the forums, people are getting annoyed with the wait and talking about switching from Apple Music to other platforms like Spotify or whatever else is available at this point on the Android system.

So I would seriously doubt Apple is the sticking point in any of this. They want their solution on those screens. I assume Volvo, by extension, always wants to appease its many customers who want CarPlay on that screen. That leaves one partner in all this who I think has all the compelling motivation to run out the clock on this.

Reactions: columbrian

·
Registered
321 Posts
oohhh... @1moreRobot you've flipped the script on me, and I had honestly not even thought about that. You're 100% right it could be Google dragging feet, not wanting to let Apple into their ecosystem. Dang -- and that makes perhaps more sense, as you said. It would be more logical that Google wants to keep Apple out, more than Apple not wanting to be in and capture their audience.

FWIW, we are hardcore Apple at our house, but I surely still use Google Maps, etc. And we've been really happy with the infotainment system of the XC40 works for us. But my wife doesn't like either of the Podcast app options (Spotify/Pocketcasts) and how they behave with other devices outside the car. So CarPlay cannot come soon enough --

Thx for your input. It will s surely be interesting to see how this unfolds.

·
Registered
193 Posts
FWIW, we are hardcore Apple at our house, but I surely still use Google Maps, etc. And we've been really happy with the infotainment system of the XC40 works for us. But my wife doesn't like either of the Podcast app options (Spotify/Pocketcasts) and how they behave with other devices outside the car. So CarPlay cannot come soon enough --
I'm the Apple tech guy of the household and my husband just kind of comes along for the ride, but he got spoiled driving my V60 and now he. asks me every week or so for any updates on when CarPlay is going to be in his Recharge.

Your post made me think a bit about what it is we miss.

First of all, the bluetooth implementation in the Recharge just doesn't cut it for us. Even in my Sensus car, the Bluetooth seems better implemented (even though I don't really use it, since CarPlay). Apple Music through CarPlay is an outstanding interface.

We also dearly miss some of the apps that we can access in iOS that don't exist in the Android system. For instance, I have all our audiobooks loaded into dropbox and access them through this app Bound. My husband listens to podcasts through Apple's Podcast app on his computer/TV/phone, and switching to some other program that hasn't saved the listen history just for car rides is a bummer.

And I've come to realize that we don't really like the Google Maps. It's hard for us to visually take it in at a glance — something about the color palette and line thicknesses and so on. Apple Maps is the easiest for me to absorb in a quick look. And I also like having Waze concurrently going in the background and set to only give alert notifications, because it generally has a ton more information about road hazards, speed checks, etc.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's not just carplay though. Android auto is missing still as well. Android phones can't be mirrored to the display either. Ive had that functionality in my previous cars for years.
I've never seen any definite commitment from Volvo to ever provide Android Auto for this car. We've just sort of assumed "once they can do CarPlay, they can do Android Auto".

Perhaps the idea is with our Android Automotive OS, there is no need for Android Auto - that eventually all of the same "AA-approved" phone apps should be made available to run directly on the car's OS.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
People gave Tesla grief for over promising and under delivering, but Volvo is clearly in the same spot. I have zero confidence the AAOS Volvo implementation will be baked for a few years. Sensu is so much more complete and mature and AAOS is a premature incomplete system, both from Google and Volvo. They are dealing with all the bugs when they should be moving the platform forward. It seems like no one learned from Tesla about what they were undertaking.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Speaking of false advertising, I have seen conflicting reports of how much complimentary maintenance comes with the recharge. Volvo's website says four years on one page and "for the life of your recharge" on the order page. My dealership website says three years. Considering volvos website says you get complimentary factory scheduled maintenance for the life of the vehicle this would be some very serious false advertising if untrue. Anyone else notice this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Yeah it is confusing. There was even confusion over the 8’year battery warrantee. Asking the dealer has absolutely no value as they are basically a magic 8 ball and either amazingly willing to lie or dumb (this is based on my personal experience with my dealership) only reason I brought it from there is the service department which rocks. The sales department are a …. Nope Not going there … working on letting it go….

21 - 40 of 91 Posts