Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I feel I should have been able to find this by searching, but I only located a lot of threads discussing the upcoming software update that will allow wireless CarPlay later this year.
But what I have been unable to understand so far, no matter how much I scroll around, is: Does the XC40 Recharge support regular, non-wireless, CarPlay today? Or is that also not released yet?
Thanks,
Jonathan

·
Registered
175 Posts
It is my understanding that another update, coming 2nd half of 2021 (around June/July) will address and unlock the CarPlay features, but not yet at this time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My dealer told me during delivery of my vehicle that iPhone connected via the USB-C port would allow for using Apple CarPlay ... but I don't have a Lightning/USB-C adapter to be able to test it ... and I'm skeptical it would work. Anyone else try it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dealer told me during delivery of my vehicle that iPhone connected via the USB-C port would allow for using Apple CarPlay ... but I don't have a Lightning/USB-C adapter to be able to test it ... and I'm skeptical it would work. Anyone else try it?
Man I am so curious about this too! Hope somebody can shed light :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
We had a loaner car (that the dealer has had for a few months) and neither USB-C port worked with CarPlay. I had found a page the other day on Volvo’s site saying CarPlay would work in a future update (not this most recent) but cannot find it again. We’re taking delivery Friday, so I’ll share more details then. You can also visit the Polestar forums as that is essentially the same car. They have “phone as key” functionality (which we don’t Have yet IIRC) — but even they have not yet received a CarPlay unlock OTA update.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It does not currently work. Wired and wireless both need to wait for a software update. I tried it with a cable already.

Right now all the usb-c ports are providing power. One is clearly marked to be the wired carplay port in the future, but until it is provided in the update it will continue to be just another power port.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Android Auto / Carplay works only on the USB ports installed below the main screen, and must be connected exclusively to the one with a white frame around it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all is the wired or wireless carplay working on the xc40 recharge, cannot get it to work at all.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi all is the wired or wireless carplay working on the xc40 recharge, cannot get it to work at all.
My dealer had me sign a document agreeing that CarPlay (among several other features) were not available until some future update. Your dealer should have done the same.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i will read the fine print again, do not recall seeing this.
My dealer made me sign the same but I have heard some dealers did not …

What functionality do you want from the car play?

·
Registered
12 Posts
From what I understand the USBC input is currently deactivated and the only way to connect phone is via bluetooth… Apple Car Play to be updated in 2nd half of 2021… along with SirisXM ( which is supposed to come with 3 mo. Trial).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What functionality do you want from the car play?
CarPlay is more than meets the eye I think for those who haven't used it.
Couple of things:
  • Always ridiculously responsive and fast since it's all based on the phone rather than the car computer which is guaranteed to be slower
  • Apple Music native integration
  • Apple Maps native integrations, I prefer over Google Maps for many reasons
  • Share ETA with two taps, machine learning on device means it almost always gets the first suggested contact right, if not its two quick scrolls down
  • 3rd party apps, like Overcast which I use for podcast, work perfectly and brilliantly over CarPlay
  • Apps are updated often and regularly as they are developing for the whole ecosystem of 1.5 billion iOS devices rather than
  • CarPlay itself gets regularly updated with new features, overview of what's coming later this year with iOS 15: Hands on with the new iOS 15 CarPlay features | AppleInsider
  • Siri native integration, and you may dislike Siri but it works very well when you have it set up right, and since I'm in the ecosystem its so much better to have Siri read me new iMessages, dictate responses, etc
  • I don't have to wait for apps to get released for the Android Automative platform, I already have everything like: ChargePoint, Audible, SiriusXM, PlugShare, ABRP, etc etc. - since they all run within the CarPlay platform itself via iOS
  • List goes on, but to understand why it's so great I think you either almost have to experience it or at least watch a real life video of it in use

Good overview of features: iOS - CarPlay

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
240 Posts
… along with SirisXM ( which is supposed to come with 3 mo. Trial).
Trial for SiriusXM was extended to 12 months because software isn’t enabled. Owners received an emailed with the extension.

·
Registered
21 Posts
CarPlay is more than meets the eye I think for those who haven't used it.
Couple of things:
  • Always ridiculously responsive and fast since it's all based on the phone rather than the car computer which is guaranteed to be slower
  • Apple Music native integration
  • Apple Maps native integrations, I prefer over Google Maps for many reasons
  • Share ETA with two taps, machine learning on device means it almost always gets the first suggested contact right, if not its two quick scrolls down
  • 3rd party apps, like Overcast which I use for podcast, work perfectly and brilliantly over CarPlay
  • Apps are updated often and regularly as they are developing for the whole ecosystem of 1.5 billion iOS devices rather than
  • CarPlay itself gets regularly updated with new features, overview of what's coming later this year with iOS 15: Hands on with the new iOS 15 CarPlay features | AppleInsider
  • Siri native integration, and you may dislike Siri but it works very well when you have it set up right, and since I'm in the ecosystem its so much better to have Siri read me new iMessages, dictate responses, etc
  • I don't have to wait for apps to get released for the Android Automative platform, I already have everything like: ChargePoint, Audible, SiriusXM, PlugShare, ABRP, etc etc. - since they all run within the CarPlay platform itself via iOS
  • List goes on, but to understand why it's so great I think you either almost have to experience it or at least watch a real life video of it in use

Good overview of features: iOS - CarPlay
I really want carplay to work it is 1000 times better than google play and or the interface provided by Volvo at the moment, wish we had a firm date, one reason why i did not buy a tesla is they dont support carplay, i missed this on the xc40 as i also looked at the xc90 hybrid and this has carplay....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really want carplay to work it is 1000 times better than google play and or the interface provided by Volvo at the moment, wish we had a firm date, one reason why i did not buy a tesla is they dont support carplay, i missed this on the xc40 as i also looked at the xc90 hybrid and this has carplay....
Couldn’t agree more. Also why I ignore Teslas (plus Elons anti lockdown anti vaccine stuff).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Couldn’t agree more. Also why I ignore Teslas (plus Elons anti lockdown anti vaccine stuff).
I realized what a crackpot he is when he called that rescue diver in Thailand “pedo guy” because the diver commented on how useless the submarine robot was that Musk sent.
Tesla just doesn’t seem like a mature operation, and they’re helmed by someone who seems unhinged. I won’t buy a product from a company like that.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts