Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue - 01/21
38 Posts
This has happened to me many times. I would wager that in your dash display at the same time it will say "Charging to 100%" despite what is showing on the centre screen. It also ignores the max charging amps that you have set, which is really not good. I always check both displays when I plug in my P8. This is a very annoying bug.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Funny I charged mine at a fast charger yesterday, had it set for 90% and it said it was done at 80%. Would not take any more even though I unplugged and plugged a few times.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This has happened to me many times. I would wager that in your dash display at the same time it will say "Charging to 100%" despite what is showing on the centre screen. It also ignores the max charging amps that you have set, which is really not good. I always check both displays when I plug in my P8. This is a very annoying bug.
This happened overnight. The problem you mentioned happened to me too, but it had charged to 100%. This 93% is a first.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue - 01/21
38 Posts
If it stopped at 93%, that is weird. Maybe this a a 1.7 “feature “.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
108 Posts
Edit: We do not have V1.7 software update...

Interestingly ours had been working fine (we had been charging to 80%). Last night I plugged in...this afternoon I went to check and yep, it was up to 88% and said it would be done in about 30 mins or an hour...charging at 2.2 kW...and the limit was set at 80%. I took a pic of the dash cluster too but damnit my phone must have delayed so I just got a pic of the bottom of the steering wheel LOL! Anyway, I’m pretty sure the dash cluster said 80% charge limit too...We had set the charge limit to 90% a couple days ago, but I’m sure I checked it after I plugged in last night and it said 80% and the SOC was down in the 40s or 50s at the time.

Does anyone know if the charge limit goes with the profiles (one driver profile can have 50% charge limit, another can have 80% for example) or is it one of the global settings?
Communication Device Font Gadget Screenshot Electric blue

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
108 Posts
Just thinking, I wonder if it uses the charge limit that is set at the time the car starts charging, or let’s say if you plug in and start charging, then set the charge limit, will it abide by that new limit that you set after starting charging? Hmm...we’ll have to experiment!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Just thinking, I wonder if it uses the charge limit that is set at the time the car starts charging, or let’s say if you plug in and start charging, then set the charge limit, will it abide by that new limit that you set after starting charging? Hmm...we’ll have to experiment!
You can change it during charging. I have done this experiment a few times :) however I have not done it with 1.7 so citizen scientist experiment on :)

As so many of us are into testing stuff it is a crying shame Volvo does not have an interface for us to present our experiments and results. I used to work on Software that had special users who got betas abs were expected to send in detailed reports.

Some betas we expected bare minimum. Others we expected a lot and they got to feed back and get the software to have features they wanted.

Though we brandish the beta tester label around we really are not as we have no clear path to feed back our problems.

Come on Volvo let us do honest beta testing for you. We will not only do it for free but we will pay to do it :) (have paid already)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
27 Posts
I have v1.7 software. The dealer installed it on Thursday. I now have the opposite problem. I had a long trip planned for Saturday so I set the charge to 100% max. Plugged the car into my L2 charger at home. The car only charged to 90% and stopped. I checked the car before unplugging the cable and, indeed, the limit was set to 100%. Very annoying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this happen to me, I had lowered the amperage limit and set the percentage to 80%. When I connected the charger the car began charging over the amperage and indicated charging to 100%. The variable seemed to be that I set these amounts before charging, exited the car, locked it and later connected the charge cable while the car was still locked. My only assumption is that with the car off and locked, the charging presets were ignored. So anytime I need to charge at a lower amperage, I make sure I sit in the car and adjust the limits just before I connect the charge cable.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've noticed this in both our XC40 and our Model 3. Both slightly above and below the intended stopping point. I think that State of Charge must be difficult to estimate exactly during charging.

·
Registered
31 Posts
State of charge the differences look very big, in these big battery cars, but in my experience of older EVs, people would charge the car overnight, simply to 100%. Maybe it would finish at 03.00. They into the car at 08.00 and it's at 98 or 99% - why? It's a cold night, the car has charged (the battery is warm) and then cools down. This affects the reported state of charge.
What you guys are reporting would be a battery that had heated up, though.
People wondering about degredation of batteries would check the SOH (State of HEALTH) of a battery, and find that they could be at 95% in winter an 97% in summer. Has their battery magically recovered? No, SOH, and SOC are difficult to report, and not static, with temperature being just one factor than can knock it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts