Volvo XC40 Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just an update to those who want to get rid of their XC40. I just submitted the required documents (Driver's license/ID, proof of ownership, odometer reading, and buyout form) to Carvana. It'll take them 1 - 2 days to review the documents. I'll post an update once it's reviewed.

On a different note, when I got my CbV, I had a minor parking lot accident (my fault) so the insurance was high. But in retrospect, I should've just gotten a regular lease regardless, but there's no T5 R-Design for lease at the time. The XC40 was just too new. I would've also probably saved at least $200/mo if I looked for a better insurance. My current insurance, Safeco, gave me an overpriced quote and State Farm was soo much cheaper. Oh well. I love my XC40 though. Shame I have to let it go.

·
155 Posts
I agree, the CBV subscription was not anything more than a high mileage lease with an early termination option. You pay a hefty premium for both of those aspects. I just finished my two years and saw absolutely zero advantage to the program. Instead of being easy, the insurance signup was time consuming. My own insurance would have taken 3 minutes and was cheap enough that I also could have saved money buying it on my own. And over the span of 2 years, I got absolutely no benefit from the subscription. All the maintenance is already covered so it’s a farce to advertise it as offering some additional benefit. Like you, the only reason I did it was that I needed a new car immediately and XC40 was the one I wanted. Financially it was not a wise move. The only real benefit to the subscription is for someone who wants a new car every year and is willing to pay for that option.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree, the CBV subscription was not anything more than a high mileage lease with an early termination option. You pay a hefty premium for both of those aspects. I just finished my two years and saw absolutely zero advantage to the program. Instead of being easy, the insurance signup was time consuming. My own insurance would have taken 3 minutes and was cheap enough that I also could have saved money buying it on my own. And over the span of 2 years, I got absolutely no benefit from the subscription. All the maintenance is already covered so it’s a farce to advertise it as offering some additional benefit. Like you, the only reason I did it was that I needed a new car immediately and XC40 was the one I wanted. Financially it was not a wise move. The only real benefit to the subscription is for someone who wants a new car every year and is willing to pay for that option.
For me, the reasons I went with CbV is that at the time, I thought it would be cheaper because I had a minor accident. If I did my research and spent more time finding the best deal, I probably could've gotten better insurance rates. Apparently, my former insurance at the time was just not the best price at all. My new insurance also would've taken minutes, and no back and forth emails/calls.. Another "feature" I wanted to take advantage at the time was the upgrade every 12 months.. Of course the catch is, we have to sign a new 24 month CbV with them...

If Volvo kept their original starting price of $600 - 650, I think it could be a hit. All in all, I don't regret going with CbV. I enjoyed driving the car this past 14 months, and I wish I can keep it. It just doesn't make sense financially to keep a car I barely drive.

As for selling it, their customer reps are hit or miss, and Carvana has been really helpful. The process is pretty easy, but getting that "Dealer Lease Payoff" from Volvo is such a pain..... I'll probably write up a "How to Sell Your Leased XC40 with Carvana" once I'm done with this lol.

·
155 Posts
Appreciate your reply and glad it was overall a good experience for you. Tax is what soured the experience for me. My jurisdiction treats a subscription as a lease which is taxed astronomically high here. My advertised $700 monthly payment turned into $857. Ouch! I'm really glad Carvana worked out for you. I agree that Volvo customer service is highly dependent on the individual you get on the line. Overall it's been advertised perk of the CbV program which ultimately proved to be more marketing than the actual experience. For example, I paid the buyout last week and have heard nothing from Volvo about what will happen with the insurance, and my online Volvo Finance account simply disappeared. Anyway, I agree the car itself has made it all worth it. Happy car shopping when you someday need one again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah same, when I signed up, my configuration was advertised for $810/mo. After fees and taxes, it's $901.. Wayyy too much I was expecting. Speaking of car insurance, I think I just call Liberty Mutual and tell them I no longer have the car. Hopefully I won't have to say hours just to talk to a rep lol. But yeah other than the CVT transmission, the car was pretty fun to drive. I'm actually thinking of replacing the XC40 with a 2017 Audi A4 Quattro, more like a project car to mess with :).

·
Registered
40 Posts
So it has been exactly 7 days since Carvana picked up my XC40, in which I actually have a payment made into the car. According to Carvana, Volvo will issue any refunds (if you're positive on your car, not upside down). Today I tried to login to VCFC and yep, I no longer have the car on my name. It was just asking me to register a vehicle. I do hope Volvo will issue the refunds though.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts