Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we have any chemist on board? In my flying days I always have a carbon monoxide detector in the cockpit because a malfunctioned heater in the winter can dump carbon monoxide into the cabin. The detector has saved my life once or twice. You will fall a sleep, faint, and eventually die without knowing. I carry this habit into my cars for the same reasons.

Now we know that carbon monoxide is a result incomplete combustion but is it possible that it formed from certain material being heated beyond a certain point?

I was visiting my friend and parked in his driveway in the sun for numerous hours. When I entered my Volvo, my CO alarm was blaring and I noticed 179

ppm on the display. Over 100 is a dangerous level and over 200 can be fatal. I immediately rolled down all windows and started to drive and the numbers dropped immediately. I thought perhaps the heated detector gives false positive but that can't be the case because the temperature drop hasn't happened yet when the number was dropping.

My question is, is there a possibility that some material in the Volvo's cabin would "emulate" carbon monoxide emission when heated beyond a certain point? (BTW, outside temperature was 97 degree Fahrenheit (but inside was more likely over 120 degrees).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Probably more likely that the heat from sitting in the sun effected the calibration of the instrument. In my work I use several types of gas and chemical detection instruments though not CO2 specifically. - The instruments I use are quite effected by high temperatures. Vinyl and PVC are also known to off-gas on newer vehicles especially when heated. As the plastic ages the off-gassing reduces significantly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Values when driving? Try a location out of the sun?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts