Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
This is another “head scratching moment”. It has happened before. When I pull up to the garage, given how tight it is with a second car inside, my passenger would usually hop out of the car first before I continue to creep into the garage (of course with the 360 camera, yay).
What I don’t understand is each time the passenger hops out of the car, this message pops up - clearly no one has touched the Key, let alone remove it from the car, it’s still with me the whole time.
For now, I just proceed into the garage but God forbid I get out of the car and the car won’t start with the assumption that I no longer have the key! Under current situation, I close a blind eye since the car still functions (unless you stop it completely then try to start back up) …but under other circumstances, this could be dangerous if you can’t operate the car Even with the key with you.

Guess the fix is walk away (far away) and wait for a while…..hhmmm….technology !

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
(Joke)
You say strange I say magical.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Might be RF interference from the vehicle you have parked close to the P8. Does the passenger have keyless remote key to that vehicle?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Received the parking brake service required notice this morning when trying to go to work. Car won't shift into neutral, drive or reverse. We had heavy rain last night so I thought the brakes might have just been seized a bit. Tried rocking the car and it won't budge. Tried locking walking awaycoming back and repeated all the warnings. Walked away again and grabbed the second FOB, same warnings. Reset the central computer, same warnings still appeared, really was hoping the reset would work here.

Also the center stack Car status/ service tab does a parking brake failure/tap here for details. The parking brake is failing bring the vehicle to a workshop

Volvo keeps asking for us to just drive it down there, I wish I could... Cuz then I wouldn't need them. They're 2 weeks out on service calls and no loaners. So we have time to experiment I guess.

If anyone else has had this happen with a solution I'd love to hear and try it!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Received the parking brake service required notice this morning when trying to go to work. Car won't shift into neutral, drive or reverse. We had heavy rain last night so I thought the brakes might have just been seized a bit. Tried rocking the car and it won't budge. Tried locking walking awaycoming back and repeated all the warnings. Walked away again and grabbed the second FOB, same warnings. Reset the central computer, same warnings still appeared, really was hoping the reset would work here.

Also the center stack Car status/ service tab does a parking brake failure/tap here for details. The parking brake is failing bring the vehicle to a workshop

Volvo keeps asking for us to just drive it down there, I wish I could... Cuz then I wouldn't need them. They're 2 weeks out on service calls and no loaners. So we have time to experiment I guess.

If anyone else has had this happen with a solution I'd love to hear and try it!
Wow. That certainly sucks.

Did Volvo offer you a loaner while you wait?

You could contact Volvo and see if they can get you in to another service center within range and maybe they will eat the tow cost.

Another option is to call around any dealerships within easy tow range and see their availability.

It sounds like you either have a serious fault or a serious software error making it think you have a fault :( can’t think of any tricks that would get it working :(

Good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow. That certainly sucks.

Did Volvo offer you a loaner while you wait?

You could contact Volvo and see if they can get you in to another service center within range and maybe they will eat the tow cost.

Another option is to call around any dealerships within easy tow range and see their availability.

It sounds like you either have a serious fault or a serious software error making it think you have a fault :( can’t think of any tricks that would get it working :(

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Utah only has the one dealer and their loaner cars are few and far between right now. We might have a car by tonight, but right now we do not. They were able to inspect the car yesterday, first report is a fault in the brake control module, sounds like they might be replacing it after Volvo HQ gives them the go ahead. They described it as a "false power issue" with improper readings with a possible short. So... nothing we could have fixed at home and it doesn't sound like any preventative measures would have saved us either... TBD

·
Registered
171 Posts
A recent problem. I went to get into the car and everything was dead. No power to any component and the car would not go into any car.

No dashboard display but the central display did light up. However, the tow mode would not engage.

Volvo sent a flat bad truck. The 12 volt jump did nothing to unlock the car.

Using tire skids, they flat bed towed it.

The next day the fix was the new software update and correcting the micro-processor reset in the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) .This was a noted recall,
R10078. However, on checking, my VIN was not included in the recall and I never received a recall notification.

I am not certain how prevalent this recall might be. My car was not included and the end result was a car that was dead.

I did report it to NHTSA and sent a letter to Volvo.

Just a concern that the recall might not correctly identify all cars that are effected.

Having a dead car when you need to get somewhere is not the highlight of the day.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
A recent problem. I went to get into the car and everything was dead. No power to any component and the car would not go into any car.

No dashboard display but the central display did light up. However, the tow mode would not engage.

Volvo sent a flat bad truck. The 12 volt jump did nothing to unlock the car.

Using tire skids, they flat bed towed it.

The next day the fix was the new software update and correcting the micro-processor reset in the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) .This was a noted recall,
R10078. However, on checking, my VIN was not included in the recall and I never received a recall notification.

I am not certain how prevalent this recall might be. My car was not included and the end result was a car that was dead.

I did report it to NHTSA and sent a letter to Volvo.

Just a concern that the recall might not correctly identify all cars that are effected.

Having a dead car when you need to get somewhere is not the highlight of the day.
That sounds horrid … and a nightmare. It takes a talented tow truck driver to get a car out of our condo garage so I am keeping my fingers crossed that never happens.

I agree with you 100% about wishing we knew how often these things are happening. That would either get rid of 99% of car anxiety if it is good or … well the opposite :). Either way I doubt they will share :( good job with the official reporting and good luck.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts