Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Car won't start

22K views 55 replies 27 participants last post by  carmelvt 
#1 ·
This morning I got into my gym clothes and got in the Volvo to go to the gym. The car wouldn't start. I kept getting a message on the driver's screen saying Start System Check Brake Pull lever all the way to start. Of course I had already pushed it all the way into Reverse (I was in my garage). I tried stepping on, then off the brake, putting the car in drive and reverse multiple times but kept getting the same message. I tried holding the shift lever in place for an extended period but nothing changed. Finally a little warning appeared in the lower right of the display saying emergency assistance and giving the 800 number.

I called the 800 number and they first wanted to troubleshoot the key fob, so they told me to empty the cupholders (I had my dark glasses in them), then place the key fob on the diagram of the key in the cupholder. Only there was no diagram of the key. I put it in there anyway and tried again. Same thing happened. At that point she said she'd start a case and call a tow truck. Shortly after that I got a text saying the tow truck was on its way in 40 minutes. I changed my clothes, showered and decided to try one more time. Of course this time the car started the first time. I called the 800 number again and they left it up to me to be towed or cancel. I decided to cancel because my experience is that mechanics can't can't diagnose, much less fix, a problem when they can't see it or get a code. and with a brand new model like this, I suspect they have no clue what to do even if the error happens.

I want to start the thread to make a record of it so we can see if others have the same problem. Maybe this should be a general troubleshooting thread. Has anyone else had this happen?

See less See more
#2 ·
Added info: it had 63% charge and the bluetooth worked fine, although it seemed to keep balking when I started to play music on my phone. It took me three or four times to get the music playing, and that was before I tried to start the car.

#5 ·
I was told that spot was for the RFID reader if there is a complete system failure or power loss and you need to turn on the car.

#7 ·
Ouch that sounds scary. Do we need to add:
1. Walk a way from your car before walking back and
2. Walk away from your car and return with a different key

to our diagnosis / fixing routines.

I do hope that going to have a shower is not an essential part of fixing the car (joke)

• Haha
Reactions: Ces
#8 ·
During the initial episode, I did get out of the car with the key once and stood about twenty feet away for a minute or so, just to see if I could "reboot" the car, but that didn't help. I didn't try the orange key.

#9 ·
Is 20 feet enough?

Enough being defined as the distance that if you put your key on the ground and walked back to the car it would not let you in?

20 feet seems like it could be on the edge of too close.

You could also define the magic distance as the distance at which the flash your lights /lock button stops working plus say 10 more feet to be sure :)

Yay sciencing ones car …

#11 ·
Wow that is a lot shorter than I would of expected based on modern and old cars.

Sadness that I cannot re lock my doors from 30+ feet to placate my ocd/ptsd. 5 feet…I can almost stretch that far!!!

• Haha
#12 ·
I interpret @goatsweater experiment as unlocking via opening a locked door using the presence of the key, not by physically pressing the lock/unlock button on the fob. The key was sitting 5' away and was able to open a locked door. Is that correct? Please let me know if I read that wrong.

I can attest to re-locking doors from across the parking lot with the key fob does work, as I did that yesterday (because the lights are just fun to look at)

#14 ·
Sweet :)

That makes the short range of key detection perfect. Of course this means that Rats 20 feet was enough so it is unknown as to why it worked.

I hate problems that resolve without reason almost as much as those that appear without reason.

Hopefully it never happens again or happens again and stays so it can be fixed.

#15 ·
Yet again, the Owners Manual reveals the secret:
Remote key range

Updated 11/9/2020

In order to function correctly, the remote key must be within a certain distance from the vehicle.
Manual use
The remote key's functions for e.g. locking and unlocking, which are activated by pressing
or
, have a range of approx. 20 meters (65 feet) from the vehicle. If the vehicle's locks do not react, move closer and try again.

Keyless use
P6-1746-XC40-Remote key range

For keyless use, a remote key or the Key Tag must be within the shaded areas shown in the illustration, i.e. a semicircle with a radius of approx. 1.5 meter (5 feet) along the sides of the vehicle or approx. 1 meter (3 feet) from the tailgate.
Note
The functions of the remote control key can be disrupted by ambient radio waves, buildings, topographical conditions, etc. The vehicle can always be locked/unlocked using the key blade.
If the remote key is removed from the vehicle
If the key is removed from the vehicle while the engine is running, the warning message The car key is not detected. See Owner's Manual for more information. will be displayed in the instrument panel and an audible signal will sound when the last door is closed.
The message will disappear when the key is returned to the vehicle and the O button on the right-side steering wheel keypad is pressed or when the last door is closed again.

#17 ·
I've since driven the car without further incident several times, but I'm still not 100% confident in its reliability. If it does happen again, I'll definitely take/tow it to the dealer whether or not I can restart it. I'll also take a picture of the driver's screen to preserve the error message, which I failed to do the first time.

#18 ·
Same issue for me this morning. Start System Check Brake. Pull lever all the way to start. Reverse or forward, neither worked. In and out of car. Still no go. Called On Call. Tow truck on the way. Tried again; car went into drive, but new message, Drive to Workshop, Propulsion System, ... can't remember. Tow truck arrived. Car went into drive normally. No messages. Drove to dealership; tow truck followed for a while.

I'll post again when I hear from the dealership.

#21 ·
Dealership found codes popped, reset, applied updates. They kept the car overnight, to take another look. But so far, they haven't found anything to fix. No reason to expect recurrence, no reason not to.

Technology = complexity. That's what we chose; brand new tech at that. I, personally, am good with the trade-off. Love the car!

#22 ·
This is another “head scratching moment”. It has happened before. When I pull up to the garage, given how tight it is with a second car inside, my passenger would usually hop out of the car first before I continue to creep into the garage (of course with the 360 camera, yay).
What I don’t understand is each time the passenger hops out of the car, this message pops up - clearly no one has touched the Key, let alone remove it from the car, it’s still with me the whole time.
For now, I just proceed into the garage but God forbid I get out of the car and the car won’t start with the assumption that I no longer have the key! Under current situation, I close a blind eye since the car still functions (unless you stop it completely then try to start back up) …but under other circumstances, this could be dangerous if you can’t operate the car Even with the key with you.

Guess the fix is walk away (far away) and wait for a while…..hhmmm….technology !

#28 ·
Received the parking brake service required notice this morning when trying to go to work. Car won't shift into neutral, drive or reverse. We had heavy rain last night so I thought the brakes might have just been seized a bit. Tried rocking the car and it won't budge. Tried locking walking awaycoming back and repeated all the warnings. Walked away again and grabbed the second FOB, same warnings. Reset the central computer, same warnings still appeared, really was hoping the reset would work here.

Also the center stack Car status/ service tab does a parking brake failure/tap here for details. The parking brake is failing bring the vehicle to a workshop

Volvo keeps asking for us to just drive it down there, I wish I could... Cuz then I wouldn't need them. They're 2 weeks out on service calls and no loaners. So we have time to experiment I guess.

If anyone else has had this happen with a solution I'd love to hear and try it!

#29 ·
Wow. That certainly sucks.

Did Volvo offer you a loaner while you wait?

You could contact Volvo and see if they can get you in to another service center within range and maybe they will eat the tow cost.

Another option is to call around any dealerships within easy tow range and see their availability.

It sounds like you either have a serious fault or a serious software error making it think you have a fault :( can’t think of any tricks that would get it working :(

Good luck and let us know what happens.

#32 ·
A recent problem. I went to get into the car and everything was dead. No power to any component and the car would not go into any car.

No dashboard display but the central display did light up. However, the tow mode would not engage.

Volvo sent a flat bad truck. The 12 volt jump did nothing to unlock the car.

Using tire skids, they flat bed towed it.

The next day the fix was the new software update and correcting the micro-processor reset in the Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) .This was a noted recall,
R10078. However, on checking, my VIN was not included in the recall and I never received a recall notification.

I am not certain how prevalent this recall might be. My car was not included and the end result was a car that was dead.

I did report it to NHTSA and sent a letter to Volvo.

Just a concern that the recall might not correctly identify all cars that are effected.

Having a dead car when you need to get somewhere is not the highlight of the day.

#33 ·
That sounds horrid … and a nightmare. It takes a talented tow truck driver to get a car out of our condo garage so I am keeping my fingers crossed that never happens.

I agree with you 100% about wishing we knew how often these things are happening. That would either get rid of 99% of car anxiety if it is good or … well the opposite :). Either way I doubt they will share :( good job with the official reporting and good luck.

#35 ·
There are a few others with the same problem. They seem to be related to dead /faulty 12 volts.

I assume you will be getting it to service tomorrow?

Of you search on here you can find others who had the same and how it got fixed. It is good to know how it will be fixed before getting to service so you can guide them.

Good luck. Let us know what happens

#37 ·
Well it's at the dealer, but the "Recharge guy" is out until Wednesday... we'll see what they say. Also no loaner available. The VIN ends in 2525145 so not sure which month that ends up in. Like I said earlier, it was stuck at the port for ages waiting on a software update as a result of one of the recalls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.