Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the second time in a month the dealer returned my wife's car to her at 40%.

The first time I'm wrote a nice email explaining why this was an issue. I was assured it wouldn't happen again.

What makes me angry is that I considered calling today and asking them to charge it after they left the message that it was ready. But I thought, "no, certainly they won't do that again."

I guess it's fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I am confused. Did you deliver the car with a high amount of charge?

I would assume when I drop of my car for service it would return with the original charge minus a little. Never expected them to fill it with gas when I had an ice car either.

My dealerships only has 1 charger which they use for their demo cars / new cars. They had to drive my car off site to charge it up some when I got it the first time as the charger was being used by another car. Also their charger was a level 2 …

If this sounds argumentative, it was not meant to be I am just curious as to what I am missing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a difference here. If I pick up my car and it doesn't have gas then I simply pop into a station for a fill up.

Picking up a car during peak charging time and finding out you can't get home until you charge it is bad. Additionally there is a huge cost difference between filling up cars and plugging them into a slow charger for a few hours.

Car probably arrived home at or below 30. If we had something planned for this evening we would be out of luck. I can't absolutely say that the dealer could have charged it, but they have two chargers, one in the service area. I've gone to pick the car up and it's been sitting at the charger but not plugged in.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
But you would not really be out of luck you could stop in to a level 3 charger. Pay 11 dollars and in 30 mins pop that 30% up to 80%.

We can afford a 60k car so hopefully spending 11 dollars to charge it is not a big deal.

I would agree that they should not return it to you with 10% but 40% is about 84 miles which is not bad.

Was the charge you dropped it off at not similar to the charge it had when you got it back? Would it not of had more charge if you were planning to go somewhere? They would have to of done something pretty strange to of used more this a couple of %.

Maybe it’s my non American butt that does not expect things for free. Maybe I should learn to ask for more freebies but probably not.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I sort of see your comparison of this to them filling up the gas tank in an ice vehicle, however most dealers don’t have gas pumps on lot. All of them have electricity and at least a charger, if not multiple. My dealer has 2 DC fast chargers out in the parking lot, 1 DC up where they prep vehicles for delivery and at least a few level 2. I took delivery of my original P8 in June and it was charged to 28% and I made sure to tell them that this was highly unacceptable but I didn’t want to wait for them to charge it more. I think overall there is a lack of understanding of charging protocols/logistics and looking out for early adopters of this new vehicle on the dealership side. The same thing would happen on my previous EV. I’d come to pick up my vehicle from service at the VW dealer and it hadn’t been plugged in despite there being 4 available, non-networked, publicly accessible and available level 2 chargers.

My feeling is that [most] legacy automakers just don’t yet understand how to properly sell, troubleshoot, repair, or provide an adequate level of customer service for EVs. It’ll get better. I hope. :)

It’s also unacceptable that you addressed this with your dealer, got a response, and then it happened again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My thinking is that if you want the dealer to charge the battery when it's in for a service, you should ask them to do it as an extra, the same as if you want them to wash the underside or rotate the wheels. And expect to pay.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't think it's an entitlement issue.
The customer has asked before for the vehicle to be charged and they agreed to do it. He's irritated that they didn't.

I would ask the service advisor at check-in to put that on the order so hopefully they don't forget again.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
My dealer actually returned it 90% (what I have the limit set to). I was actually surprised as I gave it to them with like 60%, but they plug it until I pick it up. I have no expectation that I will get the car back with more juice than I gave it to them with, but I do understand the pint. Having low gas at pickup is a 5 min inconvenience, having low power could be a detour and long inconvenience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts