Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
XC40 P8 2021 - Sage Green
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I drove my XC40 down to 75%.
Plugged to wall charger in my garage, limit set to 80%in the evening.
I checked the VOC app in the morning, it reported 80% as expected.
Took the car about 1 hour later, it was in fact charged at ... 75%
Plugged it to a fast charger at destination, 5.2kWh in 10 minutes, back to 80%
I let the car on the parking (warmer, sunny?), and after 1 hour it showed 83%
Drove back down (Lausanne is a hilly city and I usually don't lose charge when going back (down) home.
Plugged to wall charger back home, set the limit back to 90%, after 2 hours it seems to have lost 1%, showing 82%
The charger is properly plugged, blinking green.

Nonsensical.
Never seen such a behavior before v1.7
Only other explanation would be something related to temp° getting colder these days.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, quick update: the car does not recognize any of the 3 keys now.
I had to use the emergency key located in the remote.
Waiting for the assistance.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
357 Posts
Lock your car for the night when go to bed and leave it locked until morning. I had problems with the car not finding keys at all when want to pair. Lock and leave fixed that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would do that if only one of the keys was working. But it's not. So it sat unlocked in the garage overnight. Same symptoms this morning.
It "wakes up" when I open the door but as soon as I try to put it in R or D, various messages appear:

• no key detected
  • eCall unavalaible, service required
  • to start, pull shifter full aft

(translated from French)

Yesterday evening, the guy from the Assistance (commissioned by Volvo but not a brand expert) came, unplugged the aux battery twice, which did bring back some functions but not relaletd to actually driving the car.

A truck is supposed to take it to the Volvo workshop / dealership later today. I guess they will have fun getting it out of the garage box with a stuck parking brake, typical downhill Swiss street and no clearance on both side...

Sometimes I wish I stil had my good old trustable BMW.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Wow you cannot even lock unlock or drive it that is horrible.

I hope they got it out okay. Did you video them
Doing it?

Make sure you check under the car when you get it back.

What temperature is it there now?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't lock, unlock, drive... I had to use the emergency key in the remote to open and get in the car.
Yes, I'll make sure to document the way they get it out.

Temps is now as low as 6°C (about 43° F) in the morning / evening.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Same temperatures in Seattle and no problems mmmm. Well good to know that an icebound country did not make a car that always dies in mild cold … that would be … unfortunate.

Good luck. Let us know what they did to fix it.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
301 Posts
I would do that if only one of the keys was working. But it's not. So it sat unlocked in the garage overnight.
In hindsight, did the VOC phone app stop working as well? Otherwise, it could be used to lock it for a deep sleep.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VOC does not sync anymore (even when within bluetooth range, which it does not "catch"), alas.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Can they jump start a dead car enough to get it into tow more? I hope so. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
301 Posts
VOC does not sync anymore (even when within bluetooth range, which it does not "catch"), alas.
Ugh! This is disheartening. I hope that they get yours fixed soon and learn something from it. I suppose that the same issue is lurking to affect another victim.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
357 Posts
Can't lock, unlock, drive... I had to use the emergency key in the remote to open and get in the car.
Yes, I'll make sure to document the way they get it out.

Temps is now as low as 6°C (about 43° F) in the morning / evening.
That is horrible. Let us know what happened. I do not believe that is related to the ambient temperature.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick update.

The person who came to get it out of the garage first tried to jumpstart the AUX battery. No luck.
But he remembered that when keys are not recognized, there's an area within the storage compartment (between front seat) with a key symbol on it. Put the key there. Bingo. We were able to drive the car out of the garage then to the dealership/workshop. Keys still cannot lock/unlock the car, it still displays various error messages (e.g. Volvo onCall disabled). VOC still believes the car is charging at my place but oddly enough, shows the correct SOC%.

There's a case opened with Volvo Assistance and they are supposed to manage everything. Including a rental car should I need one, free of charge.

I am now waiting for a Monday morning call from the Volvo workshop and will keep you posted.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Oops I thought you had tried the special key finding place. I should of checked you had. Oops

Reactions: Albator

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick update #2

My car is at the Volvo workshop. They said they could not work on it today but would revert to me tomorrow.

Until then, it was not able to communicate with the VOC app which constantly (and erroneously) reported the car as plugged, charging, with a SOC of 82%, doors closed.
This evening, the app reports that the car is not charging anymore, doors are closed oh wait... now open... oh, closed again (this in less than 3 seconds).
The SOC% erratically was reported as 77% then 82%, then, 77% and now apparently a steady 82% with the car being unplugged.

Weird things are happening, but at least there seems to be some sort of communication between the car and VOC servers?... This was not the case over the last 2 days.

👻

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Quick update #2

My car is at the Volvo workshop. They said they could not work on it today but would revert to me tomorrow.

Until then, it was not able to communicate with the VOC app which constantly (and erroneously) reported the car as plugged, charging, with a SOC of 82%, doors closed.
This evening, the app reports that the car is not charging anymore, doors are closed oh wait... now open... oh, closed again (this in less than 3 seconds).
The SOC% erratically was reported as 77% then 82%, then, 77% and now apparently a steady 82% with the car being unplugged.

Weird things are happening, but at least there seems to be some sort of communication between the car and VOC servers?... This was not the case over the last 2 days.

👻
And thankfully the voc app does not have a self destruct option. . .

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Car has been fixed. Apparently the wireless module went berserk. They had to reset it (and update it). Weird since it was already under 1.7...
Everything seems fine even if I had some GPS (temporarily lost signal) and Google assistant issues (not performing as usual) which might not be related to it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts