Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was just reading this article on the new C40, and I noted an interesting thing in the article. Regarding the buttons on the steering wheel which no longer function since an OTA update moved the Pilot Assist function into the touchscreen, "Jonas Engström, head of strategy and business ownership, tells us functionality for them is on the way."

Also, regarding the new range-extending function we got with the latest update; "We're told that for now it will affect only climate-control operation but it could expand to tweak other systems that siphon energy from the battery."

If this is true, I'm really excited to see what comes with the XC40/C40 (I own the XC40 Recharge) over the coming updates. I know that some people on here like to moan about the half-baked nature of the XC40 EV, but Volvo seems to be doing much more than the other mainstream brands when it comes to significant OTA improvements to the car. Tesla are known for this, of course, but the likes of BMW, Mercedes etc haven't been making OTA improvements to their EVs, instead waiting for model year changes like the 'old days'. Having driving the Mercedes EQC for a week recently, I would take my XC40 over it any day!

·
Registered
315 Posts
There is a ton of potential for what a “range mode” feature could do here. First, it could force the car into FWD mode (or at least more FWD bias) to get more power. On the freeway the car -should- be already going into FWD mode entirely; the Porsche Taycan ”range” mode did this; Tesla does it by default. Other things like making the map of the go pedal (accelerator) to be less quick on the uptake to slow you down slightly — etc —-

Totally agree, should be interesting and fun to see what future holds and how much they continue to support this platform. As the XC40/C40 are the only 100% BEV from Volvo right now, it would benefit them heavily to support us and garnish data from users/owners ASAP for future cars!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, that’s the optimistic view. :)

A more pessimistic view is that they shipped it before it was ready, figuring they’d finish it later with OTA updates. Unfortunately that is becoming the norm in the technology business.

To be fair, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

But there is no kind view of their software development competence. It’s one thing to be late with features. It’s an entirely different thing to release bug riddled software that can’t do simple things like keep the car connected to the network it relies on.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge | Bursting Blue
25 Posts
There is a ton of potential for what a “range mode” feature could do here. First, it could force the car into FWD mode (or at least more FWD bias) to get more power. On the freeway the car -should- be already going into FWD mode entirely; the Porsche Taycan ”range” mode did this; Tesla does it by default.

Unfortunately this cannot happen with the XC40/C40 platform.

This platform uses two permanent magnet motors, which cannot be turned off during operation. All wheel drive cars that can operate in FWD only will use a permanent motor in the front and an induction motor on the rear that can be turned off.

·
Registered
315 Posts

This platform uses two permanent magnet motors, which cannot be turned off during operation. All wheel drive cars that can operate in FWD only will use a permanent motor in the front and an induction motor on the rear that can be turned off.
Today I learned! Does this also mean the bias cannot change front to rear? Or just means while power can shift front to rear some amount greater than 0% must always occur at rear? This is a good argument for 4x hub motors like many other vehicles forthcoming plan to use.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge | Bursting Blue
25 Posts
I believe they could alter the power bias between the front and rear motor through software if they wanted to. I've heard that some manufacturers will use a more powerful motor in the rear in order to produce a more rear bias driving experience. No extra programming needed.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
185 Posts
I believe they could alter the power bias between the front and rear motor through software if they wanted to. I've heard that some manufacturers will use a more powerful motor in the rear in order to produce a more rear bias driving experience. No extra programming needed.
That’s what VW is doing with the ID4 AWD models.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

I think that is an advantage the VW/Audi has. The rear motor is a permeant magnet and the front is induction and they turn it off when not needed. That probably explains why the AWD ID/4 gives up only about 10 miles of range.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'd like to see them put it back to what the buttons were designed to do and what they do in other Volvos (Pilot Assist toggles), or maybe make it customizable with that as one of the options.

Reactions: Luckycharms

·
Registered
315 Posts
What is REALLY odd about the removal of that button from the XC40 is that my 2022 Polestar 2 running the same v1.7 software still has the "right button toggles PA" feature set. Meaning the change seems isolated to the XC40 only; strange. (in reply to @1moreRobot above)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
What frustrates me is they are spending all this effort on what is essentially cosmetic's while there are functional issues that need to be fixed. This really does show this car is a work in progress and they clearly knew when they released it that it was going to be a work in progress where we all suffer along with their poor development work.

·
Registered
193 Posts
What is REALLY odd about the removal of that button from the XC40 is that my 2022 Polestar 2 running the same v1.7 software still has the "right button toggles PA" feature set. Meaning the change seems isolated to the XC40 only; strange. (in reply to @1moreRobot above)
that is strange. It’s like they’re making it up as they go along.
my understanding is that XC60s and V90s running AAOS have the same config as XC40 Recharge.

Reactions: He Keith

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
219 Posts
P8 has lots of unused potential. It has identical permanent magnet motors front and back for what I know. Both 150kW. I am pretty sure car will be updated with two or more driving modes. Something like Sport and Eco. It makes sense. Another thing I am pretty sure it will come is little bump in performance. Improving in the acceleration curve and making it bit faster. We will see. For now it is what it is. XC40 is their most popular model. I do not believe they will neglect it. 2022 will be different with lots of features coming.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
185 Posts
Volvo released the MVP for the XC40, emphasis on minimum.
Like @XC90_Dinosaur said, it has a lot of potential and I wouldn’t be surprised with a bunch of new features in 2022. VC has to stay relevant mostly because the competition will get steeper next year.

·
Registered
9 Posts

That's what I initally thought also, but if that's the case then I don't understand how the XC40 coasts with minimal drag from the front/rear motors when not in OPD mode and you take your foot off of the "gas" pedal. Any thoughts on how they reduce motor drag when coasting?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts