Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-
Sorta a unique situation, but figured I would try things here, since the dealer told me it would be over a month before they could look at things for me...

2021 XC40 recharge, paired with 'Volvo Cars' app just fine after purchase. Fast forward 2 weeks, rear ended and car is in the shop for the better part of 2 months while parts were 'found'. In that time I got a new phone.

When I got the car back, the app needed to pair with it again (asking me to enter the VIN, as if I had never paired the car at all). The next screen says to finish the pairing on the center screen of the car (settings-->Profiles-->on call devices <or something like that>). The on call device listed is my OLD phone, when selected it says to unpair the phone using the app. The problem is that there is no option for that in the app, and there is no option to pair a new phone through the car. I have confirmed I am logged in as admin, using the same login on the car an the app, and all keys were in the car at the time of attempted pairing.

Volvo told me to call "on call", where I spent close to an hour with a tech uninstalling and reinstalling, logging out and in, and tweaking any setting we could find. I was fine at this point doing a 'factory reset' -- but it appears even that is not an option (I can navigate to where this is supposed to be possible, but the 'button' to execute the reset is nowhere to be found...).

So it seems that it is more than just a 'pairing with the app' problem -- the car may not be recognizing admin. credentials (my profile is the only profile on the car). FWIW, I do not think the latest update has gone through either...

Someone else commented a while ago -- in any other car, this would be a matter of unplugging a battery cable... But I am told that the XC40 'shutdown' process takes something like 3 hours...

Just curious if anyone else has had a similar issue, or has any ideas that will get this fixed before Thanksgiving and without spending a day at the shop...

Thanks!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hello-
Sorta a unique situation, but figured I would try things here, since the dealer told me it would be over a month before they could look at things for me...

2021 XC40 recharge, paired with 'Volvo Cars' app just fine after purchase. Fast forward 2 weeks, rear ended and car is in the shop for the better part of 2 months while parts were 'found'. In that time I got a new phone.

When I got the car back, the app needed to pair with it again (asking me to enter the VIN, as if I had never paired the car at all). The next screen says to finish the pairing on the center screen of the car (settings-->Profiles-->on call devices <or something like that>). The on call device listed is my OLD phone, when selected it says to unpair the phone using the app. The problem is that there is no option for that in the app, and there is no option to pair a new phone through the car. I have confirmed I am logged in as admin, using the same login on the car an the app, and all keys were in the car at the time of attempted pairing.

Volvo told me to call "on call", where I spent close to an hour with a tech uninstalling and reinstalling, logging out and in, and tweaking any setting we could find. I was fine at this point doing a 'factory reset' -- but it appears even that is not an option (I can navigate to where this is supposed to be possible, but the 'button' to execute the reset is nowhere to be found...).

So it seems that it is more than just a 'pairing with the app' problem -- the car may not be recognizing admin. credentials (my profile is the only profile on the car). FWIW, I do not think the latest update has gone through either...

Someone else commented a while ago -- in any other car, this would be a matter of unplugging a battery cable... But I am told that the XC40 'shutdown' process takes something like 3 hours...

Just curious if anyone else has had a similar issue, or has any ideas that will get this fixed before Thanksgiving and without spending a day at the shop...

Thanks!
I ran into the same problem trying to finish a factory reset. There was no button to press which would confirm the intention to reset and start the process. Later I learned that, when you are on that final screen, there is a word (which I think is “reset”) that looks greyed out but is, in fact, the button you need to activate to begin the reset. Good luck. I think completing a factory reset will solve your problem. And, yes, Volvo Customer Service is often a waste of time, a lot of time.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Factory reset is your solution :) I had to do it to get mine working. It is surprisingly painless.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran into the same problem trying to finish a factory reset. There was no button to press which would confirm the intention to reset and start the process. Later I learned that, when you are on that final screen, there is a word (which I think is “reset”) that looks greyed out but is, in fact, the button you need to activate to begin the reset. Good luck. I think completing a factory reset will solve your problem. And, yes, Volvo Customer Service is often a waste of time, a lot of time.
FUNNY.. Yeah, the 'button' is in fact the word "Reset" in the upper right corner of the screen. Unfortunately it is the same font as the header text, which runs in to it. Looks like the header, not a button... After the reset, things work great. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
292 Posts
FUNNY.. Yeah, the 'button' is in fact the word "Reset" in the upper right corner of the screen. Unfortunately it is the same font as the header text, which runs in to it. Looks like the header, not a button... After the reset, things work great. Thanks for the tip!
I’m glad it worked for you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.