Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m starting to get anxious about my choice and am wondering if I ahold have got the XC40. I’m worried the lack of rear wiper and the tiny rear window etc will make me anxious when driving. How’s it been for you all (I can be an anxious driver in general)

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
833 Posts
I’m starting to get anxious about my choice and am wondering if I ahold have got the XC40. I’m worried the lack of rear wiper and the tiny rear window etc will make me anxious when driving. How’s it been for you all (I can be an anxious driver in general)
Not a biggie one bit as folks have made out it to be. Make sure you use sound and common judgement around driving mechanics such as looking over your right and left shoulder, using the rear mirror and the side mirrors and you absolutely should be gravy.

Life and driving is meant to be driving forward, not backward. Don’t let the reviews and peoples opinions wear you down. It’s theirs and there are a ton of ridiculous naysayers running around this forum, like “chickens with their heads cut off”. You’ll love the C40, and hoping you’ll share more pictures and driving experiences. 🔥

·
Registered
230 Posts
While driving around town, I'v e been watching for cars with similar fastbacks. There are dozens of models on the road without rear wipers and possibly unsettling rear views. Your question has been asked many times here and on other C40 sites; seems to be a non-issue with most of the owners although there are few folks who siad they were planning on an electronic rerview system or a dash-mounted rearview mirror.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm a fairly defensive driver and monitors the rear mirror quite often for tailgaters. I drove my Tesla Model Y, which has a similar mail-slot view out the rear without a wiper, for several months before our C40 came in. I had gotten very used to the small rearview by then so I was right at home in the C40. I find that using the sideview mirrors and moving my head while looking at the rearview mirror gets the view out the rear covered pretty well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It’s not an issue if you accept you are driving a “coupe”. There’s a perfectly “normal” roofline version available as the XC40. That model has more headroom and I believe a wiper. this version has to make some concessions.
That said, I do wish Volvo had a version of the “clear sight” rear view mirror system found in Land Rovers. I just loved how you got a great rear view and a really wide view on the highways with that system.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had the same concerns too before purchasing. Now that I have 1500 miles on the car, it has not concerned me one bit. I just use my side mirrors more and the blind spot sensors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would trust what others have said. You'll be fine in the c40.

I did go for the xc40 partially for that reason. That is because I'm going from a car without a backup camera or any other safety warnings (okay...i do have seatbelts). i thought it was too big of a jump for this older broad.

Again, I would trust what others say.

If when you get in the car you really do feel anxious, I'm sure the dealer will help you out. Dealers are making trades every day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts