Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I am a new driver for C40 2022. I preordered in mid-April, and I received my car last week. It works very well. I love it.

I usually use the Pilot Assist on the highway, and when my exit is close (I still have 2-3 mi), I will take over my car.
A Pilot Assist situation made me feel so confused and dangerous. I got on the freeway like normal and opened the Pilot Assist. Everything is fine, and my car is driving in the far right lane (not the shoulder). Then lane has a fork road for Exit, and my Pilot Assist forced me to get off the Highway. Pilot Assist quickly turned my car to the exit lane. However, I couldn't turn the car back to the correct lane because my car still kept the speed I set for the highway. Exit lanes usually need to slow down the speed. I only can promptly take over and slow down my car, then follow the exit road.
Is that because my car is on the far right lane, so Pilot Assist judged the wrong road?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I believe Pilot Assist is known to do that. When I'm driving the C40 on a highway and approaching a forked off-ramp, I tend to hold the steering wheel so the car can't veer off. I guess one good thing about Pilot Assist is that it won't disengage (at least in my experience) if you hold the steering wheel to prevent it from moving.

My wife and I both observed that the C40's Pilot Assist tend to hug the right side of the lane, so I guess maybe that causes the car to follow exits to the right off the highway unless you prevent the steering wheel from turning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife and I both observed that the C40's Pilot Assist tend to hug the right side of the lane, so I guess maybe that causes the car to follow exits to the right off the highway unless you prevent the steering wheel from turning.
I think that's true. C40's Pilot Assist tends to hug the right side of the lane. But it's hard to snatch the steering wheel from the Pilot Assist, especially when Pilot Assist judges you are departing lane. Next time I will not allow it to turn. Thank you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think that's true. C40's Pilot Assist tends to hug the right side of the lane. But it's hard to snatch the steering wheel from the Pilot Assist, especially when Pilot Assist judges you are departing lane. Next time I will not allow it to turn. Thank you.
I just noticed your Taiwan flag (we're from there). Are you located there? If so, I wonder if there are any differences between your car and US-spec C40s. I've found that it's pretty easy to take over the steering wheel from Pilot Assist. Definitely lower effort than my Tesla.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just noticed your Taiwan flag (we're from there). Are you located there? If so, I wonder if there are any differences between your car and US-spec C40s. I've found that it's pretty easy to take over the steering wheel from Pilot Assist. Definitely lower effort than my Tesla.
My husband and I live in the Bay area. We are also from Taiwan. Sometimes I forget to turn off VPN. My C40 is US-spec.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I am a new driver for C40 2022. I preordered in mid-April, and I received my car last week. It works very well. I love it.

I usually use the Pilot Assist on the highway, and when my exit is close (I still have 2-3 mi), I will take over my car.
A Pilot Assist situation made me feel so confused and dangerous. I got on the freeway like normal and opened the Pilot Assist. Everything is fine, and my car is driving in the far right lane (not the shoulder). Then lane has a fork road for Exit, and my Pilot Assist forced me to get off the Highway. Pilot Assist quickly turned my car to the exit lane. However, I couldn't turn the car back to the correct lane because my car still kept the speed I set for the highway. Exit lanes usually need to slow down the speed. I only can promptly take over and slow down my car, then follow the exit road.
Is that because my car is on the far right lane, so Pilot Assist judged the wrong road?
It is because the lane lines disappeared on the right and it was trying to center you to what it thought the lane become. Its a limitation of the feature, but you should not have difficulty overtaking the pilot assist, plus if you just tap the break it will disengage and you take full control again. Pilot assist isnt auto pilot and you really shouldnt ever be putting yourself in a situation where you are just letting the car drive for you with your hands off the wheel. Its really meant as an extension of cruise control while making minor steering adjustments for you while cruising.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is because the lane lines disappeared on the right and it was trying to center you to what it thought the lane become. Its a limitation of the feature, but you should not have difficulty overtaking the pilot assist, plus if you just tap the break it will disengage and you take full control again. Pilot assist isnt auto pilot and you really shouldnt ever be putting yourself in a situation where you are just letting the car drive for you with your hands off the wheel. Its really meant as an extension of cruise control while making minor steering adjustments for you while cruising.
My hand didn't off the wheel. Because this is frist time the pilot assist do that. I just got the shock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts