Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have a 2022 C40, did they come with Active Bending Lights?

According to the manual:
Depending on equipment level, vehicles with LED headlights may be equipped with Active Bending Lights.
Took delivery of a C40 (Ultimate, since it's the only trim in the US) in Colorado on 4/12/22 and it doesn't appear that it has ABL. I checked the window sticker, and there's no mention of them.

Interestingly, it has the Pixel LED heahlights, and the fog lights that illuminate at low speeds while turning. The fog lights were listed on the window sticker, but the Pixel lights were not.

We have an appointment next week to get some loose trim pieces fixed, and I will ask if I am just missing something with the ABL then. I've read the manual though, and took a drive at night with the lights in Auto, but I am thinking that the vehicle must not have come with ABL equipped.

I've also noticed that while sitting in park, the speakers hiss fairly loudly. If you turn on the overhead cabin light (the big one, not the two sideones), the hiss goes away. Also if you put the vehicle in drive or reverse, it stop. Multiple IHU reboots to no avail.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Ultimate
247 Posts
ABL is super obvious is you have it.
For those that have a 2022 C40, did they come with Active Bending Lights?

According to the manual:

Took delivery of a C40 (Ultimate, since it's the only trim in the US) in Colorado on 4/12/22 and it doesn't appear that it has ABL. I checked the window sticker, and there's no mention of them.

Interestingly, it has the Pixel LED heahlights, and the fog lights that illuminate at low speeds while turning. The fog lights were listed on the window sticker, but the Pixel lights were not.

We have an appointment next week to get some loose trim pieces fixed, and I will ask if I am just missing something with the ABL then. I've read the manual though, and took a drive at night with the lights in Auto, but I am thinking that the vehicle must not have come with ABL equipped.

I've also noticed that while sitting in park, the speakers hiss fairly loudly. If you turn on the overhead cabin light (the big one, not the two sideones), the hiss goes away. Also if you put the vehicle in drive or reverse, it stop. Multiple IHU reboots to no avail.
Hiss sounds like a grounding issue. ABL is very very obvious, so you would definitely know if it was equipped.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ABL is super obvious is you have it.

Hiss sounds like a grounding issue. ABL is very very obvious, so you would definitely know if it was equipped.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking about the hiss. We will see what the dealership says about it when I bring the car in.

I wish there was a little more transparency about what features are standard but missing when purchasing, but I guess it's a bit of the wild west right now with parts shortages.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I believe the pixel headlights and ABL are mutually exclusive. ABL is mechanical (the headlights physically move) while the pixel headlights are all electronic (the lighting pattern is controlled by turning individual LEDs on and off.) I don't think you can have both.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe the pixel headlights and ABL are mutually exclusive. ABL is mechanical (the headlights physically move) while the pixel headlights are all electronic (the lighting pattern is controlled by turning individual LEDs on and off.) I don't think you can have both.
I think that the demonstration in this video is done only with the Pixel headlights. Bjorn shows both the active bending, and the pixel useage on the same vehicle. I will have to rewatch it again, but I don't think he switches vehicles mid test.

·
Registered
57 Posts
On the XC40, only the base Core model lacks ABL, so something may be wrong if you have an Ultimate only C40. From the manual: “Active Bending lights are only activated in weak daylight or darkness or when the lighting ring on the steering wheel lever is in position Auto. The vehicle must be moving with high beams or low beams on.”
Bjørn Nyland’s video makes it seem like the lights physically move with the steering, but Volvo’s manual suggests it is the fog lights themselves doing the work on dipped-beam mode. At 1:55 it would appear the movement is with high beams on, using the pixels. I presume your C40 has them, but perhaps your car needs a software update to activate, given it’s fairly recently that NHTSA allowed them. There’s also a minimum speed at which the pixel high beams do their magic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I finally see what you mean. I'm driving a XC60 for a loaner and the headlights turn with the steering wheel in addition to the corner light fogs. I don't think the C40 has that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And what explains the difference in the description of the lights in those two window stickers? Mine mentioned pixel and ABL
I am not sure. I have an appointment next Thursday to get some trim fixed and I will ask them then and update here. In the meantime, I was just trying to figure out if the C40 Ultimate was suppose to come with ABL. I thought I had read it did at some point. So either, it is present and doesn't work, or it is not present and do I have a course of action?

·
Registered
C40
31 Posts
I am not sure. I have an appointment next Thursday to get some trim fixed and I will ask them then and update here. In the meantime, I was just trying to figure out if the C40 Ultimate was suppose to come with ABL. I thought I had read it did at some point. So either, it is present and doesn't work, or it is not present and do I have a course of action?
I’m looking forward to this as well - my C40 is also missing the ABL on the sticker but shows pixel on the headlights themselves.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just dropped by my dealer for an update. One of the sales staff told me that new C40 orders are being told not to expect Pixel Matrix High Beams or ABL for now. Supply chain issues with some parts coming from Ukraine and others coming from cities in China under lockdown was the issue, I was told. I imagine anyone looking at a 2023 XC40 wouldn’t be seeing a car until December in any case, and by then, perhaps these things will be resolved. My 2022 was built on time, it seems, so unless it gets into trouble on the high seas, it should be turning up in 5 weeks.

·
Registered
C40
31 Posts
I just dropped by my dealer for an update. One of the sales staff told me that new C40 orders are being told not to expect Pixel Matrix High Beams or ABL for now. Supply chain issues with some parts coming from Ukraine and others coming from cities in China under lockdown was the issue, I was told.
Would be nice to know if they can be added later or those who don’t have them are truely missing out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Our January, 2022 built C40 has a sticker that indicates Pixel head lights with ABL. I can observe the light turning with the steering wheel. If your sticker doesn't state ABL, do you see the light turning with the steering wheel?

·
Registered
C40
31 Posts
Our January, 2022 built C40 has a sticker that indicates Pixel head lights with ABL. I can observe the light turning with the steering wheel. If your sticker doesn't state ABL, do you see the light turning with the steering wheel?
My build date is Jan 22 as well - No ABL mention on sticker; in fact mine is identical to @Mr_Afternoon above complete with repeated listing of “Road Sign &…” with that weird typo/duplication seems like a quick sticker change in my opinion.
I also have not been able to detect any motion from the headlights - per your example or matching videos online.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a quick update. Had the car into service (was not the same location as sales) to get some loose trim fixed. They didn't have any comment on the ABL situation. Build date is Feb 22 on the vehicle. I will call up the sales person who sold us the car and pick their brain instead.

·
Registered
C40
31 Posts
A
Just a quick update.
I heard from my salesman today - not terribly helpful; unless they really did just remove from the sticker? This below is his response to my asking him about it:

And as for the pixel lights, this is standard for the C40’s so that may be why it is not listed but I can assure you that the Pixel technology is what you received. The active bending lights are only switched on in weak daylight or in darkness as well as when the stalk switch's rotating ring is in auto position. The car also needs to be in motion with the main beam or dipped beam activated.​

1 - 20 of 46 Posts