Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,171 Posts
However, we noticed a difference in the rating, as the C40 has EPA 5-cycle test results, while the XC40 has the EPA 2-cycle test results. We guess that the 5-cycle version of the two available tests translates to a slightly better range.
I think it's the opposite. The C40 should get noticeably better results because of its improved aero as compared to the XC40. I suspect the 5-cycle test is overall translating to a slightly lower range than would the 2-cycle.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I think it's the opposite. The C40 should get noticeably better results because of its improved aero as compared to the XC40. I suspect the 5-cycle test is overall translating to a slightly lower range than would the 2-cycle.
I understand that the more test cycles you opt to take, the higher the rating you'll end up with in the end (though that doesn't necessarily translate to reality...).

While the C40 does have a reduced drag coefficient, I don't believe it was drastic enough to result in significantly higher range... this seems to confirm that, but it's still not an apples to apples comparison without a 5-cycle XC40 test running the latest OTA.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't been able to read that entire document, but it appears to be related to manufacturing efficiency... Does it compare drag between the two vehicles? I do see that doc lists the C40 as 10 kg heavier than the XC40.

· Registered
2022 C40 Recharge
296 Posts
In that report, the "use phase emissions" are notably higher for the XC40 than the C40.
Which can only really be a function of decreased cost of charging - so as I see it
1) c40 charges more efficiently [faster] (I don't think this is the case, when both vehicles are charged using wind they both have near 0 use-phase)
2) c40 requires fewer charges - a function of increased range.

the lower carbon footprint of C40 Recharge compared with XC40 Recharge is mainly because of better aerodynamic properties of the C40 Recharge.
Are the EPA numbers done with the range optimizer on?

· Registered
2022 C40 Recharge
296 Posts
Something else to consider, the EPA range test fluctuates speed between 0-60. I bet enough of the test is done at low enough speeds that the C40's improved aero doesn't have much of an impact. It'll be neat to see when an XC40 and a C40 can move at something more like US highway speeds (70+) and the decreased drag coefficient of the C40 can actually be put to work

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.