Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have attached a YouTube video which speaks to the relationship between the XC40/C40 charging speed and battery charge percent. I have cued the video to the place where the narrator displays the graph. I found this fascinating and the only video where this issue is discussed. Thoughts?

· Registered
9 Posts
I've done some research on the C40 L2 (240 VAC) home charging, as this was my top pick for an EV purchase in 2022. What I found is there is very little advantage to buying a wall charger to charge this vehicle at home. This car comes with an onboard 11 kW L2 charger. At a nominal 240 VAC, this is approx 46A. However, the included L2 charge cable is rated only for 9.6kW (40 A). I confirmed this by looking at the nameplate on the cable when I took Polestar 2 and XC40 test drives.
So spending big $$$ for a wall charger will only net you an extra 6 A of charging current at the very most, that's it. For my driving pattern, very hard to justify the wall charger cost. This car will charge in around 8 hrs (78 kWh / 9.6 kW) just with the included cable, that's pretty good.
Thought I would share this with anyone who's got one on order, you might be able to avoid a wall charger purchase.

· Registered
2022 C40 Recharge
296 Posts
This has been discussed previously as well, Charging Cable Included versus ChargePoint (or other...

A lot of local utilities have incentives (mine is $500), and there's a US federal tax credit to help offset the cost as well so ultimately it's not terribly expensive. How to Claim Your Federal Tax Credit for Home Charging | ChargePoint

My utility actually has a special rate for my EV charger (I have a dedicated meter) that only EVSEs are eligible for. Between the $500 rebate, the tax credit, and expected savings from the time-of-use rate the EVSE basically pays for itself for me. YMMV?

· Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
536 Posts
I have cued the video to the place where the narrator displays the graph. I found this fascinating and the only video where this issue is discussed. Thoughts?
The discrete steps/drops in charging speed shown in that video is old. From what I gather, the C40 charging curve will likely be the same as the XC40 which has been improved in v1.7 like the Polestar 2. It is supposedly much smoother, but with the same overall downward trend which is needed to keep the battery safe.
(thread post with the new curve)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.