Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a C40 last night. I plugged it into my level 2 charger and it only charged 60% in 15 hours It charged from 27% to 87% in that time. I have used this charger with 2 other GM vehicles. The more recent one was a Bolt with a similar sized battery and it would charge the same amount in about 5 hours so I am thinking something could be wrong with the onboard charger.

Had anyone else experienced issues with slow charging on either their xc40 or c40 recharge?? My charger was installed 10 years ago when I bought a Chevy Volt and is a GM Voltec charger.

Also, on the way home I used a DC fast charger and at the pace it was going would have taken at least an hour to charge 80%.

thanks!

·
Registered
475 Posts
What Amperage is the car set at? I’m assuming the EVSE isn’t a smart one for you to monitor the specifics of the power going through it?

·
Registered
'22 C40 Fjord Blue in & out
126 Posts
By my reckoning that works out to about 12 A at 240 V. What EVSE were you using, how is it supplied with power and configured, and like Rousie13 asked, was the current limit on the car set?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car limit is at 48. The charger is a Voltec charger who also supplied GM's charging systems on Bolt/Volt I believe, and I have it hard-wired to my panel with a 50A breaker.

Right now the battery is charged, but I will pay closer attention to the charging rate display in the car the next time I have to recharge it. I remember when it was close to the 90% limit it showed '14/48'.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I would charge on another L2 EVSE to see what the car does. If the car charges fine, then it appears to be an EVSE issue. What is the max Amperage of the EVSE? Might be time for a new EVSE if it’s 10 years old.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes i was thinking the same - that maybe the charger is just old/incompatible, but it charged my Chevy bolt I had up until about 2 weeks ago 3x-4x faster. I will definitely try another level 2 if I can't figure it out.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Reboot your EVSE and see if that helps. We had some issues with our EVSE (cable not hardwired) and unplugging and replugging it fixed the issue. This only happened once, but never hiccuped again. But the old “reboot” fix was the trick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Car limit is at 48. The charger is a Voltec charger who also supplied GM's charging systems on Bolt/Volt I believe, and I have it hard-wired to my panel with a 50A breaker.

Right now the battery is charged, but I will pay closer attention to the charging rate display in the car the next time I have to recharge it. I remember when it was close to the 90% limit it showed '14/48'.
Optimum charging happens on the c40 between 20-80 %….after that the charging slows to 100%.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts