Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have attached a YouTube video where the narrator states how the C40 has AAOS with unlimited data. (Video queued to the approximate spot where the issue is mentioned.) I assume this feature is not unique to the C40 but is part of the latest version of AAOS.
I frequently drive in areas where Wi-Fi and Cell coverage is nonexistent. I like to listen to music via Spotify and audio books via Google Play Books. I assume both apps can be placed within AAOS. If there is also unlimited data, I would plan to download the music/books to the libraries within each app and enjoy the results?
Has anyone achieved this goal or plan to try this approach?

· Registered
9 Posts
I emailed Volvo about what the costs will be when the 4 year included "digital services package", as they call it, expires. They said they have not announced that yet. So when 4 years rolls by, expect an email asking for more money to keep the data connection active. I fully expect that if you don't pay, you will lose some Google related functionality (maps, assistant, play store, Volvo on call, OTA updates, etc.) What I'm concerned most about is whether voice commands, local maps and other info like this can be cached in the car, so as to be useful when no data connections are possible. I've not been able to find the answer to this anywhere.
Dave

· Registered
2022 C40 Recharge
296 Posts
This was covered in the XC40 forum at some point. All of the functionality can be accomplished by bluetooth tethering via your phone. You will lose the phone-free capabilities of the car, but it will use your phone's data. They'll probably offer some plan you can pay for, or you could get a SIM from your existing carrier and replace the SIM, or you could just tether from your phone.

· Registered
239 Posts
That was a very early review of the C40 and all the details weren't known. With my Lexus, when the data expired, I lost real time traffic updates, which i could still get using waze and apple carplay, so it wasn't a huge loss. Will be interesting to see what happens in 4 years after I get my C40.... If I ever get it, that is.. LOL

· Registered
2022 Blue Blue C40- Ordered 01-12-2022 - Picking up 2-7-2022- Driving Boston to LA.
16 Posts
I forgot to attach this to my post above, it's Volvo's summary of its digital services package.
That's really creepy. I read the agreement for each country and by paying for the service you get access to the wireless phone charger. It makes it sound that after your 4 years is up the wireless phone charger in the cubby will no longer work.

That sounds absolutely crazy.

In all EU countries and the US, the package consists of Google apps and services, which offer hands￾free help with Google Assistant, best-in-class navigation through Google Maps and a broad offer of
native in-car apps via Google Play. It also includes access to the Volvo On Call app and the wireless
phone charger. All data required for navigation, voice assistance and for downloading and running
any type of apps (e.g. music streaming), is included in the package.
In China, the package consists of AutoNavi AMAP navigation, Tmall Geni

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Circling back to this thread. Now that I have my C40, I have a couple questions.

I have finished loading my preferred apps from the Google Play Store. It looks like my audio books in the Google Play Books app are downloaded. Nice. Although I was hoping to download several Spotify playlists, that functionality does not appear in the auto version of Spotify. Other than the Spotify limitation, I have had no problems. So far, so good!

Has anyone spent time downloading files? If so, have you encountered any limitations or problems?

· Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spent some time reviewing the Storage section within the C40 System. I guess with our "unlimited data" we should not be concerned as seen below. Do other owners have a lot more data? What is in your "Files" section?

Mobile phone Communication Device Portable communications device Gesture Telephony

· Registered
'21 XC40 P8 Ultimate & '21 Polestar 2 (the wife's)
47 Posts
Really hoping Volvo and AAOS get it right and make it possible to play music (to include playlists and all) from the USB ports. Also, the usual and popular mobile apps. I don't really like streaming via BT from my cellphone as I like to keep it "free" while driving, but not really being able to save/download music files and books to a drive on the car is a pain.

I ended up finding an old Android/Galaxy Tab E laying around the house and I put my books and music on that and leave it in the car for streaming via BT. The issue I have with that is if I now want to play audio from my phone, I have to change a setting on the head unit to connect audio from phone.

In my GMC Truck and my wife's Audi, the switch was either automatic or you could have both options available at the same time.

· Registered
403 Posts
I just checked our '22 XC40, it shows 36GB of storage, so maybe just a difference between '21 &'22 models?

That said, when do you ever hear of memory decreasing in newer models of just about any electronic device?

· Registered
2022 Volvo C40
32 Posts
I emailed Volvo about what the costs will be when the 4 year included "digital services package", as they call it, expires. They said they have not announced that yet. So when 4 years rolls by, expect an email asking for more money to keep the data connection active. I fully expect that if you don't pay, you will lose some Google related functionality (maps, assistant, play store, Volvo on call, OTA updates, etc.) What I'm concerned most about is whether voice commands, local maps and other info like this can be cached in the car, so as to be useful when no data connections are possible. I've not been able to find the answer to this anywhere.
Dave
with LTE being older tech… the data costs should be minimal.

or maybe VOVLO will decide to pick it up for us again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.