Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Lease

Votes: 3 37.5%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently with Costco discounts and rebates, I have two options. Lease the car with a great sell price (let’s say 20 percent below MSRP after all the rebates baked in the lease, etc), but money factor is rather high coming to over 5 percent interest. Maybe I can negotiate that down to market MF, which according to edmunds is like 4.3 percent. RV you can’t really negotiate, it’s set at 52 percent.

OR buy the car, still get pretty much the same great sell price after I file my taxes next year. And take advantage of their 0.99 percent apr. I can simply sell the car after warranty expires or even if I sell it after 3 years, I think I can beat the lease deal. Question is if I can get 52 percent RV after 3 years in the free market. That’s my big concern.

Never bought a Volvo, I know this first generation EV has software glitches etc, but in 3 years will this car be a paper weight because EV will evolve so much? If the car’s residual tanks after 3 years, then I’m better going the lease route, at least they guarantee 52 percent RV.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I bought, but voted lease as a recommendation for any new platform gen 1 technology and car combined. If you are willing to hold this for the long and be a beta tester, then buy. If you want a fun to drive higher end that does not start with T nor break the bank then lease it and in 3 years the EV choices will be plentiful. I bought on faith that this was not as half baked as it was, but I do enjoy driving it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought, but voted lease as a recommendation for any new platform gen 1 technology and car combined. If you are willing to hold this for the long and be a beta tester, then buy. If you want a fun to drive higher end that does not start with T nor break the bank then lease it and in 3 years the EV choices will be plentiful. I bought on faith that this was not as half baked as it was, but I do enjoy driving it.
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunate to hear all these glitches and software issues. It’s secretly a great performance vehicle. With electric vehicles rapidly shifting, I guess it is safer to lease even with losing several thousands compared to finance with the trade off for the peace of mind in case residual value tanks more than expected assuming I sell after warranty expires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lease, all day long, you are the beta tester as we've seen here from several dozen beta testers. Got the Costco deal and was able to talk to a dealership into a few grand off that and thus reduced payments as they had over a dozen P8 on the lot and none moving (sales said due to the low range, maybe?)

in 36 months we'll see all the bugs worked out that may still be in the 2021 models out now, and expected increase range! "sell it after 3 years " go check out other first run EVs and the drastic drop in pricing on a used model. Even Volvo expects my 61k model to be work around half that in 3 years for the lease buy out!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a 24 month lease. I think the battery tech would get improved over the following years, so it does not make sense to keep the car for too long. And the 208 mile range is not that decent. So I think the residual value will definitely drop quickly. Since you already mentioned RV, leasing would be the best choice.

Bottom line is, if the RV does not drop that deep, then you still can decide to either choose to buy it out, or buy a new one (because it's proved to be holding value), or see if there's any other choices in the market at that time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts