Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the Volvo site just now and it appears that there is no longer a "build" option for the XC40 Recharge. Clicking on the "Shop" button takes you to the list of cars available for reservation. But the option to custom build a car is missing on the page and I haven't yet seen it elsewhere on the site.

Wonder what that means?

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
209 Posts
It disappeared a few days ago and then came back. Maybe they're running out of build spots for the current version. Supposedly a refresh is on the way, but it's not clear if it'll be for 2023 or some sort of mid-2022 update.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Purely IMHO, the Volvo website is built by a bunch of hairy sandal wearing school drop outs living in their mother's basement 😃 The change control and roll out are about as amateur as you can get. For instance my twin recharge offered lifetime maintenance when I hit the submit button. After I bought it, I emailed Customer support as there were no detailss in the paperwork ( also nothing on the EA 250KW etc.) , to be told it was a bit of mistake and would be rectified. I called bait and switch and they politely told me to go pound sand. Their website is constantly breaking and in flux. It even offered two cars in San Diego and Bakersfield that I was prepared to fly down to buy, only to be told they were not for sale, and should not be on the website as they were demonstrators for the new online purchase model, but corporate is still working things out.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Volvo logistics and web site is a mess. I ordered my C40 on Oct. 9, got a confirmation that had no details in it, but Volvo rep emailed me confirming my Fjord Blue order. No details on we store as to how my car is configured or the price. I was told last week it will be built in early December and should arrive late Jan, early Feb. I ask for them to provide the actual specs no price and the answer I got was the car will be Fusion armed and everything else the dealer will get. I said WTF about Red and they said too late to change. I sent them the email they sent me on Oct. 12 confirming Fjord Blue and they seem baffled and just say they can submit new build order,I said wait and go to the back of the line? I said fix it or cancel it. Tough to see what the future holds for Volvo with a push to online ordering and then bushy AAOS.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Volvo logistics and web site is a mess. I ordered my C40 on Oct. 9, got a confirmation that had no details in it, but Volvo rep emailed me confirming my Fjord Blue order. No details on we store as to how my car is configured or the price. I was told last week it will be built in early December and should arrive late Jan, early Feb. I ask for them to provide the actual specs no price and the answer I got was the car will be Fusion armed and everything else the dealer will get. I said WTF about Red and they said too late to change. I sent them the email they sent me on Oct. 12 confirming Fjord Blue and they seem baffled and just say they can submit new build order,I said wait and go to the back of the line? I said fix it or cancel it. Tough to see what the future holds for Volvo with a push to online ordering and then bushy AAOS.
Wow!!! That’s messed up!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Let’s hope they fix it. Wife actually thinks it is an omen. We replaced her T5 with a red P8 and she wants my blue P8, but I am still discussing submitting lemon law on it and get the C40 instead. She says to just cancel the C40 and keep the blue P8, which she will take and give me the red P8.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Ha, one could only wish. I don’t see a new pad for at least 6 months, probably longer. They need to determine the formula, test them and then have their OEM make them. I would be surprised if they show up before 2023. Dealer told me a while back the XC90 had a brake issue and he mentioned it took a year or 2 to resolve it. Clearly Volvo does not understand brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not sure it ever fully disappeared, but rather got a little bit hidden. I actually placed my order in the online system Monday evening & I had to do a little hunting. I then informed my dealership of choice that it was complete (after they had tried to hunt down what I wanted over the phone earlier in the afternoon) & they responded they would take it from here (they've been awesome). The build option used to be right on all dealerships websites, but I had to go to the Volvo USA site to find it. Got an email from Volvo yesterday & confirmed. With EVERY communication I'm being specific to put the full build in & apparently it's necessary! Have no info on lead time other than the standard 5 months, but the dealership is also keeping an eye on inventory for me in case something comes in sooner.

Off topic, but does anyone have any sense of how close the Recharge is to the threshold for dropping the federal tax credit? Doesn't seem to be any way to get this info...but I'm not sure I'd move forward if this was off the table.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
201 Posts
Ha, one could only wish. I don’t see a new pad for at least 6 months, probably longer. They need to determine the formula, test them and then have their OEM make them. I would be surprised if they show up before 2023. Dealer told me a while back the XC90 had a brake issue and he mentioned it took a year or 2 to resolve it. Clearly Volvo does not understand brakes.
Oh they do understand them. Volvo is not producing their breaks. Perhaps Volvo made the design for two or three months but to put everything in production with the new one takes enormous amount of time. Dealing with manufactures and contractors....could be very frustrating. Even if Volvo is producing their own breaks, mass production manufacturer will never change the design just for something specific. They will look for all. Yes, they want to make cheaper, high quality product and that is all of them but ultimately no matter where the production lines are (Europe, China, Madagascar or Antarctica) the quality will always cost the same. Only difference is the tax incentives and the tax breaks they can get at the designated places.
Example:
Volvo wants a break pad, that should have these and that requirement and specifications. They put the enquiries to the manufactures, and not just any manufacturer but the one that can deliver the amount and the quality and has good track record. Then the will get the answer - yep metallic break pads are perfect for what are you asking for price vs quality. We can make them. Then they discover they are sticky when pressed against the rotor under specific circumstances. Ceramic is better and.... more expensive, and requires possibly new manufacturer, new contracts, new deals. They will change it but is not going to happen on our models and years not even on 2023 models, perhaps 2024 models.

Ultimately the client is always right and that very often is wrong but "this is the way".

·
Premium Member
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
261 Posts
Purely IMHO, the Volvo website is built by a bunch of hairy sandal wearing school drop outs living in their mother's basement 😃 The change control and roll out are about as amateur as you can get.
The structure of the website is so chaotic. Although the website is purportedly structured by region, hyperlinking takes one from region to region on a given topic. Content on the same subject varies from region to region. It’s difficult to tell what is authoritative or current. If it was ever diagrammed it would look like a spiderweb on acid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts