Volvo XC40 Forum banner
601 - 620 of 626 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,019 Posts
The pads are always lightly engaged while braking even with regen. Whether it is enough to do anything to prevent the brakes from sticking is the question. Both our XC40 (2500mi and 7 month) and my C40 (3 months and 1300mi) got Powerstop at time of delivery and both have been great. The pad will stick on occasion if we wash and park, but they let go and no thumping or damage. Volvo offered to put the new pads on when they came out and I said I will stick with the Powerstop pads. In the US they were like $65USD which was minor investment for piece of mind.
Thanks! I ordered the Power Stop pads and will pick up when we're visiting the USA in a couple months. If the dealer solution isn't fixing the problem, at least I'll have a back-up option!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thanks! I ordered the Power Stop pads and will pick up when we're visiting the USA in a couple months. If the dealer solution isn't fixing the problem, at least I'll have a back-up option!
Mine were done 2 weeks ago and so far so good 👍
Also ask your dealer to look into the accelerator pedal decal as well. They might need to other the parts.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Mine were done 2 weeks ago and so far so good 👍
Also ask your dealer to look into the accelerator pedal decal as well. They might need to other the parts.
Good news! I don't think we have the accelerator/wiring recall yet down here Australia...hopefully it won't affect our Luqiao-built cars, but who knows?

·
Registered
500 Posts
My C40 was in for service today. Keep in mind, my C40 has only 1,592 miles and is only 8 weeks old. Based on the knowledge gained from this thread, I suspected the rear brakes were sticking. I referenced a Volvo Service Bulletin, "STICKY - REAR BRAKE PADS TJ36169.2.0-2022-03-14, during my description of the problem. I had to endure a condescending service advisor who clearly does not like his job or does not like EVs. He had to tell me three times that the service bulletin does not apply to my C40. However, I persevered and proved him wrong. As a result, now I have new rotors and new pads. I know this will not solve the inherent poor design of the OEM pads, but I will savor today as a win for gaining knowledge from our Forum. A special big thank you to He Keith for helping me understand the issue. (I do hope a set of Power Stop ceramic brakes pads are in my future, but not today.)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My C40 was in for service today. Keep in mind, my C40 has only 1,592 miles and is only 8 weeks old. Based on the knowledge gained from this thread, I suspected the rear brakes were sticking. I referenced a Volvo Service Bulletin, "STICKY - REAR BRAKE PADS TJ36169.2.0-2022-03-14, during my description of the problem. I had to endure a condescending service advisor who clearly does not like his job or does not like EVs. He had to tell me three times that the service bulletin does not apply to my C40. However, I persevered and proved him wrong. As a result, now I have new rotors and new pads. I know this will not solve the inherent poor design of the OEM pads, but I will savor today as a win for gaining knowledge from our Forum. A special big thank you to He Keith for helping me understand the issue. (I do hope a set of Power Stop ceramic brakes pads are in my future, but not today.)
Thanks for re-posting that service bulletin number. I'll take that with me next Thurs when I take ours in for the brake issue. The thumping is pretty bad on ours now, although it doesn't seem to be sticking any more? I'm going to ask them whether I can see some pics or take pics of the rotors and pads as apparently there are some Polestar 2 owners here in Australia who are having the same issue now and they were asking what it looks like. I explained that on my car I can't see anything on the outer disc surface, so it must be on the inner disc/pad and you can't see in there because of the backing plate/shield.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks for re-posting that service bulletin number. I'll take that with me next Thurs when I take ours in for the brake issue. The thumping is pretty bad on ours now, although it doesn't seem to be sticking any more? I'm going to ask them whether I can see some pics or take pics of the rotors and pads as apparently there are some Polestar 2 owners here in Australia who are having the same issue now and they were asking what it looks like. I explained that on my car I can't see anything on the outer disc surface, so it must be on the inner disc/pad and you can't see in there because of the backing plate/shield.
I am glad to hear my post above was helpful. I now have two encounters with two different Volvo service departments, and I am beginning to see a pattern. The service personnel I have encountered do not possess a wealth of experience with EVs. They also are cautious when processing warranty related concerns. The owner who can reference an existing Volvo Service Bulletin or Service Campaign or Recall Notice should have an easier time. Also, since the number of C40s in owners’ possession is much smaller than the number of XC40s, the Service Bulletins may not yet include the C40s. That should not discourage the C40 owner from having a conversation with service personnel when they discover an XC40 specific Service Bulletin. My recommendation to any Volvo EV owner (both XC40 and C40) is to reference the Volvo Car Bookstore (see link below) and more specifically the section entitled Parts and Service Literature whenever you suspect a problem. Realize the “What’s New” section is constantly changing. I review both the “What’s New” and the “Service Parts Literature, for both C40BEV and XC40BEV” monthly and more often as needed. So far that process has served me well.

Volvo Car Bookstore (volvotechinfo.com)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I am glad to hear my post above was helpful. I now have two encounters with two different Volvo service departments, and I am beginning to see a pattern. The service personnel I have encountered do not possess a wealth of experience with EVs. They also are cautious when processing warranty related concerns. The owner who can reference an existing Volvo Service Bulletin or Service Campaign or Recall Notice should have an easier time. Also, since the number of C40s in owners’ possession is much smaller than the number of XC40s, the Service Bulletins may not yet include the C40s. That should not discourage the C40 owner from having a conversation with service personnel when they discover an XC40 specific Service Bulletin. My recommendation to any Volvo EV owner (both XC40 and C40) is to reference the Volvo Car Bookstore (see link below) and more specifically the section entitled Parts and Service Literature whenever you suspect a problem. Realize the “What’s New” section is constantly changing. I review both the “What’s New” and the “Service Parts Literature, for both C40BEV and XC40BEV” monthly and more often as needed. So far that process has served me well.

Volvo Car Bookstore (volvotechinfo.com)
Odd, I tried the link and got Error: Access denied...maybe can't access it from a non USA ip address?

• Wow
Reactions: BuzzyBud

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Have switched to a new/modified way to clean brakes. Takes a little getting used to but easy once used to it.

Rolling opd ON neutral braking.

While Driving along at higher speed on flat or down hill.

Press the brake pedal (yes there is added decel as you do this from opd) quickly flip the car into neutral and release brake. Make sure everything is safe then brake away cleaning of the pads.

This should only be done when nobody is behind you / braking is safe.

The opd decel is minimal if you get into NEUTRAL quickly.

Be careful not to go into reverse (is this even possible at speed … I was very careful to not test this).

Have done this opd brake pedal neutral braking for the last 2 days and it is real easy to get into.

How this helps

Cheers

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
It's also easy to clean the brakes on a flat road, but I recommend turning off OPD before attempting it.
I was doing it with opd off. But can do it on a flat road with opd on if your efficient but yeah probably safer to turn opd off.

Reactions: BuzzyBud

·
Registered
2023 Volvo XC 40 Recharge on order
8 Posts
I was talking with a co-worker, who said "time to switch to stainless steel". This got me curious, so I did a little reading. It sounds like SS rotors are available, but not ideal for brake rotors. Iron rotors have better braking characteristics and handle heat dissipation better.

But I wonder, since our cars use regen for the majority of stopping duties, whether SS rotors make sense.

Idle thoughts....
Ceramic Pads would probably solve this issue…

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have switched to a new/modified way to clean brakes. Takes a little getting used to but easy once used to it.

Rolling opd ON neutral braking.

While Driving along at higher speed on flat or down hill.

Press the brake pedal (yes there is added decel as you do this from opd) quickly flip the car into neutral and release brake. Make sure everything is safe then brake away cleaning of the pads.

This should only be done when nobody is behind you / braking is safe.

The opd decel is minimal if you get into NEUTRAL quickly.

Be careful not to go into reverse (is this even possible at speed … I was very careful to not test this).

Have done this opd brake pedal neutral braking for the last 2 days and it is real easy to get into.

How this helps

Cheers
Good tip, thank you!

Perhaps not so useful, but havent seen it mentioned elsewhere: an interesting thing I have noticed is that braking and auto braking done in off-road mode seems to be all mechanical. Have a pretty steep tractor trail hill that I need to descend to our cabin and it seems to clean them somewhat at least, but I'm sure higher speeds and more friction is even better. Also, since its off road mode I'm guessing braking is distributed across the front and back more evenly to ensure optimal traction then under normal light braking.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Good tip, thank you!

Perhaps not so useful, but havent seen it mentioned elsewhere: an interesting thing I have noticed is that braking and auto braking done in off-road mode seems to be all mechanical. Have a pretty steep tractor trail hill that I need to descend to our cabin and it seems to clean them somewhat at least, but I'm sure higher speeds and more friction is even better. Also, since its off road mode I'm guessing braking is distributed across the front and back more evenly to ensure optimal traction then under normal light braking.
How well does going up that trail compare to other cars you have had? Sometimes Margo likes to get her red pumps dirty :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
How well does going up that trail compare to other cars you have had? Sometimes Margo likes to get her red pumps dirty :)
While I havent owned all of these, I've driven them up the same hill: XC60 (2017), Mazda CX-3 (2015ish), Honda HRV (2010ish), RAV4 (2002ish), BMW X3 (2013), BMW X5 (2017).

They were all capable and got up the hill with little issue under normal conditions, but it seems like the XC40 has way less wheel spin in the more demanding parts. Sort of backed up by the fact the I usually do some yearly maintenance on the hill, but havent needed to this year - which I chalk up to it not digging in and shuffling material around as much.

Go get Margos 19'' pumps dirty :D

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
While I havent owned all of these, I've driven them up the same hill: XC60 (2017), Mazda CX-3 (2015ish), Honda HRV (2010ish), RAV4 (2002ish), BMW X3 (2013), BMW X5 (2017).

They were all capable and got up the hill with little issue under normal conditions, but it seems like the XC40 has way less wheel spin in the more demanding parts. Sort of backed up by the fact the I usually do some yearly maintenance on the hill, but havent needed to this year - which I chalk up to it not digging in and shuffling material around as much.

Go get Margos 19'' pumps dirty :D
Oh I have gotten them dirty.
I love off road mode. The way it changes the accel mapping is nice.

I think driving without of road mode is the same as with if you are really careful. Off road mode dumbs it down.

Reactions: magnus87

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Finally have our car at the dealer for the brakes issue. It happened about 3 times total...the last time it was the worst, and when I applied the brakes firmly I got a lot of vibration through the rear end of the car. Of course that was about 2 months and 3000 km ago, so the brakes are nice and smooth now. I figured the dealer would say "no problem found" but I got a call this afternoon saying "we need to elevate this to Volvo Australia" as apparently they've never seen it before. She didn't say exactly what they found but it must be obvious damage to the pads upon inspection. We'll see. Hopefully it won't delay repairs as I'd much rather be swooshing around in the P8 than the loaner XC40 T4. Maybe I can get them to share pics of the brakes with me...if so I'll post here for reference.

601 - 620 of 626 Posts