Volvo XC40 Forum banner
561 - 580 of 586 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
641 Posts
Nope. Your pads are quite likely damaged and need to be replaced.
Yes, guys (and gals) - I do plan to contact the dealer and at minimum have pads replaced. Just wishing it away isn’t going to fix it obviously but yeah, not happy about it! Will ring dealer and make sure they know what to do before I take it in as it’s a 110 km trip each way to dealer and I don’t want to have them say they have to order parts and bring it back again in a month when they come in! Will be interesting to see if they are aware of the issue or not yet. Hopefully they can look up the TSB (anyone have the number?)

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Is why I always drive my car a little after washing. And now do the neutral down hill clean method vs the old p brake method.

Reactions: houkura

·
Registered
705 Posts
Anyone with replaced pads and rotors, do you mind posting photos what they look like right now after some regular use? I have a feeling I might need to bring my car to the dealer to have them hopefully replaced. Appointments are hard to find.

Thanks in advance (y)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Anyone with replaced pads and rotors, do you mind posting photos what they look like right now after some regular use? I have a feeling I might need to bring my car to the dealer to have them hopefully replaced. Appointments are hard to find.

Thanks in advance (y)
Just pads were replaced when I had this done last month. Rotors will show rust no matter what sometimes.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Gave it a bath today. Here’s how the rear disks are looking. Are those “grooves” normal?

Wheel Automotive tire Hubcap Automotive design Alloy wheel

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Non pun intended but yours is a lot more groovy than mine.

Is there a hill nearby? If so go to the top. Our car in neutral. Run down hill and bake gently. Probably will make no difference as that treatment is designed to remove rust but I would love to see the after that just in case.

I will take a picture of my cars brakes. She is 1 year old come May 11th and has 6000 Miles on her I think.

This is mine in March
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
705 Posts
Non pun intended but yours is a lot more groovy than mine.

Is there a hill nearby? If so go to the top. Our car in neutral. Run down hill and bake gently. Probably will make no difference as that treatment is designed to remove rust but I would love to see the after that just in case.

I will take a picture of my cars brakes. She is 1 year old come May 11th and has 6000 Miles on her I think.

This is mine in March
View attachment 3541
View attachment 3542
My front pads look like yours. The rear ones are the groovy (but not groooooovy) ones.
I do the neutral or the roller coaster one to keep them clean.
Roller coaster = turn off OPD, pedal to the metal then break hard. Do that back to back 3 to 4 times. Kids love it.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Ha. I used to do the riolercoaster but family and the dog hate it that and I keep waiting for a cop to see me and pull me over. As that is alas a direct risk to life I don’t do that any more. Now I do the neutral method.

Mm now I am doubting which wheels they were in the picture. Will make sure I do the rear brakes tonight. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mine look that bad, maybe worse. My 2016 xc90 phev is groovy too. Also there is a band of rust around the outer edge. All of our electrified cars (volt, bolt, xc90 phev, xc40 EV) have these issues (not enough friction braking combined with corrosive salt spread on the roads for half the year).

·
Registered
705 Posts
View attachment 3570
As promised but a day late. My rear disc brake.i think it looks quite good for a year old living in Seattle rain :)
Wow. Mine do look like **** compared to yours?
I have never heard mine sticking but the grooves do look bad. I’m afraid if I bring it to the shop they might not replace them.

·
Registered
White P8 aka ORKA * OTA V2.0 * MFD 1/21 * 20" ride.
926 Posts
Omg with all these PICS of grooviness......now I need to go to Parking Lot to take pics and see !
Yeah, the rear pads and rotors were replaces within 2 weeks of ownership back in May last year. I haven't looked lately, so now darn curious to take the pics and compare !

·
Registered
White P8 aka ORKA * OTA V2.0 * MFD 1/21 * 20" ride.
926 Posts
Omg with all these PICS of grooviness......now I need to go to Parking Lot to take pics and see !
Yeah, the rear pads and rotors were replaces within 2 weeks of ownership back in May last year. I haven't looked lately, so now darn curious to take the pics and compare !

** This is a year after the rear pads and rotors were replaced 2 weeks after ownership last May. I think it's holding up, but as a good practice, best to check every so often. Had a super mild winter and I didn't encounter much heavy rain driving either. I DO make it a habit to drive the car for errands after each wash since being traumatized the first time!

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Automotive design Synthetic rubber
Automotive tire Tread Automotive design Synthetic rubber Tire

Automotive tire Rim Tints and shades Automotive wheel system Automotive design
Automotive tire Wood Automotive exhaust Audio equipment Tints and shades

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Do it. Take the pictures. . .

561 - 580 of 586 Posts