Volvo XC40 Forum banner
541 - 560 of 586 Posts

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
My guess is they are determined to keep a metallic content as it will be less wear on the rotors and grippier. I will say the ceramics are a very tad soft first 100 miles or so as they break in, but they are every bit as good as OE or better.
Nothing says wear like a big loud thunk. Glad Margo has not shared this experience with me. :)

You are probably right. Bean counters and all.

Reactions: houkura

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I must say I have fallen in love with the wife’s Fusion Red more so than my old Bursting Blue. I almost wish I took the accidental Fusion Red C40 they had in the system for me, but Fjord Blue is also an awesome color.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I must say I have fallen in love with the wife’s Fusion Red more so than my old Bursting Blue. I almost wish I took the accidental Fusion Red C40 they had in the system for me, but Fjord Blue is also an awesome color.
Think of it this way, you will get to enjoy both colors 🙂

·
Registered
705 Posts
I looked last night and did notice some rusted lines on the rear rotors. Turned OPD off and cleaned them as much as I could.
Most of the rust went away but there were still some rust rings left. There was no evidence of the pads sticking.
Should I bring it to the shop? My concern is more the rotors than the pads.
Part of me is ok with the way they look but part of me thinks it shouldn’t.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I looked last night and did notice some rusted lines on the rear rotors. Turned OPD off and cleaned them as much as I could.
Most of the rust went away but there were still some rust rings left. There was no evidence of the pads sticking.
You don’t have to turn off opd to clean them … infact you need to brake just as hard with non opd as opd to cause mechanical cleaning.

·
Registered
705 Posts
You don’t have to turn off opd to clean them … infact you need to brake just as hard with non opd as opd to cause mechanical cleaning.
I thought about cleaning them with OPD enabled but they were quite dirty.
But you’re right, it shouldn’t make any difference. My concern is still the rust rings left.

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
647 Posts
IF there are some rust rings left after braking I think it would indicate that there are some minor grooves in the rotors - probably not an issue - but if they get too deep I would bring it in for inspection and possible replacement.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It’s pretty common to have rust rings on rotors-I’ve seen it on many different cars-I don’t think it’s indicative of a problem. It could be but not always.

·
Registered
246 Posts
All of our ev and phev have horrible looking rotors. We drive conservatively and brake gently. The volt was not awful. The bolt was ok on the outside, but the inside surface of the rotors was so bad (after two years) that it almost failed state vehicle inspection. Xc90...rears are rusty with some pitting, front rotors were replaced after 4 years 26k miles because of too much rust (failed inspection). I now take them out at least once per month for some serious braking (multiple 60+ to 30+ braking applications until they get nice and toasty). VW has the right idea with drum brakes on the back.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
All of our ev and phev have horrible looking rotors. We drive conservatively and brake gently. The volt was not awful. The bolt was ok on the outside, but the inside surface of the rotors was so bad (after two years) that it almost failed state vehicle inspection. Xc90...rears are rusty with some pitting, front rotors were replaced after 4 years 26k miles because of too much rust (failed inspection). I now take them out at least once per month for some serious braking (multiple 60+ to 30+ braking applications until they get nice and toasty). VW has the right idea with drum brakes on the back.
40 to 0 is as effective i have not done it for a while as dog or spouses have been in the car and they do not like it :)

Next time I am alone I will do a single 40 to 0 to see if one will get them clean. Will do before and after pictures :)

Still waiting for someone to call the cops on the person braking hard for no reason. . .

·
Registered
218 Posts
While in neutral, the P8 only uses friction braking.

Near my home there is a downhill stretch where I kick it into neutral, and brake up to the stop sign. Rotors are clean and dry when I pull into the garage.

Reactions: SAP

·
Registered
3,359 Posts

Near my home there is a downhill stretch where I kick it into neutral, and brake up to the stop sign. Rotors are clean and dry when I pull into the garage.
Oooh nice one. I know what I will be doing soon :)

Reactions: houkura

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge Plus w/Climate and 20" Wheels V1.8 OTA (Stone Black)
22 Posts
Your rear brake pads are possibly damaged if you went thru that stuck-CLUNK-grind cycle. This isn’t normal - it’s defective brake pads. Call your dealer and schedule an appointment. Remind them there’s a brand-new Technical Service Bulletin from Volvo that covers this issue.
They replaced my brakes!

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge Plus w/Climate and 20" Wheels V1.8 OTA (Stone Black)
22 Posts

Good to know! I'll start doing that on the hills around here.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts

Did it tonight !!! Nice find and I can do it as I’d do with spouse and the dog in the car :)

Cheers

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
641 Posts
Sadly we experienced the stuck rear brakes issue today. Two loud pops as the rear brake pads came unstuck then "thump-thump-thump" so obviously a chunk of pad must have gotten stuck to the rotor. ****! I had washed the car and parked it in the garage where it sat for 3 days...guess we'll wait and see how it goes but sounds like we'll need to make a trip to the dealer eventually. I had hoped somehow the 2022 China-built cars here in Australia would somehow be immune... wishful thinking.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Sadly we experienced the stuck rear brakes issue today. Two loud pops as the rear brake pads came unstuck then "thump-thump-thump" so obviously a chunk of pad must have gotten stuck to the rotor. ****! I had washed the car and parked it in the garage where it sat for 3 days...guess we'll wait and see how it goes but sounds like we'll need to make a trip to the dealer eventually. I had hoped somehow the 2022 China-built cars here in Australia would somehow be immune... wishful thinking.
‘You have 3 choices, have them replace pads/rotors with same, have them replace pads with the new TSB pads which still are metallic, just less metal, or put OEM ceramic pads in. I would talk to dealer before you bring it in to see what they are willing to do.

Reactions: Greg S

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
641 Posts
‘You have 3 choices, have them replace pads/rotors with same, have them replace pads with the new TSB pads which still are metallic, just less metal, or put OEM ceramic pads in. I would talk to dealer before you bring it in to see what they are willing to do.
Thanks...yes definitely will discuss with dealer before I take it in. Maybe if I do nothing it will go away. ☹

541 - 560 of 586 Posts