Volvo XC40 Forum banner
421 - 440 of 455 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
What software version does the new Fusion Red P8 show? Bgarlow on another thread just rec'd a dealer update and his software version now shows 1.8 - perhaps there is a new update coming OTA soon - be interesting to see if you new p8 has the 1.8 and what changes/additions it has.
The car I picked up this week has 1.7

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
What software version does the new Fusion Red P8 show? Bgarlow on another thread just rec'd a dealer update and his software version now shows 1.8 - perhaps there is a new update coming OTA soon - be interesting to see if you new p8 has the 1.8 and what changes/additions it has.
Changes additions and the most important category …. New bugs :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry I only read about half of these post before posting this, so there may have been an answer to this issue that I didn't see. I washed our new 2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge for the first time yesterday, and pulled it back into the garage without driving it. When I came out this morning the pads were stuck to the rotors. We have very hard water here, and I'm wondering if the hard water isn't causing the pads to rust to the rotors over night. I have a water de-ionization car wash system that removes impurities from the water, so I'm going give that a try the next time I wash and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
It is not the water. It is a bad pad formula. Seems Polestar 2 folks are seeing this low as well. If the brakes grind after sticking then the pads had separated and need to be replaced. It will likely happen again. First thing I would do is file complaint to NHTSA that this is a brake failure and safety concern with life threatening concerns.
Next is make sure you contact Volvo customer service and file a concern. They will tell you to take it to the dealer and track it.

You have 2 options, have them repair it no it will likely happen again. Or as I finally did, I purchased ceramic pads and had dealer put them on. I did this after numerous visits, 3 sets of pads and rotors and I could file lemon law (and still may),but dealer and Volvo rep have been taking care of me. My car was out of service 36 days, they comped me 2 monthly payments. Volvo promised me they will swap out my pads for new pads when they get a new design.

We love the car and actually purchased a 22 P8 as well and I had dealer put on the ceramic pads before I took the car home.

I would not be surprised if at some point they authorize the third party pads for the worst issues as this is happening more and more now. Someone on the Polestar found just posted pictures of how pad his pads were.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is not the water. It is a bad pad formula. Seems Polestar 2 folks are seeing this low as well. If the brakes grind after sticking then the pads had separated and need to be replaced. It will likely happen again. First thing I would do is file complaint to NHTSA that this is a brake failure and safety concern with life threatening concerns.
Next is make sure you contact Volvo customer service and file a concern. They will tell you to take it to the dealer and track it.

You have 2 options, have them repair it no it will likely happen again. Or as I finally did, I purchased ceramic pads and had dealer put them on. I did this after numerous visits, 3 sets of pads and rotors and I could file lemon law (and still may),but dealer and Volvo rep have been taking care of me. My car was out of service 36 days, they comped me 2 monthly payments. Volvo promised me they will swap out my pads for new pads when they get a new design.

We love the car and actually purchased a 22 P8 as well and I had dealer put on the ceramic pads before I took the car home.

I would not be surprised if at some point they authorize the third party pads for the worst issues as this is happening more and more now. Someone on the Polestar found just posted pictures of how pad his pads were.
Thanks for posting this reply. I have a C40 on order, but may cancel after this. If it happens again, I'll go with the ceramic brakes and have them put it on. Where did you purchase the pads?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Thanks for posting this reply. I have a C40 on order, but may cancel after this. If it happens again, I'll go with the ceramic brakes and have them put it on. Where did you purchase the pads?
First set I got from Walmart, but out of stock. This pair I got from Autozone. Ironically neither stocks them they just have them drop shipped direct from Powerstop. I suspect there will be a run on these pads soon, order quickly.
Power Stop Performance Brake Pads Z36-1821

I also have a C40 on order and may order a set of pads to hold for a while just in case I get the C40, good $65 insurance policy.

Reactions: improvius

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have not hard braked at all. I will say first week or so they feel a tad softer than usual (as they bed), but then they seem fine. Since most braking is done by the fronts and regen I am not overly concerned.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
You can also choose to drive for 3 minutes and brake from 40 to stop a couple of times. I know it seems silly to have to do it but it is another temporary solution.

I wonder how similar nomad and hekeiths water is.

And also I wonder how the water is in Sweden?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The brakes actually say to bed them that way 4-5 stop form 40 in rapid succession. I did not bother since the fronts would take the brunt of that.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
On a different tac are. It ceramic pads better for the environment? Which would make them a win win if Volvo replaced using them ?

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
238 Posts
I put our car away wet the other day...I noticed today when checking tyre pressure all the rotors looked pretty clean except left rear...it seemed to have some light rust on about the outer 1/3 of the disc surface but inner 2/3 you could see where the brake pad has rubbed off the rust...I’m surprised it’s so uneven, but haven’t heard any noises so far really.

·
Registered
22 Posts
On a different tac are. It ceramic pads better for the environment? Which would make them a win win if Volvo replaced using them ?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe ceramic is better than metallic pads in that there is less/no dust build up on the rims, so should be better for the environment. For racing/track use I believe they also stop better once they've been heated up, but on an xc40 that rarely uses the pads on the street the metalics would stop better. If these are only going on the rear brakes then stopping distance should be minimally affected.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The big ding on ceramics is they tend to not be as trippy when cold.When I bought my Audi A6 in 2013 as soon as the car arrived I put Akebono ceramic pads on because I hate the way EU brakes dust. I did not even they were not as grippy initially, but I never had any issue stopping. A panic stop the ABS is likely going to kick in as the wheels lock up anyway. All marketing BS I am sure, and a very vague statement, but Powerstop say they are 17% more stopping power. Not sure how they measure that since that line of pads is used on so many different cars/trucks.

And again, in our case regen no the fronts are doing the bulk of the braking so I m really not concerned about ceramics in the rear. Clearly VW knows that as well since they went drums on the rear and drums are not as performant as discs. Volvo probably over spec’ed the rears anyway.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I put our car away wet the other day...I noticed today when checking tyre pressure all the rotors looked pretty clean except left rear...it seemed to have some light rust on about the outer 1/3 of the disc surface but inner 2/3 you could see where the brake pad has rubbed off the rust...I’m surprised it’s so uneven, but haven’t heard any noises so far really.
Your pads are likely fine. I would still report it to Volvo. The real tip off to me was when the car required a bit of acceleration to get it to move and if you look at some of my videos you will see the car left the back and dip the front as the amount of power required to overcome the seized pads was significant and in those cases the pad material had let go rather than the pads releasing from the rotors.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe ceramic is better than metallic pads in that there is less/no dust build up on the rims, so should be better for the environment. For racing/track use I believe they also stop better once they've been heated up, but on an xc40 that rarely uses the pads on the street the metalics would stop better. If these are only going on the rear brakes then stopping distance should be minimally affected.
Ceramics will also wear the rotors more as the rotor is taking a beating due to the ceramic being a hard material. Honestly, even if Volvo releases new pads I am in no rush to get mine swapped. These seem fine and I can’t tell any difference in braking once they bed.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue
190 Posts
Very silly question.
Would you put the ceramic pads only on the rear or both front and rear?
So far I’m not seeing issues with the rear rotors. Part of me wants to wait and see if Volvo comes out with an actual solution.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
In theory all four, but Powerstop does not make a ceramic for the front and I like the Volvo pads in the front as they should have more stopping power and are not a problem. This is less than ideal, but solves the brake problem for now until Volvo can. I have driven 50o miles on these pads already and they are fine. Comes down to how much hassle are the brakes and if you like the car do you want to keep dealing with them or solve it for now? I ordered a third set hoping they will fit the C40 and if if I don’t get the C40 I have 90 days to return them.

Reactions: Lindzaur

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
698 Posts
Sat night was raining, was driving for an hour in the rain
Sun - all day didn't use car
Mon - Put on Reverse, NO movement. Back to Park then Reverse again, with harder push on pedal. Big "THUNG", my heart sank. As the car was pulling out of garage, I could hear slight "thung" as the wheels were turning. I feared for the worse (AGAIN), but once driving down few houses, the slight sounds went away.......10 miles later, seems to be back to normal. Just not a pleasant experience.....

This is after NEW Rotors and Pads were installed in June (picked up in May) after the Car had to be towed away. In comparison, back in June, the car squatted badly and HUGE THUNG when released, followed by loud thudding sounds for the next 15 miles or so.....the faster I went, the louder thudding....had to slow down to 30 mph all the way to Work, and that was when and where it was towed to Dealership - it was impossible driving above 30 mph with the super loud thudding continuously.

My conclusion is.......
1) Same issue is still present even with brand new rotors and pads (the difference here is, in June, the car was not driven for 4 days where else this time, was 36 hours)
2) HHmmm..... car CANNOT be left idle for > 24 hours after rain

Imagine come winter time.....
Company: So why are you NOT electing to work from home ?
Me: Ohh.....my $60k car needs to be driven DAILY otherwise high chance of getting towed to Dealership.....

😕

421 - 440 of 455 Posts