Volvo XC40 Forum banner
381 - 400 of 455 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have test driven a few EVs and VW/Audi do slow the torque release to behave move like an ICE car. The Mach-E was pretty quick and even the Kia Niro was surprising quick and could break the tires if you nailed it while rolling. Chevy Bolt was also fairly quick for what it is. What all the EVs have in common is the smooth quiet linear power without the rough growls and harshness that makes them feel more luxurious.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have test driven a few EVs and VW/Audi do slow the torque release to behave move like an ICE car. The Mach-E was pretty quick and even the Kia Niro was surprising quick and could break the tires if you nailed it while rolling. Chevy Bolt was also fairly quick for what it is. What all the EVs have in common is the smooth quiet linear power without the rough growls and harshness that makes them feel more luxurious.
With EV's there is no noise/vibration/harshness penalty to wide open throttle. The difference between 25hp and 200hp is how fast you go and maybe some tire noise. A well tuned forced induction v6 or V8 can sound GREAT occasionally, but the near silent power delivery if our cars is great ALL the time.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
OK wet them up when I got home. The brakes are actually cool to the touch which shows how little they are engaged. They will sit about 20 hours then I will back it out to wash it and repark for about 36 hours.
I did the same experiment when I got home after a long drive of feeling the brakes. So cool. On my off car the brakes would be super hot after the equivalent drive.

I hope your brakes are resolved and that it can spread as a solution to everyone.

Enjoy your swooshy weekend.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I was poking through the manual the other day and it seems to imply the parking brake can be engaged while moving - it doesn't seem to indicate that this is hazardous to the vehicle or for emergency use only... so maybe it's OK?
If you really want to exercise the brakes - I suggest backing out of your garage, into a pile of un-raked leaves on your driveway, blowing around in the wind. The Rear Auto-Brake camera will think its a person or bicycle, and SLAM on the brakes incredibly fast. Felt like I hit a brick wall. Yikes!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
If you really want to exercise the brakes - I suggest backing out of your garage, into a pile of un-raked leaves on your driveway, blowing around in the wind. The Rear Auto-Brake camera will think its a person or bicycle, and SLAM on the brakes incredibly fast. Felt like I hit a brick wall. Yikes!
Gah you triggered the emergency braking that just of felt great.

Did you take photos to send to Volvo to help them improve the ai/detection systems?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
OK wet them yesterday around 3pm ET. Good news bad news. A slight sound of the sticking, but not bad. A little disheartening. I washed it today and parked it. So backed out, washed, pulled back in. Car will sit about 42 hours now. If it makes anything louder than this then I file for lemon law. I wonder is the oxidation on the rotora just causes any pad to stick. These was not real hesitation, very slight, no sign of car haunching up to fight the brakes. I can live with his minor sound for now. That said the red P8 is coming Monday and I may decide to hold off on it and defer to the C40 on order to give me more time to vet the brake.s The real sad things is it has been very dry out and I just sprayed some tap water on them. I have county municipal water so can't blame that.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
227 Posts
OK wet them yesterday around 3pm ET. Good news bad news. A slight sound of the sticking, but not bad. A little disheartening. I washed it today and parked it. So backed out, washed, pulled back in. Car will sit about 42 hours now. If it makes anything louder than this then I file for lemon law. I wonder is the oxidation on the rotora just causes any pad to stick. These was not real hesitation, very slight, no sign of car haunching up to fight the brakes. I can live with his minor sound for now. That said the red P8 is coming Monday and I may decide to hold off on it and defer to the C40 on order to give me more time to vet the brake.s The real sad things is it has been very dry out and I just sprayed some tap water on them. I have county municipal water so can't blame that.

That is normal I say. They have to stick to some point as they're pressed in. Not to get welded of course. Not bad at all.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Yup I am fine with that noise when they are wet. And since the ceramics are probably harder than the OEM pads I am hoping they will never get damaged.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
OK here is a good update. Pulled car out of garage. washed the car the other day, soaped up wheels and tires then used wheel cleaner (which I have done n the past) then rinsed everything down and pulled back in garage. To make sure the pads really bite I slam the brakes hard as it is rolling into the garage. In the past this would surely cause a loud clunk. Let car sit 46 hours and below is me pulling out. Minor sticking sound, not real resistance to the acceleration. I find this acceptable. This is encouraging. I will try and wet them up again this week, but I am feeling pretty good at this point that ceramic pads are the answer. I would love to find a rotor/pad combo, but will use these pads for now.

These pads now have over 300 miles on them, so again very promising.

On a side not took car for a run to the ATL airport, 76 miles round trip, with average speed of 43mph and got 32.5 for efficiency. I did have range optimizer on and it was 60-65F today. Was hoping for higher average MPH, but darn ATL traffic only allowed some 65MPH driving. ATL airport has free chargers in the hourly parking, but in 75 minutes only put 2% back into the car. Everything was Tesla and one Mini I believe other than my car.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Not sure what is up, but put on 100 miles since yesterday, 75 ont he airport run and my efficiency is 32.1, very impressed. I did have Range Optimizer on.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
238 Posts
Kinda related to brakes - something I never heard before. I was coming down a VERY steep hill at about 40 kph, with OPD on (as usual). Stop at bottom of hill (just lifting off electron pedal) and the car came almost to a stop, or stopped and began to roll (can't recall) and I head what sounded like the brakes coming on and "growling" a bit and stopping the car. Guess maybe when you come to a stop and if it's on a steep hill it engages whatever brakes it needs to to ensure the car doesn't roll forward (or back as the situation warrants). I assumed in this situation it would just apply the rear brakes using the park brake mechanism, but it almost sounded like the noise came from the front brakes, so maybe it was using all 4 with the blended brake system and not the park brake hold function. Learning something new every day! Did the carwash mirrors/locks hokey-pokey again at the spray carwash! :) When drying the car after I left the driver's door open to avoid lock/unlock when opening and closing the doors to dry off the door jambs. Car looks so much better clean, but rain ahead.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This does in fact let you operate the friction brakes on the P8!

While driving with OPD off, put mild pressure on the brake pedal then bump the gear shift one notch forward. The motors will disengage and the drivers display will indicate that you are in Neutral. If you press the pedal too lightly you will instead get the warning about pressing the brakes to shift.

Using the brake pedal will now engage the friction brakes which can then be used to slow and even stop the vehicle.

To re-enter drive mode, again place mild pressure on the brake pedal, then pull the gear selector all the way back.

Works like a charm, although I would recommend playing with it first at slower speeds on an open road.
I did it today. It works. Went down on steep hill and turned off OPD. After I gently pressed the break and changed to Neutral. It worked. Car used the breaks to stop. Grinding a lot. Have to do it again.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Kinda related to brakes - something I never heard before. I was coming down a VERY steep hill at about 40 kph, with OPD on (as usual). Stop at bottom of hill (just lifting off electron pedal) and the car came almost to a stop, or stopped and began to roll (can't recall) and I head what sounded like the brakes coming on and "growling" a bit and stopping the car. Guess maybe when you come to a stop and if it's on a steep hill it engages whatever brakes it needs to to ensure the car doesn't roll forward (or back as the situation warrants). I assumed in this situation it would just apply the rear brakes using the park brake mechanism, but it almost sounded like the noise came from the front brakes, so maybe it was using all 4 with the blended brake system and not the park brake hold function. Learning something new every day! Did the carwash mirrors/locks hokey-pokey again at the spray carwash! :) When drying the car after I left the driver's door open to avoid lock/unlock when opening and closing the doors to dry off the door jambs. Car looks so much better clean, but rain ahead.
The rolling a bit on a hill is new since 1.7

They made the opd less aggressive and the deployment of the parking brake on hills a lot less aggressive. I commented on this when I got 1.7

At first it was annoying. I had to use the brake pedal when I never had to before. Most of the brake pedal use can be coped with changing your opd behavior but it will fail to stop on some sharp slopes now.

On the positive side it is smoothing going from 0 (release the park brake smoother than it used to).

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
238 Posts
The rolling a bit on a hill is new since 1.7

They made the opd less aggressive and the deployment of the parking brake on hills a lot less aggressive. I commented on this when I got 1.7

At first it was annoying. I had to use the brake pedal when I never had to before. Most of the brake pedal use can be coped with changing your opd behavior but it will fail to stop on some sharp slopes now.

On the positive side it is smoothing going from 0 (release the park brake smoother than it used to).
Yeah, well I’m not on V1.7 yet. It definitely had no trouble stopping the car...I think just once it was stopped it started to roll a bit so the brakes kicked in. This is a REEELLY steep hill...FWIW.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Yeah, well I’m not on V1.7 yet. It definitely had no trouble stopping the car...I think just once it was stopped it started to roll a bit so the brakes kicked in. This is a REEELLY steep hill...FWIW.
Be Interesting to see how 1.7 copes.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
OK, so I am a gluten for punishment. Signed for a new Red P8will pick up tomorrow. Of course before I pick it up they will put my new ceramic pads on the rear brakes.

while I was dropping off the padsto get put on the new ride I was chatting with service manager And he said Volvo,rep was asking how my car was doing. I told him so far so good or I would not be buying another P8. He did say the Volvo rep stated Volvo is working on a new pad. He also cautioned me not to do any OTA for 1.7 as they are having issues, I reminded him they did the 1.7 update for me. He did say they are expecting a new software update in mid-December. I told him I would be wetting brakes up more to be really sure, but I feel good about the brakes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
OK, so I am a gluten for punishment. Signed for a new Red P8will pick up tomorrow. Of course before I pick it up they will put my new ceramic pads on the rear brakes.

while I was dropping off the padsto get put on the new ride I was chatting with service manager And he said Volvo,rep was asking how my car was doing. I told him so far so good or I would not be buying another P8. He did say the Volvo rep stated Volvo is working on a new pad. He also cautioned me not to do any OTA for 1.7 as they are having issues, I reminded him they did the 1.7 update for me. He did say they are expecting a new software update in mid-December. I told him I would be wetting brakes up more to be really sure, but I feel good about the brakes.
Good to know about the incoming update. Thanks for posting. Where we can see what will be in it?

381 - 400 of 455 Posts