Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This discussion started in another thread but should probably be broken out separately.

Previous post: XC40 P8 deliveries delayed?

Because the XC40 Recharge (and other BEVs) use regen for a considerable amount of their braking, they don't use their brakes as often. This leads to less brake wear (good), but also allows the rotors to build up more surface rust. This isn't normally an issue but a couple of us have noticed after driving in the rain that the vehicle can have a hard time after it has been parked over night because the brakes are rusting to the pads a considerable amount (more than I've ever experienced before). This is pretty formal for all cars but there seems to be an excessive amount of it happening with the XC40s.

For the last few day's we've had quite a lot of rain and I've had this happen a few times now. This morning the brakes were very stuck, the car actually squat a good bit before it finally broke free. Once it broke free, there was an audible noise from the rear that I believe was the brake pad rubbing on a high spot from the pad and rotor rusting together. This went away after an application of hard braking and everything sounds fine now and my 20 mile commute went normally.

I'm not sure I've ever hard brakes rust that severely, especially not for sitting over night in a garage. I think this could be corrected with updated rear brake pads that are less rust prone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For what it is worth this problem has not replicated itself to the same extent for me since my initial post. I'm not sure why that would be the case as I've driven in rain a few times but I would speculate the pads wearing in to be responsible for the change. I still get a little bit of "stickage" but it's comparable to what happens with any car at this point.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts