Volvo XC40 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
So I think Volvo is getting reports of the stuck/grinding brakes. My car has been in shop 3 days now, mostly for IHU issues, but I reported the locked brakes and loud clunk I had this weekend. Since I had engaged Volvo on all my issues they are tracking everything. Volvo tech support asked a bunch of questions around the conditions of the brake lockup.

For how long was the car parked when you got the issue

Has the car been parked (not driven) for long periods

Do you regularly wash the car/how often?

When was the last time you washed the car before the brake issue occurred?
a. Was the car parked directly after washing it?

Was the car parked outside or inside prior to this issue?
a. For cars parked outside: What was the weather conditions when parking the car?
b. For cars parked inside: Is this in a heated or non-heated garage?

How has the weather been for the last week before the brake issue occurred? Specify temperatures and amount of rain/snow.

The service manager seems to think based on their conversation Volvo is hunting this issue down to find out why.

·
Registered
974 Posts
So I think Volvo is getting reports of the stuck/grinding brakes. My car has been in shop 3 days now, mostly for IHU issues, but I reported the locked brakes and loud clunk I had this weekend. Since I had engaged Volvo on all my issues they are tracking everything. Volvo tech support asked a bunch of questions around the conditions of the brake lockup.

For how long was the car parked when you got the issue

Has the car been parked (not driven) for long periods

Do you regularly wash the car/how often?

When was the last time you washed the car before the brake issue occurred?
a. Was the car parked directly after washing it?

Was the car parked outside or inside prior to this issue?
a. For cars parked outside: What was the weather conditions when parking the car?
b. For cars parked inside: Is this in a heated or non-heated garage?

How has the weather been for the last week before the brake issue occurred? Specify temperatures and amount of rain/snow.

The service manager seems to think based on their conversation Volvo is hunting this issue down to find out why.
Certainly sounds like they are hearing about it. Perhaps they are ready. This board.

step forward Volvo watcher and join the conversation.

love the obsession about washing your car … that fits with my observed car behavior. Perhaps I should cover my wherls with black sacks while I wash for now and forgo my sexy shiney lacquered up wheels for no rust …

Then again my brake hard (the p button) on the way home from cleaning seems to work for now.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8
11 Posts
Mine seems to be automatically cleaning itself. It was parked for 3 or 4 days, I park outside, and it’s been very rainy and humid. I went out today and there were typical rust spots on all the rotors, but after driving it (no clunking) the rust was gone despite no hard braking and no P button trick.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Certainly sounds like they are hearing about it. Perhaps they are ready. This board.

step forward Volvo watcher and join the conversation.

love the obsession about washing your car … that fits with my observed car behavior. Perhaps I should cover my wherls with black sacks while I wash for now and forgo my sexy shiney lacquered up wheels for no rust …

Then again my brake hard (the p button) on the way home from cleaning seems to work for now.
I was a nut about washing, I remember one January day here in Georgia I washed it with temps just below freezing and was frustrated as I was slipping on the water freezing on my driveway. That is when I knew I was a “tad” obsessive. I used to wax them

I took a gamble,on last car and did gtechniq ceramic and was very impressed. Now washing car is wash, I use a foam gun on my hose, Mr. Pink from chemical Guys a bucket of clean water with chenille mitt and micro fees clothes to dry car. My last car was beading like freshly waxed after 30 months. I did my P8 and wife’s T5 since we plan on keeping both for a while.

now thinking the leaf blower to dry might be easier and allow me to blow out the brakes better

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mine seems to be automatically cleaning itself. It was parked for 3 or 4 days, I park outside, and it’s been very rainy and humid. I went out today and there were typical rust spots on all the rotors, but after driving it (no clunking) the rust was gone despite no hard braking and no P button trick.
Hmm, could just be how wet the pads are. I wonder how many people when you start the car,put it in gear and. Do not hit the pedal (no OPD) amd see if the car starts to roll. Most of the time of my car has sat overnight or at work form8 hours the car will not roll umtil I nudge the accelerator. I suspect my brakes are sticking it was just the time I washed the car where the seized tight enough to snap/clunk free. I am in Georgia and humidity lately has been very high.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8
11 Posts
Hmm, could just be how wet the pads are. I wonder how many people when you start the car,put it in gear and. Do not hit the pedal (no OPD) amd see if the car starts to roll. Most of the time of my car has sat overnight or at work form8 hours the car will not roll umtil I nudge the accelerator. I suspect my brakes are sticking it was just the time I washed the car where the seized tight enough to snap/clunk free. I am in Georgia and humidity lately has been very high.
Could be, this is just one data point so probably shouldn’t jump to conclusions. I use OPD so I always have to tap the accelerator to move. Also in Georgia.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I think rain does not get into the breaks as much as a side blasting hose :) it would be one of those special sideways rain storms and even then would probably only get one set of wheels.

I wonder how much the chemicals we use also contribute. Some remove the surface rust layer which is probably protective and others decrease the surface tension which helps remove any grease films which are also rust protective I would think.

Have washed my car 5 times and had no problems as I drive immediately when I finish (as not at home) and do the p trick.

The one time it was washed at the detailer (getting ceramic on my glass) it sounded like a clunker when I picked her up.

I am tempted by the ceramic paint treatment. Waxing after cleaning and drying is … Tiring :p. I wonder how long it lasts. (Many variables here) but it does help
With hardness so …. Yep think I will book her in for paint treatment. Does it look as good as a good wax polish?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I agree washing and hitting wheels with hose especially since I hit the rotors and pads to wash out the dirt may be hurting, but they should know people are going to wash their car. And as I posted another thread, Volvo clearly knows about this as they are sending "new and updated rear brake pads and rotors per engineering" . Sounds like the IHU, rotors and pads have been updated sine our cars were built.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I am tempted by the ceramic paint treatment. Waxing after cleaning and drying is … Tiring :p. I wonder how long it lasts. (Many variables here) but it does help
With hardness so …. Yep think I will book her in for paint treatment. Does it look as good as a good wax polish?

I have it on my pervious car for 30 months and car beaded and shined and was slippery smooth to the touch the day I got rid of it as day I had coating done. I would get a pro to do it unless you prep the car well. Even my brand new car, they clay bar the finish, polish it and then treat it. Sure the ceramic coating is like $75 for the material, but a good detailer will make the difference. They spend almost the entire day doing the car. You also are not supposed to get it wet for the first 24 hours to let it cure.

We had a nice side by side, my wife got her RDX 3 months after my TLX in 2018 and she did not want to spend a dime on the car. Makes sense it was a lease. When I washed one car I washed the other. Washing my TLX was a breeze, her car was always a pain. More effort to clean and dry and since I never waxed it if you rubbed your fingers on the finish mine was slippery, her's was dragging and you could feel the friction.

Sicne we got our XC40's a few weeks apart I had them both done. The nice test now is she jsut got the Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light and I got the Crystal Serum Ultra. Side by side they look very similar, but my finish looks a tad glossier. Both seem to bead the same generally, but let's see in 12-24 months how they compare.

The big downside to Ceramic coating it you need to wash them with proper care. You need prer cleaners (Mr. Pink or similar) and lightly dry them with good microfiber cloths. No machine washes. I never let dealer wash my car either.

I have something like this I hang in the car when I bring it to the dealer. With a match card that I stick in front of the gauges.

Reactions: improvius

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yep think I will book her in for paint treatment. Does it look as good as a good wax polish?
It has been a while since I waxed a car. It does look good, but I would bet the best wax like pure Carnuba that may look wetter, but unless you put it side by side with fresh wax I don’t think anyone would know, but my guess is the wax might feel slippery as well. I was getting too old to spend a whole day washing drying and waxing 2 cars. It was too tiring. Now washing is a breeze and then drying is quick and easy.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The place I use gets $1000 for Serum Light and $1300 for Serum Ultra. Compared to my time waxing 3x a year over a few years I find it worth it.

Shop around. And find a real detailer not a dealership or non-detailer.
If you are up to it, you can do it yourself. Clay bar the cars, polish it amd then lay down the ceramic coat. Just watch videos on how to do it so you don’t have to redo it.

Reactions: sbixby

·
Registered
974 Posts
I wax with a good high end wax at the moment and always dry with a micro fiber and wash with the correct washing liquids but the waxing is getting old :)

I tend to wax monthly so skipping 12x a year would be lovely.

It is a lot of effort to put on the wax and a lot to take off. I will talk to our local detailer and get the ceramic paint treatment especially as it also alters the hardness of the paint. Cheers for the input.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The place I use gets $1000 for Serum Light and $1300 for Serum Ultra. Compared to my time waxing 3x a year over a few years I find it worth it.
I wax with a good high end wax at the moment and always dry with a micro fiber and wash with the correct washing liquids but the waxing is getting old :)

I tend to wax monthly so skipping 12x a year would be lovely.

It is a lot of effort to put on the wax and a lot to take off. I will talk to our local detailer and get the ceramic paint treatment especially as it also alters the hardness of the paint. Cheers for the input.

yeah and I would try many of the “it” waxes. There is also a refresher topper you can do every so often, wipe on and buff off. I did it like 3 months in and never again as I felt like to much was wasted. I may do it again soon to see how well it helps.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yep I have a wet wax I use when removing the water to help prolong the wax life as well :) I addume this is ceramic coating safe but would check before I use it after I get ceramic :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
GTechniq makes their own topper and that is what i use.

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
974 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
At the moment I use as a top up.

Love the fact it is non toxic and does a good job
I used this on the ceramic once early on, may be worth a try for you;

Reactions: SeattleCat

·
Registered
637 Posts
5 days without my car, latest is IHU is being expedited from Sweden for delivery early next week. Can't believe how addicted I am to EV driving already, these gas cars seem so crude and unrefined.

Reactions: shawkinaw
81 - 100 of 103 Posts