Volvo XC40 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yes. Someone wrote here that it deploys the breaks perfectly for cleaning and it seems too. Does just sub abs threshold breaking. Very nice.

I say just sub as I did it on a rainy day and it triggered abs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Curiosity : Did you press the P while driving ?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yep that’s it :)

It feels much more … sophisticated than hitting the breaks.

However I do agree that it is a major safety issue with the wrong kids ….

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Yep that’s it :)

It feels much more … sophisticated than hitting the breaks.

However I do agree that it is a major safety issue with the wrong kids ….
How fast were you going to brace yourself to hit the P ???!!!! I’m too chicken to even attempt. With my luck, everything will lock up and I’d fly through the windshield !

·
Registered
974 Posts
How fast were you going to brace yourself to hit the P ???!!!! I’m too chicken to even attempt. With my luck, everything will lock up and I’d fly through the windshield !
I did it at 40 miles an hour. Was nervous but hey I reckoned it would be easier than hitting the breaks hard.

It is not too bad. I think it also stops when you release the button.

Also note that when you stop am you are in park so you will have to gear before movement. This is important if someone appears whilst you are doing this.

I might print out some documentation to hand a Leo in case one sees me and pulls me over :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Having been a participant for 2 weeks, I feel the information flow is exclusively from owners to Volvo. Nothing useful has flowed from Volvo to participants so far.

I just wish the Volvo Cars USA support website (Volvo Cars USA Support - 2021 XC40 Recharge ) was half as useful as the Canada support site (XC40 Recharge Pure Electric 2021). Our friends to the north have a whole section on software updates. USA site, just a crappy FAQ that thinks the 2021 XC40 Recharge is a PHEV with a Sensus infotainment system that needs oil changes.

The brake issue is serious enough and so potentially dangerous that it should be reported to NHTSA. If it eventually triggers a recall so much the better for all owners.
UK "support" site (Volvo XC40 Recharge pure electric | Volvo Cars) is possibly even worse!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I did it at 40 miles an hour. Was nervous but hey I reckoned it would be easier than hitting the breaks hard.

It is not too bad. I think it also stops when you release the button.

Also note that when you stop am you are in park so you will have to gear before movement. This is important if someone appears whilst you are doing this.

I might print out some documentation to hand a Leo in case one sees me and pulls me over :)
This should be under SAFETY topic, the most surprising thing just happened during my Lunch trip...... Travelling on 60mph, the road was uneven, the car sort of "bounced", i could feel myself separating from the seat for a second....next thing you know, i hear this "...ZZzziiTTTttt..." The seatbelt (across the chest and waist) had REELED me in and tightened up where my torso and waist were jerked back against the seat so I was literally glued to the seat for a second before the seatbelt "releases" its grip !!!!! I had NEVER experienced anything like that.
My previous car, with a big bounce, the seat belt simply locks up at whichever length/position you're in. This one, you could HEAR the seatbelts REELING like a fishing rod ! Honestly, it scared me for a bit like.... "WOW....WHAT WAS THAT???"

So that's my another real-life "safety" experience.

·
Registered
974 Posts
That’s part of its prep to protect you.

Above you can find the other things it can and will do. It will audio warn you then it will pull in the seat belts break and even swerve on its own :)

It is very cool it does things to up your survival before the impact :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
That’s part of its prep to protect you.

Above you can find the other things it can and will do. It will audio warn you then it will pull in the seat belts break and even swerve on its own :)

It is very cool it does things to up your survival before the impact :)
WELP...so far I've experienced first hand the "steering away" and "seat belt pull" and "emergency stop if it DECIDES that object infront of you is too close EVEN THOUGH you've pressed on the brakes..."..... What a car ! :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Car was parked in garage for 3 days, not driven. This morning, on "Reverse" out from garage the Car wouldn't move, so a little pedal and there was a loud "THUD" as if the car was gripped on by "something" and released reluctantly. Driving the car on alley way the "thudding" continued as it was moving. 1) Checked tired pressure - all good 2) Checked no puncture 3) No error lights whatsoever on dashboard. The thudding sound continued next 10 miles while I have hazard lights on not wanting to drive over 40 mph. As it goes from 20-45 the road noises mask the "thudding" sound.

The "thud": It sounds like a kid attaching a Card on the bicycle wheels

Not wanting to "risk" anything running/rubbing against who-knows-what and making it worst, I went ahead and got it towed to the Dealership (10 miles away). Of course the Service Dept. calls me and said "we didn't hear anything" - REALLY ????

Has anyone experienced any of these ???? View attachment 841

Had this happen today. Any way to disable the parking brake from setting?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Not that I know of :( you never even have to hit the button as they deploy automatically.

Did you put the car away wet? Or after a cleaning?

I have left line now for multiple 1 week periods with no break grindage. Not had to do the break to clean trick for a long time.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Washed it yesterday and rolled back into garage, it scared the wife this morning when it would not move and I told he tap the accelerator and what a clunk. Can't believe that is good for the car long term.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I am always careful to drive the car a little and do some active braking after I wash the car to heat up the discs so they can dry out.

I agree it cannot be good for the car I also feel this is one of the few mechanical design problems that are present. This car does not like to be put away wet.

I think washing is worse than heavy rain as we do tend to direct it into our wheels when we are cleaning them.

I also wonder if the wheel cleaners remove the thin layer of oxide buildup on the discs which comes from moisture in the air. This layer probably has a limited thickness and is removed rapidly on use. This layer is ironically protective to a certain extent.

Without this layer the metal is exposed and now when put away wet is the ideal situation for some rust welding to occur.

This is based on my observations that the only time I have had these problems was after I washed car and put it away without a drive and some brake warming.

I also use a light to observe my brake Discs regularly to see how they are doing rust wise.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Kind of dumb to have to drive a car after washing it. I routinely wash it, pull it back in garage and drive it and detailed tires. I did not even use wheel cleaner this time as I had run out.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Washed it yesterday and rolled back into garage, it scared the wife this morning when it would not move and I told he tap the accelerator and what a clunk. Can't believe that is good for the car long term.
After the huge “clunk” and the car finally moves, does it make any further clunking sound after during the drive ?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Kind of dumb to have to drive a car after washing it. I routinely wash it, pull it back in garage and drive it and detailed tires. I did not even use wheel cleaner this time as I had run out.
Agreed it is dumb to have to. Lucky for me I have to drive to a do it your self car wash to wash Margo. Yay condo living :( come on house market.

When I had windows treated they cleaned the car and it sat around for a few hours. Discs were so rusty and grated badly and that was only a couple of hours.

·
Registered
637 Posts
After the huge “clunk” and the car finally moves, does it make any further clunking sound after during the drive ?
No, she says it was smooth driving after that. Oddly this is not the first time I have cleaner the car so was surprised, but as soon as she said car would not move I knew what is was. Never used parking brakes on any of my other cars before.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
50 Posts
This is pretty normal. I've had multiple ICE cars that did this, including my current X1. Bigger brake pads = more force to unstick.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yeah biggest issue I used to have is some times when I would back out I would hear the oxidized layer grinding as I applied the browses, but then fine after a rotation or 2.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts