Volvo XC40 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have my fingers crossed, I don't usually buy a year 1 car and this is worse, year 1 new platform and technology from Volvo. What was I thinking. Hoently if the ID/4 had been shipping AWD now I suspect I would have kept my order there. I really like this P8, but with all the BS issues, keys, software, missing functionality and now more serious issues makes me wonder.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I have my fingers crossed, I don't usually buy a year 1 car and this is worse, year 1 new platform and technology from Volvo. What was I thinking. Hoently if the ID/4 had been shipping AWD now I suspect I would have kept my order there. I really like this P8, but with all the BS issues, keys, software, missing functionality and now more serious issues makes me wonder.
I want to be fair to say given it’s the 1st generation, kinks were expected. If Volvo had better informed it’s customers, stay on top of proactive news, updates, known issues …hold the hands of Owners, the experience would have been tolerable while many enjoy the P8 - when it works what a fun car to drive! But nope…it’s crickets, owned babe to fend for themselves

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I want to be fair to say given it’s the 1st generation, kinks were expected. If Volvo had better informed it’s customers, stay on top of proactive news, updates, known issues …hold the hands of Owners, the experience would have been tolerable while many enjoy the P8 - when it works what a fun car to drive! But nope…it’s crickets, owned babe to fend for themselves
*typo…meant to say “owners to fend for themselves”

·
Registered
76 Posts
Totally frustrating - my Tech finally called after I left a nasty text message. He says eventhough they couldn’t find anything further on my car (but know there could be an inherent issue hidden) upon checking on their “database” apparently there had been cases reported as well from rust, regenerative braking to axle. He assumed me mine is not the axle (I don’t even trust that they know what they’re doing now). And apparently they send authorization release of the car to yet another third party “tech” to get confirmation from them that it’s ok to release the car” BUt wait, these techs don’t work on weekends…so sorry gotta wait till Monday.
Ridiculous - shouldn’t take so long.
My
Totally frustrating - my Tech finally called after I left a nasty text message. He says eventhough they couldn’t find anything further on my car (but know there could be an inherent issue hidden) upon checking on their “database” apparently there had been cases reported as well from rust, regenerative braking to axle. He assumed me mine is not the axle (I don’t even trust that they know what they’re doing now). And apparently they send authorization release of the car to yet another third party “tech” to get confirmation from them that it’s ok to release the car” BUt wait, these techs don’t work on weekends…so sorry gotta wait till Monday.
Ridiculous - shouldn’t take so long.
sorry you’re getting the runaround. I’m beginning to think this axle issue is a wider problem.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
My

sorry you’re getting the runaround. I’m beginning to think this axle issue is a wider problem.
Now we know there a “centralized database” that they tap into. And he did say there were reported issues of rust, new brake system and axle - the fact that owners are already bringing it in, it’s a good-to-know should be wide knowledge for all P8 owners

·
Registered
76 Posts
Now we know there a “centralized database” that they tap into. And he did say there were reported issues of rust, new brake system and axle - the fact that owners are already bringing it in, it’s a good-to-know should be wide knowledge for all P8 owners
Volvo has now started a Recharge Drivers Connect forum let’s see how that works

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The root issue is how they’re relaying and training the Volvo Dealerships who are are direct representation behind the brand. It’s customer facing. I’d not properly engaged it would be back to Owners know more, and get frustrated when the Volvo service reps have no clue - technically the techs are not customer facing. So it’s like talking to a brick wall whom we depend to relay the message to their internal techs.

·
Registered
974 Posts
These are also the Volvo dealerships whose sale staff will according to Volvo never be allowed to sell future Evs (unless they have rolled that back).

I am surprised some of these lessons were not learnt in Europe. Did they not get cars to customers a few months before us?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
These are also the Volvo dealerships whose sale staff will according to Volvo never be allowed to sell future Evs (unless they have rolled that back).

I am surprised some of these lessons were not learnt in Europe. Did they not get cars to customers a few months before us?
A great example yesterday. After the car was towed to dealership, later I dropped by to take a drive with the so called Service Rep and we couldn’t hear any noises then (of course). Then he made this statement where my jaw just dropped thinking “oh crap…he doesn’t know ANYTHING about this car…” so HOW is he even going to diagnose or at least have some directions when discussing with his tech. So ….as we were driving …
Rep: “….oh hey at least you have the latest software…others don’t even have them yet…”
Me: “…oh how can you tell I have the latest installed….?”
Rep: “..oh because your car has Google navigation…”
Me: “….ahh..emmm….all P8 has the Google Navi….”
Rep: “…oh hey…the car is new…black BLaH..”

He literally didn’t know that ! So of course in my head I’m thinking …and YOU are myP8 Service Rep? C’mon….at least know what the standards of P8 are…!!!

So how can I even have further discussion on what could possibly cause these issues ??? Eight after that I’m like “…another possibility is the regenerative brakes…”. And this point I cld tell he’s looking at Stars…

So NO Volvo - you CANNOT put just any service guy who doesn’t know anything about P8 to begin with ! Scary…..

·
Registered
637 Posts
I bet the reason they have not announced any 22 P8 builds is because they wokeup and put the model on hold while they figure this stuff out. I don’t buy chip shortages as the 22 T4/T5 models are announced. Also think it will be a while before the C40 ships.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I bet the reason they have not announced any 22 P8 builds is because they wokeup and put the model on hold while they figure this stuff out. I don’t buy chip shortages as the 22 T4/T5 models are announced. Also think it will be a while before the C40 ships.
Agree…..and so are all other model cars due to come out end of year.

·
Registered
637 Posts
All manufacturers do this. But if dealers don’t consult it , it is useless. Everything is dependent on your dealer’s service department and how customer service they are driven vs. being a profit center.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Now….I was tinting the sunroof last week….the owner invited me to their garage (since I’d been there 3 times to install tints in various parts of Car..)..Because he wanted to show me the Ford Mach-e that was dropped off to (get this) get a black color vinyl on front cover (grill) ….he says “hey ..I’ve been in business for 15 years here ..worked ion many cars including Tesla…you made a great choice on Volvo….it drives the most luxurious so far….yours was the first P8 I’d driven and it’s very well built…” Then he proceeded to open the door of Ford and pointed out how he didn’t like certain built inside….now I must say that car was super sexy! Like dark grey…and the 20-35% tint….beautiful car….. regardless it felt good to hear what the guy say !

·
Registered
637 Posts
Now….I was tinting the sunroof last week….the owner invited me to their garage (since I’d been there 3 times to install tints in various parts of Car..)..

tou we’re getting the panoramic roof on the CC40 tinted? I have been curious about that because even with the shade it has to be transmitting a bunch of heat inside. I just had the front Windows and a 6 inch top piece to windshield done this week.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
tou we’re getting the panoramic roof on the CC40 tinted? I have been curious about that because even with the shade it has to be transmitting a bunch of heat inside. I just had the front Windows and a 6 inch top piece to windshield done this week.
Yes the roof - 1st week: Front shield 2nd week: rest of car (except for driver/passenger which already has a tint) 3rd week: Roof
Now the ONLY reason I had to tint everything that I could was that…
1) fury baby In trunk he gets dropped off daily somewhere so it gets hot back there AC takes a while to get to trunk
2) my work place has ZERO shades - the car gets so hot …previously my sedan takes less time to cool off but this is bigger with many window surfaces

except for the front shield, rest of car has 98% heat rejection….

and final big reason…in TX the sun is unforgiving for many many many months…plus I’m very prone to Migraine with high heat and humidity…

So anything I could do help cool off even some, I’d take it !

·
Registered
27 Posts
Car was parked in garage for 3 days, not driven. This morning, on "Reverse" out from garage the Car wouldn't move, so a little pedal and there was a loud "THUD" as if the car was gripped on by "something" and released reluctantly. Driving the car on alley way the "thudding" continued as it was moving. 1) Checked tired pressure - all good 2) Checked no puncture 3) No error lights whatsoever on dashboard. The thudding sound continued next 10 miles while I have hazard lights on not wanting to drive over 40 mph. As it goes from 20-45 the road noises mask the "thudding" sound.

The "thud": It sounds like a kid attaching a Card on the bicycle wheels

Not wanting to "risk" anything running/rubbing against who-knows-what and making it worst, I went ahead and got it towed to the Dealership (10 miles away). Of course the Service Dept. calls me and said "we didn't hear anything" - REALLY ????

Has anyone experienced any of these ???? View attachment 841
I've had the same issue when getting out of park. It persists for a while and then goes away. Yet another issue with my 2021 XC40...very disappointing!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I posted earlier about a grinding sound from front left wheel on my two week old P8 which another poster thought could be from rust on the brakes. My P8 is now at the dealer’s for this. Their initial view pending some more disassembly is that there was an improperly seated seal during manufacture where the axle connects to the inverter. I am very worried that this may have damaged some important components and I may face further problems after this repair. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Also whether I should demand a new vehicle.
I would demand a new vehicle! But look at Volvo Care (aka #VolvoDoesNotCare)...they will not resolve issues!

·
Registered
974 Posts
My car grinded after 3 days of sitting after wet. A couple of p button breaks and it was back to good.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
162 Posts
Having been a participant for 2 weeks, I feel the information flow is exclusively from owners to Volvo. Nothing useful has flowed from Volvo to participants so far.

I just wish the Volvo Cars USA support website (Volvo Cars USA Support - 2021 XC40 Recharge ) was half as useful as the Canada support site (XC40 Recharge Pure Electric 2021). Our friends to the north have a whole section on software updates. USA site, just a crappy FAQ that thinks the 2021 XC40 Recharge is a PHEV with a Sensus infotainment system that needs oil changes.

The brake issue is serious enough and so potentially dangerous that it should be reported to NHTSA. If it eventually triggers a recall so much the better for all owners.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts