Volvo XC40 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Nice manual find.

Of course you could also just slam the breaks to do emergency breaking!!!!

Great I am now scared of hitting p whilst driving :p

For cleaning you actually do not want emergency breaking which is abs you want smooth non abs.

I wonder if the p is emergency breaking or the lock up the wheels to facilitate hand break turns ….

Love my car too much to find out.

Bristle sorry you need a new axle. Will they at lest line you a P8?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey MMK -- I'm wondering if you have the same issue as mine. This started with a bit of grinding when using OPD and releasing the accelerator. It steadily got worse until it was doing it when not in OPD and using the brake pedal. Though mostly at low to moderate speeds and not during highway driving. I've just gotten a text from my dealer's service department that they are ordering a new axle for my P8. I'm trying to get him by phone to discuss further.
Update - Just got back from Dealership......they gave me a Loaner (S60 T5, nice ride). Highlights of discussion:
  • I showed them the various texts from here regarding the Brake thread, they were almost intimidated by how much Owners were so aware and educated on (ANY) topic here ! Very quickly they fessed up "Oh yeah you know the car is Sooo new, we're all learning from one another...."
  • Before I got there, the Service guy called to say he DIDN'T hear anything. I got there, we drove together, I'll be da(&^(^#$ if that thing drove like a dream, NO sound, NO thudding sounds, NO grinding....NADA
  • I then shared the possibilities mentioned on this thread (i) Rust build-up (ii) Regenerative braking. Service guy (Ceasar) says that Dealer has ONE tech who's "supposedly" qualified to look at P8s. And even though NO sounds during our test drive, he decided for me to leave the car overnight BECAUSE....he says if it's regular rust etc, by 1 mile or so, the sounds would be gone....not > 15 miles later. So together with the tech, they will take another thorough look, this time running through the Computer to see if there are any error messages on their end. I thanked him profusely for taking it seriously and not sending me home just because no noise now. I BELIEVE that if I hadn't shown him the multiple messages here, he WOULD have just sent me home. I relentlessly, in a nice way said "....This is learning process for all...the fact that these sounds are experienced by others, something is off.....so THANK YOU for taking another deeper look...."
  • Cesar had shared that for P8s, they were instructed to report back to HQ if P8s are brought into service < 1k miles (so that's good to know)

We shall see tomorrow if there are any findings. I don't know to feel relief or not that the sound is gone AFTER it's been freakin' towed that !

Reminds me of Computer at work....after I.T. reluctantly drag themselves to help you and the issue you reported is somehow "GONE", it's annoying to them ! Or the infamous "Just reboot your Computer..." hhahhhhaa

·
Registered
517 Posts
Update - Just got back from Dealership......they gave me a Loaner (S60 T5, nice ride). Highlights of discussion:
  • I showed them the various texts from here regarding the Brake thread, they were almost intimidated by how much Owners were so aware and educated on (ANY) topic here ! Very quickly they fessed up "Oh yeah you know the car is Sooo new, we're all learning from one another...."
  • Before I got there, the Service guy called to say he DIDN'T hear anything. I got there, we drove together, I'll be da(&^(^#$ if that thing drove like a dream, NO sound, NO thudding sounds, NO grinding....NADA
  • I then shared the possibilities mentioned on this thread (i) Rust build-up (ii) Regenerative braking. Service guy (Ceasar) says that Dealer has ONE tech who's "supposedly" qualified to look at P8s. And even though NO sounds during our test drive, he decided for me to leave the car overnight BECAUSE....he says if it's regular rust etc, by 1 mile or so, the sounds would be gone....not > 15 miles later. So together with the tech, they will take another thorough look, this time running through the Computer to see if there are any error messages on their end. I thanked him profusely for taking it seriously and not sending me home just because no noise now. I BELIEVE that if I hadn't shown him the multiple messages here, he WOULD have just sent me home. I relentlessly, in a nice way said "....This is learning process for all...the fact that these sounds are experienced by others, something is off.....so THANK YOU for taking another deeper look...."
  • Cesar had shared that for P8s, they were instructed to report back to HQ if P8s are brought into service < 1k miles (so that's good to know)

We shall see tomorrow if there are any findings. I don't know to feel relief or not that the sound is gone AFTER it's been freakin' towed that !

Reminds me of Computer at work....after I.T. reluctantly drag themselves to help you and the issue you reported is somehow "GONE", it's annoying to them ! Or the infamous "Just reboot your Computer..." hhahhhhaa
Not laughing at you but the irony that the car is now behaving like symptoms you really want to show your doctor.

From others one having an axle replaced it goes to show that it is certainly not always just rust :( would be nice to have a flow chart for home diagnosis of squeaky breaks sound.

I still get excited about driving my P8. So far have been lucky and had no real issues on things that are meant to work. Fingers crossed.

Hope your car has a good dealer nap and is happy to see you in the morning :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Not laughing at you but the irony that the car is now behaving like symptoms you really want to show your doctor.

From others one having an axle replaced it goes to show that it is certainly not always just rust :( would be nice to have a flow chart for home diagnosis of squeaky breaks sound.

I still get excited about driving my P8. So far have been lucky and had no real issues on things that are meant to work. Fingers crossed.

Hope your car has a good dealer nap and is happy to see you in the morning :)
Well said ! "Symptons" and exactly, I texted my Dealer contact and said if an axle has to be replaced, it's more than the ears can "hear" so will be on the watch for it.
Same here, STILL super excited when I climb into Car - no lag at all when maneuvering...I have to remind myself it's NOT a low profile sports car - hahahh!

The ordered accessories (Protective grille in the back and Sunglass case, replacement of handle, will be arriving tomorrow - Dealer will be putting them on) - Let's see what tomorrow brings....

And Oh, I also bribed my contact with products from my Company as a "token of appreciation" for responding on my text/call....... what can I say....catch more flies with honey than vinegar.....the things we do for our Cars !!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
According to the owner's manual, if you press and hold the 'P' (Park) button while moving the P8 will do emergency braking using the foot brakes (read: friction brakes).

I've not tried this, but it suggests you could find a safe stretch of road, accelerate to a reasonable speed, then 'hit the brakes', thereby excersizing the friction brakes and scraping them clean.
So I just tried this. Pressing and holding the 'P' button does trigger emergency braking within a second or so. It's 'spill your coffee' level of braking, and not 'lock up the wheels' level of braking, and it does indeed use the friction brakes.

If someone really wants to scrape the rust off their rotors, two or three emergency stops from 25 or 30 mph seems a reasonable way to do it - just don't do it while enjoying a hot beverage 😉

·
Registered
517 Posts
Nice!! A new trick to our bag. Does it warn you it’s going to do it as by definition you have to have 1 hand off the wheel.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So I just tried this. Pressing and holding the 'P' button does trigger emergency braking within a second or so. It's 'spill your coffee' level of braking, and not 'lock up the wheels' level of braking, and it does indeed use the friction brakes.

If someone really wants to scrape the rust off their rotors, two or three emergency stops from 25 or 30 mph seems a reasonable way to do it - just don't do it while enjoying a hot beverage 😉
I'm too chicken to attempt that !

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have noticed that at times after the car sits when I first put it in D (no OPD) the car takes a nudge of the pedal to start moving, also like the friction brakes are enough of a bind/drag on it to hold the car still. Does not take much pedal to get it going, but I assume if I left the car for a week like that it might be worse.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I have noticed that at times after the car sits when I first put it in D (no OPD) the car takes a nudge of the pedal to start moving, also like the friction brakes are enough of a bind/drag on it to hold the car still. Does not take much pedal to get it going, but I assume if I left the car for a week like that it might be worse.
That's EXACTLY what happened to mine 2 days ago, ending up getting the Car towed to Dealer yesterday. I had not driven the car for 3 days....then I put on "R" (no OPD), it took more than necessary "heavy step" on pedal to move the Car which gave out THE loudest "THUD" as if the car was super forcefully yanked in order to be released from the "hold" - it felt like the brakes were super-glued to the wheels. From there it was downhill.....thudding sound as the wheel were turning ....for the next 15 miles.....I dared not go beyond 45mph fearing something was wayyy too wrong.....even had someone climb under the car to see if anything got stuck, and the sound was loud enough neighbours could hear it !

I'll be picking up from the Dealer today, but yesterday, they drove it, nothing. I got to Dealer and drove with them, I'll be darn there were NO repeated thudding sounds either....HHmmmm..... Will see what they say. It shouldn't be THAT unpleasant and loud for 15 miles !

·
Registered
250 Posts
This is not a ne phenomena for EVs' sounds like Volvo did not give it much thought. They can test by wetting up the wheels and brakes and letting car sit for 2 or 3 days and see what happens.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
This is not a ne phenomena for EVs' sounds like Volvo did not give it much thought. They can test by wetting up the wheels and brakes and letting car sit for 2 or 3 days and see what happens.
Now the question is -- say you leave the car for a few days (especially after there's water etc), is it then OK to continue driving the car until the noises go away ?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Great question, you travel and take car ot airport and leave it and come back to that issue, not a good scenario.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Great question, you travel and take car ot airport and leave it and come back to that issue, not a good scenario.
Exactly the case - the worst paranoia is "is it going to make things worse if I continue driving??"

·
Registered
250 Posts
Exactly the case - the worst paranoia is "is it going to make things worse if I continue driving??"

Did you lease or buy? If lease who cares, if a buy I would be more concerned. I made the mistake of buying mine as I want to keep this 6+ years. I am quickly resetting expectation that if Volvo does not take their heads out of their butts on car I will keep it until the loss is tolerable.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Did you lease or buy? If lease who cares, if a buy I would be more concerned. I made the mistake of buying mine as I want to keep this 6+ years. I am quickly resetting expectation that if Volvo does not take their heads out of their butts on car I will keep it until the loss is tolerable.
Buy - I usually keep my Car over 6+ years as well (at least that's what I did for the 2 previous Audis). Dying to hear what the Tech says later when I pick it up. Will report accordingly!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice manual find.

Of course you could also just slam the breaks to do emergency breaking!!!!

Great I am now scared of hitting p whilst driving :p

For cleaning you actually do not want emergency breaking which is abs you want smooth non abs.

I wonder if the p is emergency breaking or the lock up the wheels to facilitate hand break turns ….

Love my car too much to find out.

Bristle sorry you need a new axle. Will they at lest line you a P8?
And of course the axle is on back order. Won’t know how long until tomorrow. I got a loaner ofan ICE XC40. If it’s going to be a while I will ask for a P8.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
And of course the axle is on back order. Won’t know how long until tomorrow. I got a loaner ofan ICE XC40. If it’s going to be a while I will ask for a P8.
This Dealership should NOT even take on Volvo if they don’t have the resources, infrastructure etc. left the cat yesterday morning. It’s 4pm now NO ONE has called to give me an update on a freakin brand new car. The secretary of my initial sales guy suggested that I keep the loaner until Monday so I don’t have to worry about it.
oh let me see….I buy a brand new car to drive a loaner for 5 days ???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
So my new axle won’t get here until first week of July. At that point I will have been the proud owner of a state of the art Volvo fully electric car for 8 weeks and it’s been drivable for 2.5 of them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
So my new axle won’t get here until first week of July. At that point I will have been the proud owner of a state of the art Volvo fully electric car for 8 weeks and it’s been drivable for 2.5 of them.
Totally frustrating - my Tech finally called after I left a nasty text message. He says eventhough they couldn’t find anything further on my car (but know there could be an inherent issue hidden) upon checking on their “database” apparently there had been cases reported as well from rust, regenerative braking to axle. He assumed me mine is not the axle (I don’t even trust that they know what they’re doing now). And apparently they send authorization release of the car to yet another third party “tech” to get confirmation from them that it’s ok to release the car” BUt wait, these techs don’t work on weekends…so sorry gotta wait till Monday.
Ridiculous - shouldn’t take so long.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts