Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got just over 13k miles on my car and somewhere around 11k miles it developed a slight vibration w/ a subtle noise when pressing the brakes. I thought it went away but I've noticed it again a few times lately when braking hard. Tonight I was watching TheTopher's review of the new V60 on YouTube and he mentioned he's driven a couple new Volvos with vibrating brakes lately, including the XC40. Just curious if anyone else has experienced it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Motorman409

Here's the deal on mine.
~20,000 km (~12,000 miles) the brakes are vibrating at various speeds. Generally from 70-100 km/hr in a controlled stop.
Went to the dealer (I have a very good dealer - Valentine Volvo) and went for a spin with the shop manager - Bill.
He feels it, (he's a car guy) and thinks it's the rear brakes. In the shop, and the rear rotors (run-out) are way out of spec.
Rear spec is 0.075 mm, they are 0.184 mm. Rotors replaced.
Technician doesn't like the feel, back in the shop (did I mention that this is a good dealership?)
Checked the front run-out, and it's worse.
All four rotors replaced.
Brakes are good since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Vibrating

Hello Motorman409,
Thank you for your post.
Bought my XC40 on April 17, 2019. I love the car. While driving recently I feel a vibration wasn't sure why or what caused the vibration. Not the first time. After reading your post about the vibration and brakes . I feel maybe the vibration is coming from the brakes? Never had a car do that before. I will be going to the dealer for my plates and I have a list I will add this to the list.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, thanks for your reply, Motorman409. Appreciate the information. You are fortunate to have access to such a good dealer. I'll start to push mine on this issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Motorman409,
Thank you for your post.
Bought my XC40 on April 17, 2019. I love the car. While driving recently I feel a vibration wasn't sure why or what caused the vibration. Not the first time. After reading your post about the vibration and brakes . I feel maybe the vibration is coming from the brakes? Never had a car do that before. I will be going to the dealer for my plates and I have a list I will add this to the list.
Do you feel the vibrations while braking or in general? I have a vibration issue with mine above 65 mph and have taken it to the dealer 4 times now. Not sure what is causing it yet but now the dealership is saying its normal. I have two other cars which are driven on the same roads and I don't feel the vibrations in those cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts