Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have others noticed a good deal of brake odor? I never overuse or "ride" the brakes, but I often smell hot brake odor. No warning lights are on. Also, is it normal to have to tap the gas to disengage the parking brake?

·
Super Moderator
177 Posts
How new is your car? I do remember some general burn off smells when the car was brand new. The condition you’re describing is the auto hold feature. Press the button with the A within the circle on the center console so the light is off and let us know if that solves your concern.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shouldn't the brakes release automatically when the car is in gear? Why would a driver have to release the parking brake or auto hold manually on a Modern car?
Also, the auto start/stop feature is now not working the same as before (when I took my foot off the brake, the car would restart immediately) now I have to press the gas pedal to get the engine to restart. ???

·
Super Moderator
177 Posts
The brakes will fully release when the car is in gear and Auto Hold is switched off. With Auto Hold on, the brakes will remain set at a stop until the gas pedal is depressed. This is a matter of personal preference. You can toggle Auto Hold on and off as I described with the button on the tunnel console. I think the issue of the engine shutting down at a stop is an independent feature called Auto Start/Stop. It operates somewhat in tandem with the brake Auto Hold when both are activated. It causes the engine to shut down at a full stop under certain conditions, to save fuel. The engine will automatically restart upon lifting your foot from the brake or, if brake Auto Hold is activated, upon depressing the gas pedal. The engine Auto Start/Stop feature can be toggled on and off from your center display function view. There is a rectangular button for that. Sorry your dealer didn’t demostrare these features to you upon delivery. They do, in fact, represent modern safety and fuel efficiency technology, but there absolutely is a learning/comfort curve. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The brakes will fully release when the car is in gear and Auto Hold is switched off. With Auto Hold on, the brakes will remain set at a stop until the gas pedal is depressed. This is a matter of personal preference. You can toggle Auto Hold on and off as I described with the button on the tunnel console. I think the issue of the engine shutting down at a stop is an independent feature called Auto Start/Stop. It operates somewhat in tandem with the brake Auto Hold when both are activated. It causes the engine to shut down at a full stop under certain conditions, to save fuel. The engine will automatically restart upon lifting your foot from the brake or, if brake Auto Hold is activated, upon depressing the gas pedal. The engine Auto Start/Stop feature can be toggled on and off from your center display function view. There is a rectangular button for that. Sorry your dealer didn’t demostrare these features to you upon delivery. They do, in fact, represent modern safety and fuel efficiency technology, but there absolutely is a learning/comfort curve. Hope this helps.
Thank for explaining the nuances of these features. i think the Owner's Manual is silent on the fine points of much of the car. I am really beginning to hate this car. It's like being tortured my having to use a PC again.

·
Super Moderator
177 Posts
Unfortunately it’s the nature of progress. Safety and fuel efficiency standards mean these features are becoming standard on all cars. It’s almost not possible to find a car sold without the auto shut off. At least in the XC40 you can turn that off... in some cars you can’t. I encourage you to make an appointment with your dealer to go over these features. They shouldn’t have sent you off without doing that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts