Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the brake lights come on when you slow down using one pedal driving? The volvo dealer said they didn't, so it always bothers me when driving, although no one has rear ended me so far.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Do Volvo dealers use a Volvo issued magic eight ball!!!

The common knowledge is lights do come on when using opd past a certain decel threshold. How does the dealer not know this!

That said I have not 100% tested this so I guess I will get one of my spouses to stand there while I opd and different levels to see if and when they come on.

I do believe someone else did this test on another thread which is why I did not do it then.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Citizen scientist tests as of tonight

Opd 100% triggers the break lights.
Verification method. Rear mirrors in the dark can see the red reflecting of things.

What % decel causes it. ANY.
Any amount of lack of accel causes it.

By this I mean that even lightening up on the accel pedal a little deploys the break lights.

Break lights stay in until you are accelerating. This includes zero decel/accel. If you come to a halt the lights stay on until you accel out of it.

So this means coasting will cause them to stay on. Not confirmed yet.

Will test a opd down hill accel on the way home :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Citizen scientist tests as of tonight

Opd 100% triggers the break lights.
Verification method. Rear mirrors in the dark can see the red reflecting of things.

What % decel causes it. ANY.
Any amount of lack of accel causes it.

By this I mean that even lightening up on the accel pedal a little deploys the break lights.

Break lights stay in until you are accelerating. This includes zero decel/accel. If you come to a halt the lights stay on until you accel out of it.

So this means coasting will cause them to stay on. Not confirmed yet.

Will test a opd down hill accel on the way home :)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
No worries. I had been meaning to test it but kept forgetting. I still need to do the down a sharp hill test.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know if the brake lights come on when you slow down using one pedal driving? The volvo dealer said they didn't, so it always bothers me when driving, although no one has rear ended me so far.
a friend stood behind my car as I used it - she indicated they did come on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts