Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
have any of you experienced similar issue as described in quoted link ? brake groan
I have been driving mine XC40 for 2 months and still can hear this annoing groan at very low speed, I would say almost at 0 mph when maneouvring or slowing on a slope or trying to move another yard when breaking without hiting the wall.
The volvo service said it's normal on cars with automatic transmition and I could check it on S60 where this noise exists as well.
Well, I could live with that but my wife is getting crazy hearing it.
Any advice?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So no one has really experienced an issue with groaning brakes? Am I really the only one?
Hi I just purchased a new xc40 3 weeks ago and since driving it out the garage has what I call brake groan. I can sympathise with your wife I hate it....I took it back to the garage they said the car is safe the service engineer said he has a lot of complaint about the noise but there is nothing they can do so I am handing the car back. Its such a shame as its a lovely car but I am not listening to that as the service guy couldn't tell me if it would get any better or worse. Volvo really need to look at this issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does your car have an automatic gearbox?
That groan only comes up when maneuvering at low speeds by applying the brakes. All Geartronic XC40's have this, nothing can be done to avoid this, not even changing the brake pads. But it does not get worse: I have put 50.000 Km on now and the sound is still the same as the day I got the car.

·
Super Moderator
260 Posts
Have not had a groan but my rotors did fail prematurely. Just take it in, especially if still under warranty. Brakes are nothing to gamble on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my XC40 3month ago. Groaning sound is terrible. It comes from front brakes on slow speed when maneuvering. Dealership says that this is not a problem but feature. This answer made my wife cry (as she drives it everyday). I wonder maybe to change brake pads to ceramic Brembo or change disks? This can not be normal under any circumstances. If other brands (BMW , Mercedes) does not have this problem, there must be solution!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts